Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [jcaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i agree we get to run 23mm with less aero loss and possible better rr but i still dont get it why it is the c2 rim that allows to run lower psi
surely a set psi is the presure in tyre irrelevant of witdh of tyre
why is it the c2 rim makes any differnence to this????people advise 115ish but if c2 rim 95ish????? why

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [TRINOLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trinole. Do the Hed C2 wheels need special carbon specific brake pads?

I'm debating new wheels and I'm down to Hed Jet C2 60's vs Reynolds Assault/Strike

The Reynolds you def. need carbon brakes or atleast they say the warranty is voided. Whereas, the Hed I think has an aluminum braking surface, so I'm not sure if it needs special carbon brakes?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do not need carbon-specific brake pads for the HED Jets.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [McLeod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that explains why the same amount of air in a larger area gives lower presure agreed so i run a 25 we get down to 80psi??
it still doesnt explain how the pressure of air between your ass and the ground is now ok to be 15% lower because of c2 rims
and i agree that lower psi may be ok, but if i am runnin a 19mm on regular rim or 23 on c2 surely its the psi between your ass and road that gives rr+feel and irrelevant of witdh of rim(within reason)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because its not about pressure its about force required to keep you're "ass" up. P=F/A gives F=PA. The force required to keep your "ass" up is the same no matter what tires you run. As area increases pressure must be decreased to provide the same force. Picture yourself in your normal shoes or your wifes high heels. The force required to hold you up is the same however the pressure to the ground is much different.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK ... HERE'S WHY (as explained to me by a HED representative). It's very simple.

Same tire and tube on a 23 mm wide rim will hold a higher volume of air than it does on a 19 mm wide rim. Somehow this is supposed to allow you to run lower pressure and get away with it.

Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger...

OK...I won't shoot you...but, unless that person at Hed is using a unique definition of "volume of air", that explanation is just silly...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it silly? The tire is the same size from bead to bead, but on a 23 mm wide rim, the total circumference of tire and rim is greater by 4 mm. That would seem to me to be an indisputable fact. Granted, the incremental volume doesn't sound like much, but it IS incremental.

I just did some back-of-envelope math and, unless I'm way off (which I'll acknowledge is possible), I'm coming up with about an 11% increase in area inside a cross-section of a 20c tire on a 23 mm rim compared to a 19 mm rim. I assume that translates directly into an 11% increase in volume. There's some slop in there with regard to rim edge height and how it overlaps the tire bead, but I can't see it changing more than +/- 2 points on the 11%.

That actually seems like a lot of additional air volume to me -- more than I initially expected before I crunched a couple of fast numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why is it silly? The tire is the same size from bead to bead, but on a 23 mm wide rim, the total circumference of tire and rim is greater by 4 mm. That would seem to me to be an indisputable fact. Granted, the incremental volume doesn't sound like much, but it IS incremental.

I just did some back-of-envelope math and, unless I'm way off (which I'll acknowledge is possible), I'm coming up with about an 11% increase in area inside a cross-section of a 20c tire on a 23 mm rim compared to a 19 mm rim. I assume that translates directly into an 11% increase in volume. There's some slop in there with regard to rim edge height and how it overlaps the tire bead, but I can't see it changing more than +/- 2 points on the 11%.

That actually seems like a lot of additional air volume to me -- more than I initially expected before I crunched a couple of fast numbers.

OK...take the math one step further and calculate the percent volume of the ENTIRE tire and rim internal volume displaced at the contact patch.

edit: Then, contemplate what an increase in internal air volume, given a fixed tire "span", means to how a pneumatic tire operates...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 31, 09 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edit: Then, contemplate what an increase in internal air volume, given a fixed tire "span", means to how a pneumatic tire operates...

I'd rather contemplate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I feel like I've kicked the neighborhood bully in the shin. I'd like to just run away now. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'd rather contemplate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I feel like I've kicked the neighborhood bully in the shin. I'd like to just run away now. ;-)

No worries...I don't bite ;-)

The point I was trying to make is that even with a VERY narrow tire and a narrow rim, the air volume of an entire tire/rim compared to the amount of volume displaced at the contact patch is HUGE. In other words, the air pressure inside a tire is basically constant...there is infinitely small changes in air pressure anyway due to the displacement, so increasing the air volume isn't going to make a difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm debating new wheels and I'm down to Hed Jet C2 60's vs Reynolds Assault/Strike

The Reynolds you def. need carbon brakes or atleast they say the warranty is voided. Whereas, the Hed I think has an aluminum braking surface, so I'm not sure if it needs special carbon brakes?
No - i am using the Swisstop black pads but i have also used the green ones as well. If you decide on the HEDs, I can get you a good price on some slightly used ones....

