Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Speedplay Pedals
Quote | Reply
I have used speedplay x-2 pedals for a year and I've been happy with them. Yesterday I was doing hill interval workouts and I was watching my right foot do something strange during the pedal stroke. The right foot was swinging back and forth as I went through the pedal stroke, while the left foot stayed straight. Is this okay? Am I losing power? I know that the "free-float" design allows this movement to happen. Should I be using a pedal that has little to no float so that it holds my foot straight? I don't have bad knees.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Speedplay Pedals [wolffan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen people do that many times. I would chalk that up to the natural motion of your foot in the pedal stroke and not worry about it. Just be glad that you have float and can take that natural motion, where years ago when Look was our only option you may very well have had bad knee pain from being locked into place.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Campy boy on this one. Something in your biomechanics is causing the rotation. I'd be worried about restraining that movement with a fixed position pedal and knee problems. Nobody's legs stay perfectly in line with the pedal during a revolution.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a pair of SP X-2 last year and put them on my road bike. I have always used Time pedals in the past before using speedplay. After about a month and a half of using the X-2 I ended up getting with patellofemoral syndrome. I had two of the PT's who have worked with me in the past watch me on my computrainer while switching between my tri and road bike as well as switching pedals on each. They noticed that the leg I was having problems with was doing just what yours is doing (heel swaying back and forth) with the X-2 pedal but not with the Time pedal. They suggested I not use the speedplays based on my riding style and positioning. I recovered after a few months with some strengthening work and putting the pedals on my wifes new bike. I don't know if I agree with the speedplay pedals claim of being easier on knees. I think a lot has to do with each persons biomechanics and what they have used in the past. The sports medicine doctors as well as the PT's I have talked with on this topic do not necessarily think that pedals with minimal float are a bad thing and think each individual is different. Thats my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first clipless pedals were Speedplay Xs. I thought the float was good until it was suggested I use Look or Time, due to the size of my feet. Having switched, I don't think I would go back. I have no problems with Look. To me, the big advantage of Speedplay is being double sided. I think free float is a bit too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Speedplay Pedals [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it that your foot was small or large that was the basis of the suggestion to switch from your speedplay pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Speedplay Pedals [HeatMiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Large! It was an issue of pedal platform. I know the Speedpaly argument is that the cleat is large enough, but I have found Look to be more comfortable. And the cleats are cheaper, so I don't get bugged about them getting chewed up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no PT, but I would imagine that a lot of excessive motion is probably sub-optimal. I recently switched from Speedplay (X3's) to the older-style Keywin pedals (no float whatsoever) and my knee pains cleared right up.

I think that for some people, too much float is no good at all.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also used Speedplay for many many years. Earlier this year I figured I'd go back to Look on my new Zipp 2001 just for the heck of it. I never realized that I was fighting the float on the Speedplays. I'm very glad I swtiched back to Looks. Its much easier to climb and sprint with the Looks since my heels aren't moving all over the place.

BTW - I have bad knees and hips since my right leeg is a full 1" shorter then the left (haven't used shims for over 1 year). Switching back to the Looks never bothered my knees or hips.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Speedplay Pedals [tifreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same experience. Switched to SP zeros and within a couple of weeks I'm developing a serious probelm in my left knee. Based on the recommendation of my best friend (who also happens to be my Dr.Went back to my 10 year old Looks (PP196) and everything quickly healed up. Just another example of the fact that there is no single answer for everyone.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have X-3's on my road bike and X-2's on my tir bike and have noticed the exact same thing with the left and right feet. I have no knee problems and agree with an earlier post about getting lazy and making sure not to let my foot get swinging too much. My only complaint with the SP's (X series) is in T2 as they release too easily when I step off the top of the shoe. I drop at least 1 shoe (usually the dismount side) almost every race. I read another post about this and it appears to be a common problem. That would be about the only reason I would switch to another pedal for racing, but keep the SP's for the bulk of my mileage training.
Quote Reply