Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was run over by a bus in June 2018. Once body parts were working I was riding on the road later in the year. Every car or bus or truck that went by was nerve wracking but I got used to it again.

At this point I barely remember being run over while on the bike. I not worried about being hit by traffic. But I am worried about hitting pavement at high speed and dealing with ANOTHER ROUND OF REHAB. So I cut the risk on things that are higher risk of crashing be it solo riding or around vehicles

The bolded. I'm definitely a lot more cautious and slower on the downhills - even in races :(
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
I appreciate that, I already have a lawyer involved who is an established PI attorney and a cyclist and friend of a friend. Unfortunately the woman who hit me has NO insurance and has a lengthy history of legal issues. Guessing I will never see a replacement bike paid for, but fingers crossed. Denver District Attorney also involved. I am unable to ride yet, due to my thigh issue, but am chomping at the bit to even get on the trainer!

With regards to her having no insurance, your auto insurance probably has uninsured motorist coverage if you have full coverage. Good chance it covers you on a bike.

Same thing happened to my wife. Hit by a car without insurance, and our auto insurance policy ended up paying out maximum amount of our coverage to cover all medical bills, bike replacement, and pain and suffering.

I would recommend calling your insurance and possible lawyering up.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
boilerup wrote:
I appreciate that, I already have a lawyer involved who is an established PI attorney and a cyclist and friend of a friend. Unfortunately the woman who hit me has NO insurance and has a lengthy history of legal issues. Guessing I will never see a replacement bike paid for, but fingers crossed. Denver District Attorney also involved. I am unable to ride yet, due to my thigh issue, but am chomping at the bit to even get on the trainer!

With regards to her having no insurance, your auto insurance probably has uninsured motorist coverage if you have full coverage. Good chance it covers you on a bike.

Same thing happened to my wife. Hit by a car without insurance, and our auto insurance policy ended up paying out maximum amount of our coverage to cover all medical bills, bike replacement, and pain and suffering.

Already done and done. My insurance (reputable, State Farm) is telling me I would pay a $5000 deductible on a claim, which is more than my original S-works frame new, and would likely raise my rates too. City District Attorney office involved with multiple charges against her, and I have my own attorney involved. Frustrating, but happy to be alive and with less trauma than many others who have posted on here!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:
boilerup wrote:

Already done and done. My insurance (reputable, State Farm) is telling me I would pay a $5000 deductible on a claim, which is more than my original S-works frame new, and would likely raise my rates too. City District Attorney office involved with multiple charges against her, and I have my own attorney involved. Frustrating, but happy to be alive and with less trauma than many others who have posted on here!

Interesting on your rates. We were told (and it was true) that our rates would be unaffected because we were not at fault and were not driving our automobiles.

Good luck. Glad you’re OK - most important thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
How did you process it and did you get back out on the roads or switch entirely to MTB/gravel?

Not quite the same, but about 18 months ago I was hit by a truck while running (I stopped at a crosswalk and then proceeded because I thought he was yielding to me; he then hit the gas to make the left turn when I was 2/3rds through the crosswalk).

Honestly, though I'm a bit better every month, I'm not sure when I'll ever be as confident as I was before. I've run through that intersection many times since I was hit, but it's always stressful. And it's not just cars and trucks that scare me, but bikes that come too close on a shared use trail, or even fast runners passing. Anything moving fast and approaching me makes me tense. From what I've learned, this is normal. Your mind goes into a hyper-defensive mode and reacts to perceived threats that may or may or may not be similar to the initial incident.

I've worked through it with professional help, but to some extent it is what it is. I honestly wasn't that sympathetic to compensation for pain and suffering before my incident, but I sure am now. It's very hard to put a price on exactly what I lost that day. I settled for a decent amount of cash, but I'd trade it in an instant if I could enjoy my early morning runs as much as I used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you’re ok OP all things considered. I was also hit by a car a week and a half ago while out riding and reading through all these replies helped me feel I wasn’t alone in the way I felt about getting back on the bike (whenever that time comes). Thanks to the rest of you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:
Glad to hear you’re ok OP all things considered. I was also hit by a car a week and a half ago while out riding and reading through all these replies helped me feel I wasn’t alone in the way I felt about getting back on the bike (whenever that time comes). Thanks to the rest of you for sharing.

