Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question: HR Interpretation?
Quote | Reply
My training partner and myself, although at similar fitness levels, seem to exhibit very different HR graphs.

His "hanging-out" HR (don't ask us why we measure this!!) is usually up to 10bpm higher than mine. When we start to run it takes a MUCH shorter time for my HR to get up to the desired range, and I usually run at a 2-3 bpm higher than he does.

When we stop, my HR seems to drop more quickly than his does, back down to a pre-exercise level.

Basically, his HR is much more even than mine - higher resting but lower running, versus mine with lower resting but pronounced spikes and troughs.

Can anyone interpret for me?
Quote Reply
Re: Question: HR Interpretation? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... fitness level is but one explanation of HR differences. However, what you seem to have described (specially when you mention "hanging out" HR) most like is caused by genetic differences.

Hearts are a bit like feet. Some feet are bigger than others. Hearts can be the same. Some have hearts which are larger than others. So, HR can vary because of heart size alone.

As for spikes and troughs (i.e., HR drift) and HR drops after activity may be more directly related to fitness levels. Or, it could be their particular racing/training technique... some individuals will naturally increase pace while others will decrease pace as they progress into the activity.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Aug 31, 03 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Question: HR Interpretation? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In spite of Hardcastle & McCormick's running bet, heart rate from one person to the next means almost nothing. I remember reading somewhere that while Indurain's resting HR is in the low 30s, Raul Alcala's was in the 60s. For two Tour contenders to be that greatly different is surprising. No doubt those same differences can be seen while racing too.

I have a really low resting HR myself. I wore a Holter Monitor one night while sleeping, and my heart rate went as low as 34 BPM. And I get dropped by dudes on Huffys on a regular basis. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Question: HR Interpretation? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All true but your chronotropic response is an important indicator of fitness. Your Hr gets up faster and drops faster so id say youre fitter.
Quote Reply