Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?!
Quote | Reply
I can't seem to get over this thing where I am blowing, coughing, or otherwise trying to clear mucous. It is really bumming me out, as I don't know if working out would make this thing spread (I have made that mistake in my younger years). It could just be damned nasty allergies. Who knows?

Any input on what I should do?
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the same thing every Spring. I've been able to fight it off so far, but this morning, after a run and a ride yesterday, I was hacking up green stuff. Not good. I guess I'll take it easy today and do nothing, just in case. I would be interested in hearing what others do to prevent/cure this ....
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got it too. Totally drains my energy. I tried zinc lozenges and those seemed to be helping a bit, but I ran out and never got more.

I've tried Claritin too, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Tylenol is the best thing I've found so far. Doesn't help the energy thing, but does help with the sore throat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I feel your pain! I have been stopped up and shit draining down the back of my throat for a week now. Cant sleep worth a crap at night because I keep clearing my throat etc... and I wake up with a sore throat, hoarse and feeling like Ive been run over by a truck.

I never used to have spring allergies just fall but it seems like something has changed lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being an allergist I may be biased, but why dont you get tested to know if you are allergic?
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [Duman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem here, except this year I've been doing much better than normally.
I reduced my training by about 10-20%, tried to get lots of sleep and most importantly I blew the crap out of my nose, constantly.
If it got plugged up I'd make sure I drained it. Nasal saline spray helped with that (just a saline solution spray, not the medicated kind). When it was at it's worst I'd spend 15-20 minutes in the morning blowing my nose, but I'd make sure I can breathe freely before I stopped.

http://www.optruth.org/
Last edited by: haris: Apr 5, 05 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [haris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone previously posted about a steroid nasal spray that their doc gave them...totally cleared up the snot-rocket problem. Try a search for it, I can't remember when it was but I think it was at least 6 months ago.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have green mucas, or clear?

from what I understand green indicates infection. if you have an infection, you'll need to take care of yourself so that you can get better.

recently I was out for about 11 days due to a head and chest cold. what I had sounds similar to what you have.

so, to encourage healing I ate lots of tobasco on everything. spicy foods like that decrease the production of mucas.

also, avoid dairy. dairy increases the production of mucas.

made lots of honey lemon tea. basically-juice lemons, add honey and very hot water.

drink lots of hot chicken broth--organic.

eat at least one orange a day.

for the chest issue I took oregano extract from the health food store. also a cough sryup called Olbas helped me not to cough--it's all natural and was like a miracle for me.

rest, rest, rest.

keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [dogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you are an allergist I have a couple of questions for you, if you want to answer as it would be considered free advice.

I am allergic to molds, grass, ....

I used clariton D (24 hour) and Flonase for years. Once Clariton went over the counter, I dropped the Flonase.

My questions are:

1) What is the best pill out there? Clariton, Tavist, Allegra,...

2) Is it possible to develop an immunity such that one should change medications every 6 months or so?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Nasonex and Flonase are the two steroid nasal sprays I've used, but just diligently blowing my nose and helping it along with regular saline solution worked better for me.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dont become immune to any of the meds you mentioned, your symptoms just get worse. You need to know what they do so you have reasonable expectations. First saline nasal rinse is fantastic and you can do it as often as you want/need. Antihistamines (claratin, allegra, zyrtec, benadryl, etc) work quickly (30-45minutes) but typically only improve symptoms by 20-30%. Steroid nasal sprays (flonase, rhinocort, nasocort, nasonex) will improve the average patient symptoms by 50-80%, however they may take 2-6 weeks of regular use before you note the full benefit. So basically you have to take them every day. Your problem is you have both spring (grass) and fall (mold) allergies so you pretty much need to use one year around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs,

Thanks for the free advice!!!

Yeah I'm screwed w/ the allergies but it keeps me from having to do yardwork :)

I've been needing to see an allergist for years after going to one regularly for 10 years, but he moved away.

Here in TX, especially Houston, many of us seem to have allergies. I even tried getting shots for 1 year, every Friday, but after a year I wasn't making progress as the dosages got stronger and stronger. Then again you allegists would hate to actually cure me permanently? - Hah!

Thanks again for the free advice. I think I'll find a local allegist and get back on the steroid nasal sprays.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want to check them out first at www.aaaai.org, www.acaai.org and www.abms.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've had a cough for over a month i can't get rid of. feels like i've got dust in my chest sometimes. not really any congestion to speak of. most of the coughing is in an effort to get rid of the itch or tickle or whatever you want to call it in my throat and chest. it's mostly a dry cough, but when it's not, what i cough up is yellow or clear.

went to the doc and he prescribed flonase. it hasn't helped a lick. he is calling me in something new today.

anyone got a diagnosis for me.

________

70.3 is the cousin to OD........ Ironman has no relatives! -Simon Lessing

Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [johnsonpt1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cant figure it out over the computer, however flonase is for your nose, so I would not expect it to help your lungs. You may need lung function testing +/- a chest xray to figure it out. There are too many different things that can cause those symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My nose runs constantly on the bike whether it is cold or warm. Nothing seems to help. I think it is just allergies.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yellow mucous. I only get it in the morning. But I slept an extra six hours last Wednesday thinking it would help. I am getting the occasional non-productive cough (maybe a chunk of pflegm).

I guess if this thang hangs for a little while longer, I will call the doc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may if shit doesn't get better soon.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [Duman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am scared to start training hard because a little annoying cough/stuffed nose thang turned into a month long coughing fit.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the trees came out in bloom around here.

I try to be drug free, but I am thinking that could change soon.
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [brett c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully, all my responses keep this on the front page so we can have more suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone in Edwardsville has this affliction. (Doug works in Edwardsville)

It is a virus. 2 weeks is typical, but a month is not unheard of. One of my daughters has had it for about 2.5 weeks.

Rest as much as you can. call off work for a couple days if you can swing it.

since you don't go to the coffee shop anymore, I can't show you my new bikes.

Jack
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [jonnyquest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have to swing up to the cawfee shop to see your new bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to ask you for free questions...I use Flonase whenever it is so dry here in Calgary that my nose bleeds all the time (not a lot, just whenever I blow my nose there is blood in it) .... however I didn't like the thought of using a steriod, so I just use it for like 2 days here then 2 days there and so on.... you seemed to suggest that flonase doesn't work unless used steadily for some time.. is that right ??

Thanks,
Trev

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: RANT: Is it Allergies or just a f***ing cold!?!?! [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Someone previously posted about a steroid nasal spray that their doc gave them...totally cleared up the snot-rocket problem. Try a search for it, I can't remember when it was but I think it was at least 6 months ago. "

My Dr. just put me on Nasarel (flunisolide - corticosteroid) nasal spray as well as amoxicillin for the secondayr nasel infection. I have had this off and on for a month but a 4 day trip to Las Vegas took it to a new level. I am hoping this as well as rest will get me back on track in time for Wildflower.

Dave
Quote Reply

Prev Next