Yes, I agree, really helpful to read about others experiences and feel like I’m not alone in processing this. Hope you are well and without any significant injuries!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best piece of advice for getting back on the road came from our very own Dan Empfield. I was talking to Dan about how I was afraid to get back on the bike. His advice was simple. Paraphrasing, since it's been over a decade now, but he said two things:
First, you need to understand that bike riding is no more dangerous now than it was before you were hit. You are just now aware of how dangerous it has always been. And yet, before you were hit, you accepted this danger willingly. It's good to be a bit afraid. Because it will help keep you safe.
Second, and most importantly, you need to decide which is more important. Being afraid or being a bike rider. If you want to be a bike rider, then ride your bike. If you want to be afraid, then be afraid. But you get to decide which of those things is MORE important to you.

Ultimately, I decided being a bike rider was more important to me. I'm still afraid. But not enough to stop riding. I've gone through periods of only gravel. Zwift was a revelation for me as well. Lately, though, I've been enjoying being back on the road. I've been hit twice since my initial accident. Once moderately badly, in 2013. And once a couple years ago that was quite minor. They both shook me. A lot. As does every close call. But they are just reminders to never stop being cautious or being aware. But they are also not reasons to get off my bike

Getting back to it is a lot of two steps forward and one step back. And sometimes even one step forward and two steps back. But I still fundamentally believe in what Dan said. You decide what is MOST important to you.

Best of luck. And stay safe.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 years ago I was hit from behind by a 20 year old kid going 60mph. Miracle that I didn’t have any broken bones. But my shoulder and foot are still not right. It took a while for the rest of my body to heal all go through physical therapy. I was pretty nervous the first time I went back out, and still get a little anxious on the road. 95% of my rides are Inside now, and I will ride outside leading up to races when I need to get that “road feel” back. But even on those rides, 1hr56 minutes of a 2 hour ride will be fine, but there is always at least one incident that takes up like 2% of the whole ride that leaves you questioning whether riding outside is worth it anymore.

Garmin Varia is a really great piece of tech. At least gives you a heads up when a car is approaching from behind so you can be aware. I also have front and rear facing cameras (Cycliq). It’s hard to block out the memory like it never happened. As you know, in the blink of an eye, your life can change forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hit by a car nearly 20 years ago. They pulled out from a driveway hidden between parked cars on the side of the road. I hit the front quarter panel, flipped onto the hood, and regained consciousness as I was being wheeled into the ambulance. Nothing broken, helmet saved my life, lots of soft tissue injuries and a few broken teeth.

In many ways, I was lucky, not just because of the lack of major injuries, but also because I have no memory of the event (I think the car was blue or green?). That made it easier to get back on the bike and ride again. Pair that with the fact that I was 22 at the time, so I wasn’t mature enough to really reflect solidly on how close to serious injury/death I was.

That being said, the last 20 years of riding have been different than the years before my accident. Every car makes me anxious. I ride much more defensively and actively look for potential risk. My hands are on my brake levers and I am looking around for potential exit paths all the time (how soft is that ditch next to the road, is there a car coming behind me at the same time as a car approaching in the opposite lane, etc). Am I safe? No. Cycling on roads with cars involved risks, always. I am safer, however, than had I not been in that accident.

