Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Rosie Ruiz
Quote | Reply

Long before Mike Rossi and Frank Meza there was probably the most famous marathon cheater of all: Rosie Ruiz.
According to the Washington Post (and first posted on LetsRun), Rosie passed last month at age 66.

"Ms. Ruiz, who later went by Rosie M. Vivas, was 66 when she died July 8, according to an obituary her family placed with a funeral home in West Palm Beach, Fla. The obituary said she had been diagnosed with cancer more than 10 years ago but did not specify where she died."

As a Bostonian who grew up at the foot of Heartbreak Hill in Newton I still have vivid memories of her "victory" in 1980.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go big or go home.

Takes a certain moxy to cheat for the overall win.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intervals? What's that?
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I remember Bill Rodgers calling BS on her on live TV the day after the race, saying that she didn't look like a runner and asking what she ran for intervals as part of her training and her giving that response. She still insisted over the years whenever asked that she ran the whole thing. Also had a few arrests in the 80s including for stealing from her employer. She clearly had some issues.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at that race. Ruiz stole the spotlight from Jacquie Gareau, one of the most gracious winners Boston has ever had. Pretty shameful and now we have Marathon Investigations to our the frauds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OG cheat

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big time cheat gets big time, shameful obit.

Reminds me of some guy in L.A.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know who but I want to...
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Rosie Ruiz [ryanderrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thread is locked. But the point is if you don't want newspapers writing about your "alleged" cheating upon your death, perhaps you shouldn't cheat in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
News made espn today.

https://www.espn.com/...ourse-cutter-dies-66

quote "according to an obituary that made no mention of her Boston Marathon infamy." ... What did espn expect?

Why list out the names of each of her family member? Is this too far? Shouldn't we let her family mourn in peace?
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 8, 19 18:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a woman, still in a place in time, maybe just not a correct time, God bless.
Quote Reply