Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quick Poll: Training logs.
Quote | Reply
Do you keep a log?

How meticulous are you about it?

What kind of log: Computer? Written? Other (i.e. wrist top).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll: Training logs. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No log. All in memory. No need to stress over not making training totals on a weekly basis.

Quote | Reply
I keep mine in an excel spreadsheet. I use a different tab for each event (swim, bike, run, beer consumption) and races.

My notes include duration, distance, HR zone. Comments (ie. I felt like a f*%@#% pig today, I shouldn't have drank so much beer last night), and splits.

I find it useful to compare from year to year. What I find interesting is that as I get older, I get slower. My question to everyone is, "if I stop drinking beer will I age faster?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep an Excel file with the following:

Date, type of exercise, type of training (e.g. tempo or intervals or endurance or whatever), route, distance (if applicable), time, average speed (mph or min./mile), average heart rate, and calories burned (per my HR monitor). Then, I have a "comments" section where I might mention the temp, had trouble getting HR down, mile splits if relevant, etc.

I write the specifics on a piece of scrap paper after the workout and within a few days get all the info updated. Its nice to see all I've accomplished and to compare my HR in April for a given route at a given speed versus where I am today (new to much of this, so there has been some good improvements).

I put borders under rows to separate weeks, darker borders to separate 4-week training blocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, 3rd year straight in a little book. workout type, distance, speed, time, etc. i only write in how i feel if it's particularly good or bad. if it's really good, i'll write in exactly what i ate the night before too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my mileage/yardage logged on a calendar, then transcribe totals at the end of the month to Excel. Then I can track trends over time. I don't keep too much detailed info though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my training log for the last 3 months:

C'est tout.

I'm willing to share my top secret training regimen, for a modest fee.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: jasonk: Jul 19, 04 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make a detailed plan which eliminates need for a log and far more effective at gettin' things done....

Free Training Plans and Canvases: abetteranimal.com (IG: @abetteranimal )
Home Cooking: culaccinokitchen.com (IG: culaccinokitchen )
Zurich, Switzerland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the free log only feature on trainingbible.com, it allows you to publish your workouts on the web for all to make fun off. It is also easy for my coach to go in and see how my workouts are going with out waithing for and email from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Computer (using the software that came with HRM). If by "meticulous" you mean "do you always record your workouts?" then I am very meticulous. If you mean "do I include a lot of detail?" then no, just time, miles and heart rate graph (that downloads from HRM).

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have kept training logs for last 8 years. Do it all by "wrist top".
Tried the electronic versions but every time I upgraded computer or it crashed had to start over. Use a Mead compostion book 1 page per day. I like the discipilne of writing in the book and making notes and comments. For me easier to do by hand than key board.

Figure my daughter can throw them all way when I am long gone.

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use excel to record what I did, how long, how far, how I felt and other comments. I am very meticulous about it.

I use a computer all day at work so what else am I going to do?

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 19, 04 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 years of the red John Jerome Runners Log with Jim Fixx's legs on the cover. Buy the same one every November..it's tradition now.

It seems almost impossible how fast the time has gone, but I can go back to the spring of 1984 and tell you what workout I did (or didn't do) every single day. Usually just a note like "6 miles on trail 50 minutes" or "2500 meters this AM." There are lots of little life notes in all those entries too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, yes, computer on-line. It is fun to go back and take a look at both training and races to see improvements. Very meticulous in season, but less so in the off season.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll: Training logs. [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lawyers like to make lists of things to do and things that have been done. We can also be packrats, with all sorts of paper that we do not need. So, it's not surprising that I have the paper log that has gotten a lot more detailed over time. I probably have some that goes back to 1992, just about the time I met my future wife and may also have some from 1987. It is complete, with every workout since I started training for my first marathon in June 1999.

I also use an excel spreadsheet that can be found on the Dead Runner's Society website. Finally, when I started to train for my first triathlon last winter, I started using the free log only function on trainingbible.com. Lots of nicely colored charts and graphs on both computer versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Log, can't stand lists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, in excel. I write down is any aches and pains or other problems I have. I also write down when I start a new pair of shoes or cleats or change my bike set up. After a race I write in what food and drink I consumed and how I felt. I find all this stuff as useful as weekly mileage and times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the "inside triathlon" log book - has space for 2 workouts/day, daily weight, heart rate, speeds/distance, how you felt. I am good about writing in all my milage, etc, and if I felt extremely good or bad or if there was a reason for feeling bad.

I like to go back to especially good key workouts, like to keep track. I also download my hrm data to the polar software and look at the pretty graphs it makes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep a sex log. Last entery was on 4 January 1996

"Got my birthday present. She fell alseep out of bordome."

Why do I even keep this thing?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a written log for the last few years. It' just a simple and generic Excel worksheet for each month that I print and keep filed in a cheap folder for my daily 60 second update. I have columns for sleep, weight, swim, bike, run, other, and comments. I manually tally weekly totals (time only) to ensure I back-off every 3-4 weeks. It's nice to look back at data points.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll: Training logs. [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started with an excel spreadsheet. I migrated to Trainingbible.com after about a year. I have been using it for 3 years. It does all I need and more plus I don't have to take it with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Written: includes morning and evening weights, % body fat readings morning and evening (as a means of assessing fluid balance more than anything else), specific workouts, speeds of workouts, how I felt, race results, temperature (if unusually hot or cold or rainy), and anything that is motivational/instructional/informative in nature. Mostly, I use it to find patterns that immediately preceed a PR...then, I try and duplicate the pattern to achieve another PR.

Doing this has taught me: to drink more water than I thought I needed, eat more food than I thought I needed, maintain more body weight than most endurance coaches would advise (5'11" and low-mid 180's), rest more than I think I need, work hard more often than is recommended by the majority of coaches, and to recognize that feeling anxious/down/dreading a race the day before is usually a sign of overtraining.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Poll: Training logs. [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Keep detailed training log" is my favorite new year's resolution. I have a lovely black spiral notebook that has notes from Jan. workouts for the past three years or so. I do scribble notes on my marathon training schedules of my workouts -- times, splits, how I felt, that sort of thing. I don't know why it's so hard the rest of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar S710 does the job for you...very convenient...just add a few comments here and there and you need to enter the swim workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did for years, but now I get my workouts weekly via email, so I just keep a hard copy of them, plus for TT training I keep my powermeter data - I dont keep track anymore, just ride the workouts I get, seems to work well!
Quote Reply

Prev Next