Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RIP my Griffen
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a Griffen Vulcan for many years. Mine was one of the first that Tony built and was used to show at expo's. It was a great solid ride. Sunday after an early morning ride up Mt Lemmon (sleep deprived and oxygen deprived) I made THE bonehead of all bonehead mistakes! Yes drove into the garage with bike on roof rack! Doh...I was the biggest idiot of idiots at that moment. the results...

So, yesterday (Monday) the search for a replacement began. Thanks to the gang at TriSports.com the search did not take long at all. They fitted me on a new Felt B2R TTR (Screamin freakin yellow w/ Sram Red components). I got a basic fit and am now giving it the final few tweaks and getting some time in the saddle. TriSports will be doing the final finish (shortening cables, cutting bar extensions) tweaks Thursday. The service and knowledge was outstanding. All involved were very friendly. A big thanks to all that were involved!

Impressions from my first ride today...Wow! It is fast. It ride smooth and fit me well...I was very comfy although I still need to dial it in just a little. I rode a route that I ride often. About 30 miles. My effort level was the same as on My Griffen. I rode 5 minutes faster! Can't wait to do it again once I am completely dialed in.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have to give you credit, you certainly didn't leave any question whether it's toast.

you should strip it down and mount it over your garage as a warning to all tri bikes - 'this is what happens when you try to enter'.

oh, yeah, and your own boneheaded-ness

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duct tape and super glue will have that griffen road ready in 15min.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
duct tape and super glue will have that griffen on Craigslist in 15min.

Fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billy, sorry for your loss, but nice job on the replacement.

~Tucker

Shop at: TriSports.com

"Stick to the facts man, they are good enough, no need to go making stuff up." - STP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, a clean kill. You don't seem to broken up about it. Maybe it was a subconscious move to get a new bike :) Or maybe that new Felt soothed you quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Griffen was due to be a wall mounted! It was the first one made?.....COOL! My last Zipp 2001 is destined for the shop wall!

You should have asked on ST whether or not the frame was ridable, or should it be repaired? : )

See ya this weekend!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about this. I can't see the photos from work but it sounds bad.

This is why I bought a hitch rack. Any bike I have would certainly not last for many years if I drove around with them on the roof. I make bonehead mistakes all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful, with the yellow of the new one, and Brian's bright red, you two might be mistaken for [very small] fire trucks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect for you to sticking with that bike for that long. Most folks get a refresh like every 2 years. You deserve it. It's unbelievably beautiful.

"Paulo knows where to find me."
Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [ironjew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should just buff out.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Last edited by: jhaggard29: Mar 3, 09 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
duct tape and super glue will have that griffen road ready in 15min.
You should know, I hear tell you got through the desert duathlon on duct tape and zip ties... :D

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why dont you just say you wanted a new bike?

that lousy excuse of driving through the garage door bla bla bla is old...

:P

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billy,
When the rest of us want a new bike, we just go and buy one. There's no need to justify your purchase to the rest of us. :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is you car/bike rack and house? (pics help, too)
Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Billy,
When the rest of us want a new bike, we just go and buy one. There's no need to justify your purchase to the rest of us. :)

Chad

You, clearly, are not married ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's one way to get more drop in the front ;-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something to be said for good ol' low-tech steel... when I did the infamous garage trick, it tore the whole rack off the roof of my car instead. Bike ended up fine other than a scuff on the brake/shifter hood, but had to replace the rack towers and bike tray, and get a bunch of body/paint work done on the car where the bike and/or rack bounced off the trunk on the way down. I think replacing the bike would have been cheaper in my case (probably less than a Griff, though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That just hurts. That is one of the saddest things ever.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you are not alone! Been there done that!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a guy who used to be so cutting edge, I now feel old school by still riding my '01 Griffen Vulcan with non-carbon, aluminum Syntace bars. F$#K, I have become that guy who I would look at in disgust for riding with cage pedals. I can't believe I have sunk this far down, I am a relic.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP my Griffen [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear tell you got through the desert duathlon on duct tape and zip ties.
In Reply To:

I would never use duct tape on my bike. It was copious amounts of electrical tape holding my srm together that enabled me to get through the last race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad -- I did the exact same thing a few years ago with my Trek 9.8 carbon hardtail MTB. It ripped the bike and roof rack completely off of my car, denting and scratching the top and breaking off my radio antenna in the process. The whole tangled mess crashed to the ground; I jumped from my driver's seat and ran back to assess the damage. The bike wasn't even scratched. Damn that was a great bike. I rode it for a few more years and then sold it a while back. Indestructible that one was!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rip )-:
I will ride in black bike shorts on this very sad day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new garage parking spot today that has some LOW clearance...

I may have to print our one of your pictures to tape to my dash when my bike is on top of the car as a reminder.

It does however look like everything worked out well in the end ;-)

Travis
dumb blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next