Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it?
Quote | Reply
Contemplating signing up for this race. I am a MOP female triathlete - strong swimmer, decent cyclist, poor runner. I've heard that this course is insanely tough. Can anyone who has done it let me know what I'm potentially getting myself into?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just registered yesterday, I'll be following this thread.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quassy is a hilly course, and not one for a PR - unless it's your first 70.3. At least the swim is pretty straight forward!

Bike - It is less than 56 miles, but over 4k feet of climbing. I had the top bike split this past year on a road bike (tri bike broke the week of the race) at 2:28. I would have been maybe 3-4 min quicker with my tri bike. Compared to a flat bike course like Eagleman, I'd say there is around 15-20 minutes difference (I've done 2:11 at Eagleman). There is very little flat terrain - either up or down, and the road quality isn't great.

Run - The course changed this year from a one loop to a double loop utilizing the Olympic run course - not sure if there will be an Olympic option. The run had well over 1k feet of climbing, with some pretty steep hills. The first few miles are a good drop, then two lops with hills and back to transition. I'd say it is around 4-6 min slower than a pancake flat course, but could be more depending on ability.

The weather is also a big 'what if?' The two years I did Quassy the weather wasn't that hot. However, there have been several days where it's been in the upper 80's to low 90's, so that would slow times down a bit as well.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think exactly how tough depends on where you're from and what terrain youre used to.

That being said, its tough terrain. Half bike I think has around, if not a hare above, 4000' elev gain, and it's a mix of all types of hills - including numerous short steep pitches as well as screaming descents.

The run course has 2 sizeable climbs on each loop. Solidly difficult climbs, and the downhills are punishing on tired legs too. One of the subsequent downhills is very steep, I almost had to walk down it so I didn't fall.

It's a very tough but fair test IMO. Don't expect to PR! I'm sad rev3 is no longer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is slower not tougher. Any race is only as hard as you make it.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it a few years ago and enjoyed the course. There was a decent amount of climbing on the bike but nothing so steep that forced me out of the saddle. The scenery was wonderful as it was super green and just lovely out there. The run was steeper than I had expected. I ended up about 30 minutes slower than normal for me. But I liked it, fun race. Rev3 did a great job running it (let my son run down the chute with me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you ever raced Muskoka 70.3? The bike reminded me of Muskoka. No big climbs, but lots of up and down. The run was tougher. It been a while, I raced it in 2015, but I think the final mile to 2k was uphill. Good course, but it was the one year of Challenge, so I imagine a lot less athletes than they'll get in 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
Any chance you ever raced Muskoka 70.3? The bike reminded me of Muskoka. No big climbs, but lots of up and down. The run was tougher. It been a while, I raced it in 2015, but I think the final mile to 2k was uphill. Good course, but it was the one year of Challenge, so I imagine a lot less athletes than they'll get in 2019.

I've done both, although it was the older Muskoka course. I'd say the Muskoka course was a tiny bit more hilly than Quassy, but pretty comparable.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I have only done a few HIM races, but it is a very tough course. For comparison, I finished 20-25 minutes slower than my time at Timberman, both races done in the same year with similar fitness levels. The bike course is incredibly difficult, and the run course is not much easier.

I would estimate at least 15-20 minutes slower than your time on a flatter course. I biked a 2:44 at Timberman and 3:12 at Quassy, and the 3:12 almost killed me.

Oh dear lord. I biked 2:50 at Timberman. Yikes. I think I may be passing on this race!
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For comparison

My best ever bike at Quassy in 4 attempts was 2:52. That did include about a half-mile run in bike cleats due to flatting that far from T2 and realizing it would be faster to just run. Second best Quassy bike (without flatting) was 2:53

My best ever Timberman ride in 5 attempts was 2:33. Second best was 2:39.

So I think 15-20 minutes difference is legit. The long climb in the middle of Quassy is just a monster time suck

Best I've ever done on uber-flat Eaglman in two attempts is 2:24.
Best ever bike at very flat Patriot in 4 attempts is 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coincidentally I've done all of these races you mentioned. I wish they would bring back Timberman, it was such a great race! I'm registered for Eagleman again the following weekend so it will be quite a difference in terrain from one weekend to the next.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Daniel Clarke wrote:

I've done both, although it was the older Muskoka course. I'd say the Muskoka course was a tiny bit more hilly than Quassy, but pretty comparable.

And this coming from YOU. You're, lets say, a STRONG cyclist :)
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, Quassy is the early-season, take-your-lumps race. You don't go there for a fast time or an easy course. You go there to get your ass kicked and to work out the kinks so that the *next* race you do is relatively easy.

In years past I would actually go and do both the Olympic and Half for that reason. What a weekend. A shame that it's had to shrink down to just a half and just an IM-branded one.
Quote Reply
Re: Quassy/Ironman 70.3 Connecticut - How hard is it? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree...most people, myself included, seem to use it as a tough training day.. i've done it most years....always a challenge no matter how fit you are. it's relentless with the hills on the bike and run, but it's an awesome race! challenging, beautiful, well -run ( at least in past years) i am signed up again as prep for lp! sign up! you won't regret it:)
Quote Reply