Be who you is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-
Hold on a second. If you use the same tire on a 19mm and 23mm rim width, the square inches of cross sectional area will be greater on the 23mm rim. PSI is lbs/square in, so if the cross sectional area goes up, psi goes down to get the same amount of load from the tire. Maybe I'm not following your argument, cuz I know your an engineer???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

No - i am using the Swisstop black pads but i have also used the green ones as well. If you decide on the HEDs, I can get you a good price on some slightly used ones....
Lets make a deal!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom-
Hold on a second. If you use the same tire on a 19mm and 23mm rim width, the square inches of cross sectional area will be greater on the 23mm rim. PSI is lbs/square in, so if the cross sectional area goes up, psi goes down to get the same amount of load from the tire. Maybe I'm not following your argument, cuz I know your an engineer???

You're confusing the cross-sectional area of the tire/rim internal volume with the area of the contact patch.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 31, 09 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thesis: C2 rims are to wheels what PowerCranks are to a bicycle's drivetrain.

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hed is no Frank Day.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Steve Hed is no Frank Day.

True 'dat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact patches will be roughly the same on smooth roads, as in both are really small.

Do lower pressure/higher volume accumulators displace more volume then higher pressure/lower volume ones when subjected to pressure spikes from hitting bumps/potholes? Could this be perceived as providing a smoother ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so points for c2 rims
less light bulb effect from tire (apart from using bonty aero tt) now allowing to run 23mm tyre to match rim which should give lower rr
run lower psi due to larger air volume in tyre which should give less harsh ride
??
points against
harder to fit frames
??
Quote Reply
Re: Question on tire pressure for Hed Jet C2 wheels. [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Contact patches will be roughly the same on smooth roads, as in both are really small.

Do lower pressure/higher volume accumulators displace more volume then higher pressure/lower volume ones when subjected to pressure spikes from hitting bumps/potholes? Could this be perceived as providing a smoother ride?

As I urged Bob above...do the math on the displacement volume vs. total volume for both cases.

You know, lower pressure in either case will be perceived as providing a smoother ride...so, I don't see how a slightly larger internal volume is going to change that, especially since in neither case does the internal pressure change in any appreciable manner upon deflecting at the contact patch. The air pressure in the tires acts as a basically perfectly linear spring...it's not like an air sprung MTB shock, where the spring rate rises with compression. The deflection volume vs. total volume is just WAY too small.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so points for c2 rims
less light bulb effect from tire (apart from using bonty aero tt) now allowing to run 23mm tyre to match rim which should give lower rr
run lower psi due to larger air volume in tyre which should give less harsh ride
??
points against
harder to fit frames
??

See...that's the part I've been trying to explain just doesn't quite "follow"...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As I urged Bob above...do the math on the displacement volume vs. total volume for both cases.

You know, lower pressure in either case will be perceived as providing a smoother ride...so, I don't see how a slightly larger internal volume is going to change that, especially since in neither case does the internal pressure change in any appreciable manner upon deflecting at the contact patch. The air pressure in the tires acts as a basically perfectly linear spring...it's not like an air sprung MTB shock, where the spring rate rises with compression. The deflection volume vs. total volume is just WAY too small.
"

I guess that it could be considered small, but everyone has pinch flatted before. Obviously that's an extreme hit, but big hits do compress the tire fairly substantially. I realize were talking about small things here, but having raced in a jillion different things (cars, karts, motorcycles, motocross) tire pressures always are an important part of suspension setup (not just a temp/traction deal) due to tire deflection and sidewall strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats what i have been tryin to establish earlier in thread so as i asked earlier is 90psi between your "ass" and the road irrelevant of c2 rim or not,and hence are we being told to drop psi when it is nothing got to do with c2 rims (goin by hed's logic) should we not drop psi in tyres to 95psi or so weather we are using c2 rims or not
and other points on c2 rims??
Last edited by: jcaf: Aug 31, 09 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bad929 - hit me up witha message and your contact info.

Be who you is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
bad929 - hit me up witha message and your contact info.
I sent you a PM, check your messages.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next