How do you get back out there? Slowly, cautiously, with respect for your own feelings, your fear, and your enjoyment. You don’t have to rush it, you shouldn’t expect to feel safe tomorrow, or maybe ever again, and you might decide it just isn’t worth it. There isn’t a right answer. Just take care of yourself, be careful, and reach out to the people close to you (and far from you, like on here) for support.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
The best piece of advice for getting back on the road came from our very own Dan Empfield. I was talking to Dan about how I was afraid to get back on the bike. His advice was simple. Paraphrasing, since it's been over a decade now, but he said two things:
First, you need to understand that bike riding is no more dangerous now than it was before you were hit. You are just now aware of how dangerous it has always been. And yet, before you were hit, you accepted this danger willingly. It's good to be a bit afraid. Because it will help keep you safe.
Second, and most importantly, you need to decide which is more important. Being afraid or being a bike rider. If you want to be a bike rider, then ride your bike. If you want to be afraid, then be afraid. But you get to decide which of those things is MORE important to you.

Ultimately, I decided being a bike rider was more important to me. I'm still afraid. But not enough to stop riding. I've gone through periods of only gravel. Zwift was a revelation for me as well. Lately, though, I've been enjoying being back on the road. I've been hit twice since my initial accident. Once moderately badly, in 2013. And once a couple years ago that was quite minor. They both shook me. A lot. As does every close call. But they are just reminders to never stop being cautious or being aware. But they are also not reasons to get off my bike

Getting back to it is a lot of two steps forward and one step back. And sometimes even one step forward and two steps back. But I still fundamentally believe in what Dan said. You decide what is MOST important to you.

All good advice, thanks! For me its not if I mentally get through it, but how... Cycling of ANY kind is my happy place, and I could never git it up or just ride the trainer. The "What the F..." moment just before impact is still very clear in my mind though, and I hope to never go through that again. I DO think I will lean more to gravel and MTB now, but find it hard to think about not owning a light road bike and riding up the long climbs here outside of Denver. Just a matter of time, I suppose, but will probably now look 7-8 times before going through major intersections, or avoid them altogether. The rest of the stuff I already do... cognizant of traffic, bright jerseys and socks, blinking rear light, etc etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget front blinking daylight light.

During the winter when I bike at night through rain etc, I even mount a couple on my forks, pointing 45 degrees off forward to have side visibility heading to intersections or driveways etc. . I think mini day lights facing side ways could help visibility

Mirrors add a lot of ease of mind where you might be tempted to keep checking over shoulder, cateye bm-45 for road, cateye spy for tt, they really add confidence training on open road. I was hesitant putting one on, but ended up getting a second one for the other side cos liked it should much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:

Sorry it here this happened to you. I hope you are able to get back to what you love.

That aside have you looked into bike insurance of you own? Maybe this was addressed in the thread already and if so my apologies for the redundant info.

I have coverage for all my bikes through velosurance. It won't help you in this instance obviously but may be worth looking into in the future and is a good lesson for others to be sure their covered in an accident or if their bike is stolen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit a car once. In a race. During the run. No damage to me, I'm not sure about the car.

The run went up to a T intersection with a right turn. The car was stopped, signaling left, and a police officer was directing traffic. As I ran by, the car decided to turn right and I ran right into it, hard. I thought it was funny and took off to finish the race. I don't know what happened between the police and the driver.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got hit 3 days ago on a french rural road. I had no memory of the crash when last night, as i was backing up from my driveway, i saw a flash image of me trying to avoid a car that was backing up on the road. That s the only explaination for a suden fall at 20 mph. Crazy thing is, according to strava, i imediately got back on the bike and rode 10 miles at 20 mph to get to closest town where someone called the firetruck that took me to ER. I am left with foogy head, fracture rib and painfull shoulder. Racing Milwaukee AGN as well as Almere world is history. At 53 it s also my second concusion in 2 years so i wll have to seriously weight the pro s and cons of returning to cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
How did you process it and did you get back out on the roads or switch entirely to MTB/gravel?
Twelve days ago, I was T-boned going through a green light intersection. A woman just blew through the red light as I was half way through. She was doing 30mph or so, and to this day I am blown away that I am still walking and talking. My S-works Tarmac frame was destroyed. Injuries are non-surgical acromioclaviclar joint injury, deep thigh bruise and tons of road rash. I ended up on her hood and splintering her windshield before rolling on to the pavement after she stopped. It could have been way way way worse, and I feel very fortunate. HOWEVER, I am struggling with the idea of riding road again. I love climbing the canyons and long climbs here in CO, but I have no clue how I will feel next time I am on a road with cars again. Part of me doesn't want to go there. I have both gravel and MTB, so I could just do those. So.... would appreciate any input from people who went through the same.

