Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question on Garmin Foot Pod for Forerunner 405
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just bought the foot pod for my 405, and am questioning how useful it is. I was hoping to get more accurate current pace reading but still use the GPS to keep track of my distance. Is this possible? It seems like you can only choose GPS or Foot Pod for both distance and pace. I'm assuming GPS for distance should be more accurate, but the current pace information seems bogus while using the GPS. Other than getting the cadence information, I don't see how valuable this foot pod is.

Can someone share their experience on the foot pod such accuracy vs. GPS, current pace, etc. I just like to get an idea how I can use it.

Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Garmin Foot Pod for Forerunner 405 [xcool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The footpod would be useful if you run on a treadmill or in a dense city or heavily wooded area where you can't get a GPS signal. I've never used the footpod, but I agree the GPS is useless for "current pace" info (tells you how fast you may have been running 5 seconds ago?).

FWIW - I set mine to auto lap every mile, then I just watch my lap pace. Other than the very start of the new lap, it provides useful info.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Garmin Foot Pod for Forerunner 405 [xcool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Footpod-derived instantaneous pace seems to be spot on for me. (GPS-derived pace is, as you and others have said, a joke at best.)

If you haven't discovered this yet, you can use the GPS to calibrate the footpod. Plus, when you do so, the watch keeps the calibration data (distance, heartrate, cadence) as part of your workout. So you can easily calibrate the footpod every workout if you're so inclined. Only gotcha is that the watch pauses when the calibration is complete (just like you had manually hit the start/stop button). So you've got to watch/listen for the end of the calibration and then hit start/stop to continue the workout. The manual says that the distance required for calibration is variable, but it's always been 1 km for me (even though I'm using imperial units).
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Garmin Foot Pod for Forerunner 405 [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Footpod-derived instantaneous pace seems to be spot on for me. (GPS-derived pace is, as you and others have said, a joke at best.)

If you haven't discovered this yet, you can use the GPS to calibrate the footpod. Plus, when you do so, the watch keeps the calibration data (distance, heartrate, cadence) as part of your workout. So you can easily calibrate the footpod every workout if you're so inclined. Only gotcha is that the watch pauses when the calibration is complete (just like you had manually hit the start/stop button). So you've got to watch/listen for the end of the calibration and then hit start/stop to continue the workout. The manual says that the distance required for calibration is variable, but it's always been 1 km for me (even though I'm using imperial units).

So are you getting the instantaneous pace from the foot pod while getting the distance from the GPS? Is there such as setting on the 405? or do you use the foot pod only for both distance and pace?

Thanks.
Quote Reply