Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine
Quote | Reply
Would it be not cool to shoot a dog trying to bite you with one of these? Air soft gun that shoot plastic pellets.

Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring it this weekend, I'll try it out on you, then you can decide if its too harsh. :)

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I get a running start?

Quote | Reply
Sure, I'm a good shot.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for the dog, it is usually the owners that need to be shot.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many dogs do you think are really out to attack and bite you? These are family pets that chase us, not wolves. Most of the dogs I see will stop and sit if you yell at them to...it is shocking what yelling sit will do to most dogs - they tend to sit.

At the end of the day we are sport like a rabbit or any other thing that they can chase...we are a toy, a game and if they do catch us more often than not they will wag and lick the salty sweat from your legs. Estee has chased a few bikes so far in her days...she wants to say hi! First person who takes out a gun on Estee - toy or not had better hope the police get to them before I do. You do know if you were to pull that out that you would be charged as if it was a real firearm right?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: May 30, 06 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a little extra explanation....we got swarmed by a Queensland Heeler and his little sidekick, some kind of Aussie Shepherd mix this last weekend. Mrs. Last Tri almost went down. It was one of about four dog pursuits that day. Owners don't do anything. I think it is sport for country folk. The sheriff won't do anything until you get bit. I'm trying to think of some negative reinforcement for the little perps.

Quote | Reply
Why not bring a puppy treat with you and make em happy? You really want these dogs pissed at you? They will remember you know - and you may not be the next bike they see. They should see bikers as a good thing, nice people with treats, not as a threat.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would not be cool, and in fact, the owner may be able to have you arrested for doing so. Might be your word against his. Carry a small spray bottle of ammonia. Works perfectly, no lasting damage, and that dog will remember not to mess with you again.

Besides - those plastic pellet guns would probably just piss him off.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is really awful to ponder shooting a dog. Take the issue up with the owner. There are very, very, very few bad dogs. Lots of bad owners. I can't believe you would even think of shooting a dog, regardless of what implement was used.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right that about 9 out of 10 just pace along side and are not a problem. These were lunging, running in front of wheels etc. Bad little hombres. I guess I could change routes but I like the route.

Quote | Reply
step 1. yell.

step 2. a water bottle squirt in the face. this almost always works.

step 3. frame pump on the noggin.

I've only got to step three once when a dog was an inch from my achillies with mouth open ready to chomp down. farm dogs are sometimes family pets and sometimes one step away from a wolf pack. when I lived in MT there was a problem with farm dogs going feral and forming packs. Once they started killing sheep the ranchers got after it but sheep are worth more than cyclists in montana.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carry dog treats with you, and toss them way away from the dogs so they go chase them.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some dogs are plain mean and some just want to smell you

the one that i have had the worst encounter in made me flip and totaled my bike...

that dog and the owner should have been shot
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many dogs do you think are really out to attack and bite you?

I'll vouch for a few. One time in Ohio, I wasn't quite fast enough and a dog ended up taking a plug of muscle out of my calf. The owners were kind enough to pay for the tetanus shot.

Last month in Virginia, another country dog, came off the front porch and was definitely zeroing in on my riding buddy. In fact she was so focussed that she completely ignored the big tree cutting power company utility truck that was passing all of us. It wasn't until the truck hit the breaks, making them squeal like crazy that the dog turned and semi rolled/flipped to avoid the truck. It almost got real messy for everyone.

It definitely is a country dog issue as country dogs are generally neither chained or fenced, see few strangers and have quite the expanded notion of territory.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all country where I ride. Most of the dogs are not a problem. I know where they live and their plan of attack. These two little cowpokes were insane. We had three riders and they were running in between the bikes. It's like they had a plan to confuse us. I am amazed we didn't have a big pileup.

Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that's too cute. The head perp looked more like this

Quote | Reply
They aren't insane, they were trying to herd you, which is their natural instinct. Neither of those breeds is particularly vicious. Carry a couple of dog treats and if they are particularly insistent on herding you, stop the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll - Shoot mean canine [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I've known a couple of pretty mean heelers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first of all, It is illegal to shoot any animal unless you a- have a lic and it is in season or B- it is actively causing you harm...why would you want to shoot something anyway. is you bike route more valuable than a dog who, to the best of your knowledge, is just chasing you for the fun of it? remember that its the owner and his lack of attention to the animal that is the problem not the dog.

I ride on the indian res. here in AZ and there are about 3 packs of dogs I have to deal with everyday on my route. the first pack comes out of their yard at full speed and I throw treats their way and they chase the treats and leave me alone. The drawback is that they associate me with treats and expect them so god help me if I don't bring any. The second pack I often let catch me and pet for awhile....they love it and one of them recently got hit by a car so she is a bit slow anyways....friendly dogs tho. the third pack (about 5 dogs) waits in a big field on the edge of the b-line hyw going toward fountainhills for me to come by...they have my schedule down and because there are so many, I have yet to stop and pet them......I try get a good start when going by the area so I can outrun them. I also make sure to go against traffic for that short area so they don't run into traffic and get killed. I doubt they would actually bite me but they have very short burst of speed anyhow so out running them is not a problem.

with that said in longform....I would advise against shooting them at all. Its just not the right thing to do and shows very bad character.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Last edited by: k-factorfan: May 30, 06 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Direct Stop works well for aggressive dogs. Did a a spray from a water bottle not work? Even my water-loving shep/lab hates to get sprayed in the face. I disagree with tossing treats, it may get you out of a jam once, but if you or other cyclists come along again it may become a game to chase for treats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you said that. Those are the #1 psycho dogs on the planet. Pound for pound the meanest, smartest little dog around.

Quote | Reply
I have one on my favorite route, a lab shepard mix that unfortunately I had to zap with Halt earlier this year. For awhile he would turn and go back to the house when seeing me coming. Unfortunately this weekend he got the angle on me, and we had another encounter with me off the bike, and the bike between us(forgot the Halt, and water doesn't stop him).

The owner(farmer)comes out and calls him off. I ask him why no leash, and of course he tells me to go ride somewhere else. Rover is getting another nose full of Halt the next trip he makes into the road.

The farm is on a corner that I turn on, so the idea of just getting up a head of steam, or out sprinting him just doesn't work.

I love dogs. I hate ignorant owners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up a cowgirl. I know cattle dogs. I wouldn't let my daughter play with a heeler. Not that there aren't some really nice ones, but as a breed, they are not known for being friendly. They are smart though.

Quote Reply

Prev Next