Not a car accident but I had a horrendous bike crash in 1996 during a bike club training ride. I was 26 yrs old, fearless and was back on my bike 2 weeks later. I did the Killington Stage race that year and did well.

I think it depends on how much you love and need road riding in your life. Back then it was everything and defined me so the thought of giving up road riding was not an option. Now that I'm in my early 50s, I don't love road riding the way I did back then. And I really dislike how my neck feels on those long rides on my tri-bike. I hate traffic and have had countless bad experiences with cars (but no accidents). As a result it was easier for me to give up road riding due to the present day dangers. I am happy splitting up big trainer rides and then immediately finishing up my training on my gravel bike on quiet dirt roads or on the mtn bike on trails. Zwift plus gravel bike = good solution for me

I'm in awe of everyone getting back out there on the roads so quickly after being hit by a car. I've said this in the past I know someone where I live who's been hit by a car 7 times and rides during the busiest time of the week where many tourists drive. This person is fearless. Everyone is different.

So sorry you got hit. I hope you feel better quickly!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [Grateful def] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grateful def wrote:
Just got hit 3 days ago on a french rural road. I had no memory of the crash when last night, as i was backing up from my driveway, i saw a flash image of me trying to avoid a car that was backing up on the road. That s the only explaination for a suden fall at 20 mph. Crazy thing is, according to strava, i imediately got back on the bike and rode 10 miles at 20 mph to get to closest town where someone called the firetruck that took me to ER. I am left with foogy head, fracture rib and painfull shoulder. Racing Milwaukee AGN as well as Almere world is history. At 53 it s also my second concusion in 2 years so i wll have to seriously weight the pro s and cons of returning to cycling.

Wow, hadn’t considered this.
Concussions are shite.
If you had a couple severe ones where you actually blacked out, that would even get me off the roads.
Dementia risk and such.
But even riding on trails, this risk exists.
Riding partner going downhill went head-first into a tree. Didn’t black out, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too, was hit by a car in 6/2018. I was riding at a good clip (Around 24 mpg--according to my Garmin), and an 85 year-old woman in a Mercedes made a left turn in front of me (She was cited by the police and was insured). Incredibly, my neighbor was nearby and witnessed the entire thing. All I can remember is coming up on a driveway on my right and seeing a car inching forward--the next thing I remembered was I was on my back in the street. The neighbor said as the Mercedes made the left in front of me I hit the right side of her car, I flew up and off my bike, did a 360 in the air, and landed on my back in the street.

I was "Lucky" in that other than extensive road rash, some severe bruising, and a permanently deformed finger, I recovered through the help of excellent physical therapy. Now? I have some issues moving my neck to the right, but otherwise I am back racing.

Since the accident I have not ridden through that same intersection-nor do I plan to (Despite it being 1/4 mile from my house). My road biking is now 90% Zwift, and 10% hanging with friends on group rides. My racing and riding has transitioned to MTB. I miss the old days, but there are just too many people getting hit by cars these days.

... and that's my story.

Do whatever feels right. It's different for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

I don’t know that I agree with all this.

With smartphones and texting, IG, FB, etc., drivers are distracted now more than ever. It’s like being on roads where 50% of drivers are drunk. I think it is more dangerous now than ever.

