Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims?????
Quote | Reply
Hi Superdave,

I just purchased a set of 606's with the tufo S33 21mm tires. With the deep dish rims how does one get to the valve to put in the sealant after flatting????

Should I preload them?????

If I do preload them, how long does the sealant stay effective in the tire???? Ive heard some people say 3 months, that would be a pain to take the tubular tire off and have to reload with new sealant.

What do you reccomend????

Thanks

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Last edited by: Heavy D: Jan 25, 05 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not superdave - but I could not get sealant in my 404 front after it was mounted. I had tufo's valve core extender in place - I removed the end of the valve - and it wouldn't go in - it just bubbled back out. I asked Tufo and they said it should work....haven't tried again or asked more since. I haven't used Zipps extenders (whish are not core extenders) but I'm almost sure you can't put sealant in through those so once your tubulars are mounted - you are out of luck.

Tufo told me that the sealant needs to be replaced every 3-6 months - and you can continue to put sealant in time and time again.....

Let me know if you figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I preload before a race, then chances are you won't flat at all. That's what I did this season, next year before I race I will once again preload my tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is just an irritating misplaced question, but why would you spend extra money to get a super race wheelset, and then weigh them down with tire goop?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ze Gopha, my thoughts exactly.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Untill I can drop 75lbs and get down to 150lbs like you guys maybe ill worry about the weight of my bike components but untill then its all about the motor and how fast I can go now.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ze Gopha and Styk33,

I can think of a couple of reasons to use Tufo tire sealant. 1) it weighs much less than carrying two spare tires; 2) it seals much faster (assuming a non-catastrophic failure) than replacing a tire.

Those two reasons alone are good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ze Gopha and Styk33,

I can think of a couple of reasons to use Tufo tire sealant. 1) it weighs much less than carrying two spare tires; 2) it seals much faster (assuming a non-catastrophic failure) than replacing a tire.

Those two reasons alone are good enough for me.[/reply]
Do use sealant in place of carrying a spare?

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and those schoolboy answers demonstrate why you will never by as sexy as I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that will be your decision:

1) carry 15X2 grams of sealant (for each tire) and prevent a 5-10 min loss with a tire change during a IM or not having to DNF in a OD.

2) being 1 second faster without the extra weight.

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, You huy's completly miss the point.

I have nothing against tire sealant.
What makes me go crazy is tire sealant in uber expensive wheels.
The 808's are the trick daddy dollars right now. They are incredibly expenisive to indulge the most excessive tri-geeks worried about a few seconds.
Tire sealant is for Mid-to-BOP's who don't want to ruin they're day changing a tire.
It's like putting a spare wheel in the back of a Ferarri
Can you do it? Yes. Will you get pulled over and beaten with a crowbar by a tuner? Absolutely.
You make the call, total speed, or total reliablity. I won't allow you to have both.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I don't carry a spare. Never had a flat where the puncture in the tire was greater than 2mm which is what the sealant will seal. I even train on tubulars and have never had an issue, since I started using the sealant.
Last edited by: PH: Jan 25, 05 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gopha, I think it is you who are missing the point. The sealant in both tires weighs significantly less than one replacement tire. Or are you suggesting race with no sealant and no spare, take your chances and if you flat you DNF. All in the name of coolness.

Oh yeah, almost forgot aren't we supposed to be more concerned with "aero" than weight? Wasn't that part of the "coolness manafesto?" :-)
Last edited by: PH: Jan 25, 05 14:02
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to solid tires? You could carve them to be more aero. :D

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, rehtorical question but I can't resist. Anyway, of course it wouldn't guarantee you won't get a flat but neither will carrying a spare guarantee you won't get a second or third flat (although no one deserves luck that bad). :-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you got your answer in the PM, but for everyone else, if you use an extender that relocates the valve to the outside of the rim, you can reload the "goop" whenever you like.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a special knack/trick to stop it bubbling back out and to get it down the extra length of the extended valve?

Cheers, Boing
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah I think I see the problem, with the short valve the goop goes in and only a small amount may come back out (what was left in the valve stem). I have never had the bubbling out problem but I also deflate the tire down in two or three places (mash it down, not just no air pressure) before putting the sealant tube on, it creates a small vacuum to pull the sealant into the tire (out of the stem). With no core if you fill a tire at equal air pressure inside and out with goop, air or goop will come back out when the tire tries to equalize. Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Superdave, Tufos and deep dish rims????? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Force the air out, then with the sealant tube still attached, release the tire where you've forced it out. The tire will return to shape sucking some sealant in.

Remove the sealant tube at 9 or 3 o'clock, not at 6, relative to the valve stem on the wheel.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply