Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Mike Plumb about CAF
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike, in case you don't remember me, I am the guy who borrowed your bike for the December slowtwitch palomar ride. Well, I've finally gotten around to going to the Challenged Athletes Foundation website to help sponsor you for Ironman Revisisted 2004, but I can't find your name on the website. Can you direct me to the right place? I hope I'm not too late,

Jack

I've posted publicly to bring some awareness to the cause to everyone else. Perhaps you could post some info here (if you already have, sorry I must have missed it), and maybe some others would have a few dollars to spare as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Mike Plumb about CAF [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Jack,

thanks for bringing this up. The quick link to my fundraising page is:

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=41252&lis=1&supId=1023571

for those not in the know, Ironman Revisited is a fundraising event of the Challenged Athletes Foundation. It isn't so much a race, more of an event. It's grass roots, draw a line in the sand and someone says go and we retrace the original Hawaii Ironman course starting in Honolulu. The event is limited to 50 entrants and each is self supported, there are no aid stations along the way. Last years event was won by a relay team consisting of Rudy Garcia-Tolsen (double leg amputee, did the swim), Dave Scott on the bike, and Willie Steward ("one armed Willie") doing the run, in 9:40 something.

I am doing the event for the first time with the hopes of raising $15,000 for them and any help I can get big or small is much appreciated. More general information about the CAF and their other event, the San Diego Triathlon Challenge, a half Ironman event in San Diego in November can be found at www.challengedathletes.org

Let me know if you or anyone else needs more info.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Mike Plumb about CAF [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info and link.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problem and thanks in advance for the donation. A few others from here have made generous donations as well, and thanks to all of them as well. Now if we could just get everyone to chip in $5 or $10 each, that would really be a big boast to the CAF.

maybe we can get everyone from the Becca thread to donate a saw buck for more pictures of her racing we would be over the top ;-)

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Mike Plumb about CAF [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I have the link at home and will throw down soon. To all of us that enjoy sport, CAF is a chance to help those athletes have to same enjoyment. The little kids starting out racing hand cycles at the Silver Strand Half Marathon touched my heart and I'd love to see that continue.

Paul Klingenberg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the fundraising manager for CAF (and lurker on Slowtwitch and devoted Dan Empfield fan ;-p), I couldn't help but chip into this thread. As you all know, Mike is a great athlete and champion of our sport. Although he spends most of his time helping other athletes be all they can be through coaching, he's graciously offered to help us do the same for our challenged athletes. As I type this, we are preparing the checks for our grant distribution for 2004. The fact that it's a Paralympic year makes it even more exciting, as we can hopefully help several challenged athletes achieve their goals in Athens. Donations as small as $20 can help create funding for any level of athlete - from beginner to Paralympian. We give grants as small as $200 sometimes, to help with coaching, fuel to get to races, and small equipment.

Were it not for our participating athletes like Mike and his generous supporters, the goals of our mission could not be realized. I wholeheartedly thank any of you considering this cause and welcome the opportunity to share additional information at your request.

Emily Constantini

Events and Donor Relations Manager

Challenged Athletes Foundation

www.challengedathletes.org
Quote Reply