Regarding the “fear”, it’s less about fear and more about accepting responsibility. You’ve been hit and know it happens in the blink of an eye. It’s less about fear than it is about a risk assessment. Sure, the odds of having an incident may be slim. But the consequences could potentially be horrific. I like riding my bike. But I like seeing my family more.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

With smartphones and texting, IG, FB, etc., drivers are distracted now more than ever. It’s like being on roads where 50% of drivers are drunk. I think it is more dangerous now than ever.

Regarding the “fear”, it’s less about fear and more about accepting responsibility. You’ve been hit and know it happens in the blink of an eye. It’s less about fear than it is about a risk assessment. Sure, the odds of having an incident may be slim. But the consequences could potentially be horrific. I like riding my bike. But I like seeing my family more.

Yeah, there’s no other solution than to
condone and participate in driving distracted and texting and just ride indoors.
Just no alternative other than to support Scofflaws and Criminals and to give up your rights and freedom.

Cyclist Lives Matter!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

condone and participate in driving distracted and texting and just ride indoors.
Just no alternative other than to support Scofflaws and Criminals and to give up your rights and freedom.

Cyclist Lives Matter!

I agree with you. I’m not saying to give up. I’m saying we need to be honest and realize that it is in fact more dangerous now than before, and encourage change so the roadways can be a safer place for everybody.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Cyclist Lives Matter!

I agree with you. I’m not saying to give up. I’m saying we need to be honest and realize that it is in fact more dangerous now than before, and encourage change so the roadways can be a safer place for everybody.

Everyone who rides, in or outside, should raise his/her voice when it comes to the tolerance/acceptance of driving while ‘logged-in‘.
Paint on the road doesn’t safe lives, fines and making it socially unacceptable to drive and operate a device, do.

Yesterday I was almost taken out by some full-kitted cyclist (prob in his 20s) texting using both hands while weaving all over a technical single lane road. WTF?

I’d bet he does the same while driving…
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Jul 17, 21 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those of you have been hit by a car... [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I was hit by a car in 2012(bad). I came back and completed an IM in 2015. Have pretty much quit riding now, not so much out of fear, but I don’t trust the distracted drivers in our area now. It is so much worse than even 5 years ago. I just can’t get comfortable with the increased risk now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was struck last year on July 4 2020 and sustained moderate injuries. I'm still skidish and do a significant more riding on Zwift. Let me offer some advice. If you haven't done so already, at the very least consult and attorney. These cases are extremely difficult to navigate and you need an expert to help you work through the complexities of the process, get a police report, and avoid discussing your injuries or the details of the accident on social media and internet forums. Civil courts are back logged right now due to the pandemic last year and this favors defendants in cases like this because the insurance companies and lawyers know that plaintiffs like us are not going to want to pursue litigation due to the time it will take for cases to reach court. Protect yourself, be smart and mindful about what you say and where you say it, and I wish you all the best. This is a shitty thing to have to go through but it can be made significantly better or worse depending on what you do going forward.

boilerup wrote:
Twelve days ago, I was T-boned going through a green light intersection. A woman just blew through the red light as I was half way through. She was doing 30mph or so, and to this day I am blown away that I am still walking and talking. My S-works Tarmac frame was destroyed. Injuries are non-surgical acromioclaviclar joint injury, deep thigh bruise and tons of road rash. I ended up on her hood and splintering her windshield before rolling on to the pavement after she stopped. It could have been way way way worse, and I feel very fortunate. HOWEVER, I am struggling with the idea of riding road again. I love climbing the canyons and long climbs here in CO, but I have no clue how I will feel next time I am on a road with cars again. Part of me doesn't want to go there. I have both gravel and MTB, so I could just do those. So.... would appreciate any input from people who went through the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar case with a destroyed bike and only minor injuries in a t-bone situation.

This was before 4 months before my first IM. Since then I've had other buzz type situation which concerned me.

Each new season I have to psych myself up to go riding. I find myself making excuses not to ride and instead go for a run, swim, or even yoga instead.

Now what I am retired from IM having done 5 I can't imagine having the mental wherewithal to put many miles on my bike.

Best of luck.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next