Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q for Philbert (not PC :-)
Quote | Reply
do you have any idea on the occurences of abnormalities of Heartbeat patterns in trained athletes?
specifically:
1. reverse T wave (with repolarization at effort)
2. pre ventricular contractions
3. atrial fib.

(had the first when I did my first ECG after some years of training, and is always there, have the second when training a lot, and had 3. last year, one really hot day after a 6hr brick, that stopped by itself)
Quote Reply
Re: Q for Philbert (not PC :-) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

In general, arrythmias are no more common in athletes than the general population, with the exception of sinus bradycardia (i.e. slow heartbeat). This is more common in endurance athletes than the general population, however, it appears to be a normal adaptation to training and is not dangerous so long as it is asymptomatic (i.e., you aren't passing out in your breakfast).

I have read that t wave reversal, peaking T waves and exercise reversible changes in T waves can all be considered normal EKG findings in athletes. You can look up the article at your local university library: Zehender M. ECG variants and cardiac arrhythmias in athletes: clinical relevance and prognostic importance. Am Heart J. 01-Jun-1990; 119(6): 1378-91.

I have also read that PVC's are equally common in athletes and nonathletes, and are not a problem until you start seeing several in a row. then you get your defib :^)

Atrial fib is a different story. I remember reading this is more common in athletes than nonathletes, but I do not remember where or why. Afib is common in enlarged hearts in general, whether or not this is true in the athletic heart I do not know. Theoretically, short bouts of it are not disasterous, but if left unchecked it is possible to form clots in the atria, which can be dislodged, shot out of a ventricle, and give you a stroke, infarct a piece of lung, etc. You would be wise to consult a cardiologist with experience with athletes on this front.

Please remember that I am just a med student, so don't construe any of this as medical advice! I only know what I have been taught, and what I have had time to read, which often times does not have much relation to the way things happen in the real world.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Q for Philbert (not PC :-) [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, I am not american (yet) so I am not going to sue you for malpractice...besides, why would I sue for only $250,000 ;-) (if this ever passes...an other great idea...of junior)

thanks for the tip. the AF occured last year. went to the ER, they were all jumping all over the place, stayed like that 5h, then the cardiologist arrived and my HR was back at 40 or less, then they were jumping all over the place again execpt the cardio guy who said all was normal.
I was just wondering if that was more common in athetes. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Q for Philbert (not PC :-) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the picture of the ER scene. I have been diagnosed with what my Cardiologists think is atrial fib, but they're not sure. Usually when I get it it only lasts for a couple of minutes though I have had the occasional bout that will go on for hours. I simply try to stay fit, away from excess caffeine, and take two asprin every morning to minimize the clotting risk that Dr. Phil (hee hee) mentioned.

Now I'm no doctor either, and am not suggesting you should start popping asprin and putting down that cup of espresso. I'm just letting you know what my docs have me do. Then again, what works for one computer geek might work for another...
Quote Reply
Re: Q for Philbert (not PC :-) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Away from Caffeine???? are you nuts or what? you want me to have a heart attack? :-))

the cardio said that AF can happen completely isolated in some cases. never happened since then
Quote Reply