Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by NickMa
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6 is classified as an ultra distance triathlon. 70.3 is classified as long distance triathlon, so you would still be competing in long course if that makes you feel better. I only do IM 70.3’s (10 since 2014) because I have goals I want to reach at that level (sub 5 hours). I’m getting closer and I believe more fit by taking this approach. Why go to 140.6, if you might not like your race results.

There are a lot of professional triathletes that do 70.3’s for years before doing a 140.6. Cody Beals, Javier Gomez, and Alistair Brownlee come to mind. Hell, the top ITU guys train for speed and usually don’t consider ultra distance until later in their career.

Given your age, you have time to polish your strength and fitness on 70.3’s until you feel like you want to give 140.6 another crack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your FTP looks really good. Is that based on a 20 minute test or an actual 60 minute test? Based on 20 minute test I’m also at 300W but slightly lower W/kg at 3.8. I did my last full distance at 231W(NP) with 4:51 (Kalmar) and this year I did two 70.3 at 270 and 272W(NP) with 2:16 and 2:18 (Elsinore and Ruegen).
I guess your 5:20 bike would be at about 190-200W and the 2:28 would be at about 240-250W. Maybe your training has more focus on getting a better FTP than being able to hold a high IF? Training for 70.3 would probably not cure that for the full.

Since your quads get very tired, do you sit properly on the bike? Maybe getting more use from the gluteus could solve that. You may also be too aero for your current state of mobility and that may be the cause of your problems.

Just some thoughts to get the discu going

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick to 70.3 you can train hard for that and still be a normal person (weekend brunch, going out at night, meeting guys/girls). There are also loads of things to accomplish at the distance that can bring you personal and athletic satisfaction.

But, but Kona!?! The sooner you realize it is a weird, niche obsession the more you will enjoy life, training, and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for comments.

teinvall, yes, it was a 20min test. Forgot to mention, during last halves, I also felt pain in quads/lower back after 60-70km, but managed to finish the bike because it's only 90km,

Yeah, I think you right about the bike fitting, because my lower back was also very hurting after 50km yesterday.
I always wonder if you guys have any discomfort on a Tri bikes during long rides (100 km+)? Or you always ride smoothly and can sit in aero position without any issues?
P.S. you have very decent results! Nice time with that strong winds in Kalmar last year.

mwanner13, milkman1982, yeah, you guys right. I need to think through the situation. I really do not enjoy 4-5 hours indoor bike sessions (but who does, lol?). And they are pretty necessary to race the full ironman, not to mention other things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a coach. ...or read some books.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kalmar time was from 2016 when the wind was low.

Only pain I get may be some saddle soreness but not every time. Comfort should always come before aero.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since IM Wales was just two days ago, I wouldn't make any decisions for another couple of weeks. See how the body feels and the mind feels, then make a plan. Making decisions right after a race that may not have gone the way you wanted is not a good idea as there is likely some emotion attached to it. Rest, Recover and then plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what if the decission is not to quit full distance ironman races but to wait until you feel confortable and motivated to run the next race?

I mean, you can switch even to Oly distance, and you would be able to prepare an ironman in the future only with 16-24weeks of specific preparation.. so... I would propose you not to take any decission but find a race that motivate you, and work hard to prepara it and to work in all the factors that limitate you in the full distance.

Your FTP is good, you may need to improve your economy with longer rides, or to improve your nutrition/been confortoble eaten more HC/hour....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sounds like your pretty young, why do you need to specialize in any distance. Just enjoy doing triathlon!

I think you should do some shorter races, learn to go fast, then do some half racing or Oly distance also, and if you want to do an ironman, well train up and do it.

Last thing, don't bother gloating about bike splits and power, this sport is a runners game, so become a runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Stick to 70.3 you can train hard for that and still be a normal person (weekend brunch, going out at night, meeting guys/girls). There are also loads of things to accomplish at the distance that can bring you personal and athletic satisfaction.

But, but Kona!?! The sooner you realize it is a weird, niche obsession the more you will enjoy life, training, and racing.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why aren't you doing both?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can only remember doing 2 races that were part of the ironman organization, in 40 years of multisport racing. there was the oceanside 70.3, maybe 15 or so years ago, and then the hawaiian ironman, 11 years before you were born. i've only raced my own country's age group national championships once. nevertheless, i've been able to lead a pretty enriching multisport life.

i attribute this to the anchoring of my multisport habit onto something deeper and stronger than federations or race brands. in my opinion, those who find that bedrock on which to anchor enjoy their freedom from having to decide between A and B; yes, they have A and B, along with the rest of the alphabet to choose from, and not every letter represents a race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my question was not about the brands. I was not choosing between Ironman and Challenge or Wildflower and Savagemana and other races all over the world.

I meant the length of distances - 70.3, full "Ironman", olympic and asked Slowtwitch members based on their solid experience.

I know stories about the guys that concentrated only on short and middle distances until they felt comfortable to race the ''full' distance.
Some of them told me that it's preferably to use your speed and burst qualities when you are young and race long distances later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for necroposting.

Qualified for Kona at IM Louisville (3rd place M25-29).
Felt great at both full iron distances this year (Challenge Roth and Louisville).

I guess should have used the 72 hour rule before creating this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:

Qualified for Kona at IM Louisville (3rd place M25-29).
Felt great at both full iron distances this year (Challenge Roth and Louisville).

Nice job! Cheers.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how did you resolve the sore quad issue?
Bike easier?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Copenhagen (10:38) - 1:11/5:35/3:44. I had a puncture, so the bike could have been 5:20.

Have you gotten better at changing flats?

p.s. Congrats!
Last edited by: logella: Oct 22, 19 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: Quit Full Ironman and switch to 70.3? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Nice job! Cheers.
Thanks!

mdtrihard wrote:
So how did you resolve the sore quad issue?
Bike easier?
Did more stretching of quads, but still had minor issues in quads during the training (pain in the insertion of the quad and quad tendonitis), but after the race everything's fine.

Also changed the bike position to less aggressive (added more spacers to the aerobars) - I think it helped a lot! Also no more pain in my lower back.
Yeah, also not pushing the first 1/3 of the bike leg.

logella wrote:
Have you gotten better at changing flats?
p.s. Congrats!
Haha, not really. Need to practise more, especially before Kona.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you’re such a strong and fast triathlete already, you may have more fun doing 70.3s than 140.6s. Depends on what you want to get out of it.
Quote Reply