Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude

That’s an impressive time on any bike ! I rode a 2-33 on 240 (I weigh about 156)

First time doing it and found it hard to keep the watts up in last 10 Miles or so

Saw you on the podium , nice work , I was up after you taking the 45-49

Hardest run course I have ever done , I was either run low 6’s or shuffling /walking like my granddad up those hills

Good luck at placid

Cheers
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:
Congrats!

What watts and w/kg got you the best bike split of the day?

I was flirting with the idea of doing the race this year...

It's a very hilly course - AP was only 263, but NP was 281 - I spent 13 minutes not pedaling at all and 50+ min over 300 watts, mostly on the climbs. I was 167 lbs the day before the race, so w/kg of around 3.5 for AP. Best Bike Split had me around 6 minutes faster on my tri bike. The slight ups and downs (up to around 3%) and the flats (although there isn't much at Quassy) is where the tri bike would have helped out a lot!

I used the road bike because the rear SRAM R2C shifter broke on my tri bike the week of the race. Tried to have it fixed, but not fixable. I could get the 'fix kit' with new internal parts, but decided to just order new shifters. I'm having my local VeloFix guy put them on the bike once they arrive.

The run had a few hills as well. It didn't help that I had to visit the porta-pottie in the middle - trying to get a sleeved suit back on when it's soaked sucks! With the tri bike and not loosing two minutes in the porta-pottie I would have been right around the winning time. At least I feel things are good heading into Placid in seven weeks - better to have a bike issue now then for my A race.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jun 4, 18 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really nice work out there yesterday. You always looked like you were on point.

My race pretty much ended at about mile 10 of the bike - started having some sciatica/nerve issues down into my foot, which never went away the rest of the day. I'm also 90% certain that there's either a rear dropout issue on the bike or a bearing issue on the HED3s - but that comes with the territory.

The thing that was frustrating is that when I could run, I was running anywhere from 7:40-9:10 - which is in line with how I glue together a 1:45ish run split. But I could only run for a couple minutes at a time before the back locked up again.

At least I got to cross the finish line with my daughter, and the kit looks good in the real world.

Now to figure out the back (probably a combo of PT/chiro/ART and bike fit), get trained, and actually be ready to race IMFL.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the race yesterday was great and well run. This was my first time at Quassy and I'd say it's one of the toughest half's I've done, up there with St. Croix and Wildflower.
The weather really cooperated; I could not imagine doing that course in 90+ degrees and high humidity.

On the bike I went 2:42 and had 236AP and 254 NP. My average and normalized both dropped a lot in the last half of the bike due to the downhills. Mid way I was at 245AP 262NP. I weigh around 186.I ended up 5th M45-49 in 5 hrs and seconds.

I think Rev3 needs more timing mats out on that course, especially the 2-loop run. For now I am going to call BS on the 1st Place M50-54 run split of 1:19, unless someone knows him to be an incredible runner. I didn't see anyone running that fast out there.

There also were not enough officials on the course. I only saw one motorcycle with a ref on it all day. Saw some intentional drafting which is inexcusable on a course like that with tons of hills and no congestion. I verbally abused one guy in my age group for blatantly riding 2 feet off someone's wheel. For all the good it did me. He just looked at me and sailed away in his pack of 3, and ended up 3rd M45-49. Is it me or does cheating get worse in the older 40+ age groups?

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traditionally there have been multiple boxes out on course for splits - both bike and run. Not sure what was up yesterday (If my memory serves me correctly, new timing company this year versus owning/operating all the equipment like they've done in the past).

As for motos, I got passed by officials 6 times out on the bike course - more frequently early in the day, but also a final sweep on the last climb of the day. YMMV.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I guess I am glad I didn't wait around for my unexpected podium spot, I called it quits after the 11:45 non-update update.

Did they say anything about award distribution? I asked Eric before I left if I could get my award some other way and he said they could mail it, but I am wondering since they called it completely what they are doing. Selfishly I want that damn trophy as it's my first, and it would have been cool to be up on the podium, but such is life.

Despite all that, I still thought it was a great event, although it was my first time doing Quassy so I have no frame of reference. Either way looking forward to next year's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy who was top 10 was showing up as normal for most of the morning into the afternoon (2:19 finisher right?). Around 12:30 or 1:00 his status must have changed for some reason as I checked the results again and much to my surprise I slid up a spot in our AG Awards from 2nd to 1st. I am assuming they correct him and I move back to 2nd at some point which will deprive me of my glorious AG win, but for my first Oly I'll take 2nd in AG and limp away happy
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like they've straightened out a lot of the results issues I was seeing yesterday. At the very least the aquabikes are separated out.

I still don't know why there are still DNFs for several (7?) people who seem to have completed all three legs and have no penalties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked again and last update is 10:21AM so they are definitely still working on them.

Nice bike split btw. I believe I remember you passing me now based on your post about your Cadence helmet and the way our splits line up. I thought I might be able to go about 1:11, but those hills we're a lot harder than I am apparently. Good work!
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I am seriously impressed. Nice work to those who made the podium. For those of you who have raced Lake Placid, which do you think is tougher, Quassy or LP? I'm planning on doing the LP half in Sept (first time). Just wondering your opinion comparing the two races. I've done some limited research, but nothing can replace empirical experience!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check out Bib #1026. This guy had the fast run of the day by a few minutes at 1:19. That's very impressive for someone over 50. Also not calling him out but I would have noticed someone in my age group running that fast and he would have passed me. He also had a T1 time of 0.00 so I think it is a timing mix up rather course cutting.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did both last year and in my opinion Quassy was tougher.

The swim in LP is as easy as it gets. For the bike you really only climb once you get on 86 and head back to LP. Nothing super steep like in Quassy. The run in LP is great and like the bike you only climb once you head back into LP.

However, the weather in LP in September can be hit or miss. Last year it was ~33-35 degrees at the race start. It was pretty cold coming out of the water and then descending into Keene.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he collect his award Biff ?

Quick athlinks search shows a 2 hr half in a half IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm #1500...what a mess.

I finished the Olympic race in 2:20 and my chip didn't work. Even worse, someone else had times linked to my race bib number. Based on photo evidence the timing company "fixed" my finish time on-site by doing some sort of overwrite, but I guess my splits were still messed up.

This morning, I looked again to check the results and my 1st place AG finish is now #484th. Crazy.

I wrote an email to the timing company (and rev3) to see if this will be fixed. I forwarded photos from my wife and Garmin files as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race yesterday, but I hope they fix my time! #1500 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKinny, I was going to ask you that. I didn't stick around for the awards.
Maybe he shaved 40 minutes of half marathon.
I don't care too much about coming in third instead of 2nd but I did have Bib #2 so I'd like things to match.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsaunders wrote:
I did both last year and in my opinion Quassy was tougher.

The swim in LP is as easy as it gets. For the bike you really only climb once you get on 86 and head back to LP. Nothing super steep like in Quassy. The run in LP is great and like the bike you only climb once you head back into LP.

However, the weather in LP in September can be hit or miss. Last year it was ~33-35 degrees at the race start. It was pretty cold coming out of the water and then descending into Keene.

Thanks for the info. This is good to know. Sounds like I should probably get myself a sleeved wetsuit and a hood to be safe.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [briordon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that really stinks.

I also finished at 2:20 and I'm pretty sure I remember you on course during the run. You and bib #209 passed me a bit before the first mile and then we all stayed within ±1 min from each other and came in right around the same times. But somehow they have you at 484th in your AG and they have #209 listed as a DNF. I hope they get your results straightened out.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the Olympic and had a great time. I usually race the Half but just got back from a week in Japan and was just too tired so I switched to race shorter. I don't recall the last time I did anything shorter than a Half IM. I bet it's been ten years. I really liked the Olympic distance.

Overall I thought it was well organized as usual (the snafu with timing at the end didn't impact me personally). The only thing I disliked was the free beer at the end!! It was non-alcoholic (there was real beer, but it wasn't free for finishers). The dude handing it out was nice, but man, I just don't see the point.

But man I'm reminded that I suck at swimming. Took me the first 1/3 to get focused and relaxed, the second 1/3 to feel a groove and the final 1/3 to remember this was a race! I was MUCH slower than I've been at pretty much any race. I think my previous Quassy 1/2 and even my IM swim times were faster in the past. Whooops!

Also a reminded that I'm not as fast of a cyclist as I thought. I didn't get passed a single time on the bike and passed 100s of people (all those non-sh*tty swimmers ;-). Felt like I was really movin and felt good. But it really wasn't nearly as good as I thought. I think I averaged 18mph. Not sure what happened there. Whoops again.

My run was ok but not as decent as it should have been considering my recent road and trail racing and general run fitness. I started off strong pushing a comfortable 6:25 but I guess the hills got me more than I expected and I ended up around 7:11. For a distance that short I was surprised.

Overall it was a good day, but I was more mediocre than I'd hoped I'd be. Oh well, next year.
My twins loved the rest of the day at the amusement park so that made it a big win as usual.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Jun 4, 18 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize that his results were screwed up too. I didn't see him at the race timing tent so I don't know if he figured it out?

Its not a big deal either way...I enjoyed the race and I'll feel the same way about my day whether they fix it or not.

Nice race yesterday!
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [briordon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
briordon wrote:
Even worse, someone else had times linked to my race bib number. Based on photo evidence the timing company "fixed" my finish time on-site by doing some sort of overwrite, but I guess my splits were still messed up.

Same thing happened to me. It appears the athlete 1 bib number higher than me was linked to my number. When looking up results online after the race I noticed my bike and run splits were off from what my garmin had recorded (forerunner 405 so didn't have the swim time). Saw that the athlete above me had identical times for swim, bike, run, and both transitions. Where did you find photos? I didn't see them on the website and was curious if I could piece together my actual time with photos although the swim would probably be difficult with the rolling start. Also tried emailing the timing company but haven't gotten a response.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only had photos from my wife. The timing officials had a finish line video though, if everything were correct this should match up with your chip and race number.

I’m used to having my chip number scanned/validated against my bib number at sign-in. At Quassy, we just got an envelope with the chip. I wonder how many athletes have mismatches?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found splits that match my Garmin data associated with a 53 year old woman labelled as DNF. Her elapsed time was 2:19:13. Either she won the women's race by 15 minutes, or she has my chip! (I estimated my time at 2:20, but it was a time trial start so I was a few seconds to cross the start). My current posted time is 4:11, so not even close (maybe hers?).

If anyone else has a weird time, you might find your time linked to another persons chip as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were able to fix my times. #209 is still showing as DNF though. Hopefully he get this fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy 2018-Athlete Guide is out..as is the Bib List--both races same day, we'll see.. [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Nice race out there! I ended up 6th OA and think you motored past me in the 2nd half of the ride.

Is that 240 AP or NP? I’m curious what setup were you running for bike/hydration? I had the shiv frame bladder filled along with 2 bottles on the rear which I think was a bad idea for such a hilly course.

I rode a 2:38 and pushed AP 228; NP 241 and weigh about 156-158 lbs as well. Although I think my bike + nutrition was pushing 25lbs 😱
Quote Reply

Prev Next