Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purchase Race-Branded Merchandise - Poll
Quote | Reply
We have the chance to see some really cool race director merchandise from all over the country. RDs are really creative in their branding, logo design, and overall merchandise development. My question is would racers purchase race director branded merchandise from events they had never personally participated in? Or, do you only wear/buy race-branded merchandise from races you have participated in?

So, there you go - would you purchase race-branded merchandise from an event you did not participate in?
Last edited by: ultrasu: Mar 15, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Purchase Race-Branded Merchandise - Poll [ultrasu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope and I'm at the point of no longer purchasing race branded stuff from events I have done. I don't think I've purchased anything race specific since 2013 or 2014.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

I wouldn't even buy merchandise from a race that I had participated in.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchase Race-Branded Merchandise - Poll [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never had a problem wearing shirts from events I didn't participate in. One of my best friends had a national T-shirt production company and he gave me over runs or blems from colleges I never went to, states I had never been in, sport teams I didn't care about and races/events that I didn't exactly know where they were from. I never wore jerseys with world championship stripes until I was given one as a gift and still feel sheepish wearing it.

At this point in my life I will probably never buy a logo shirt again as I have several boxes of them in storage from old races. A figured out the Emergency rooms and hospitals can use old clean T shirts. I try to donate a few every time I clean the closet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By now I only take the I cluded t-shirt. If I went to world's I would buy something.

When I was new and did my first half and full I bought something extra e.g. a shirt, a cap etc. But I realise I have plenty of training clothing and don't need more clutter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard no.
About the only thing I ever would purchase is possibly a tech running t-shirt at an event that I attend - partly as souvenir, partly because I would actually use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ultrasu wrote:
We have the chance to see some really cool race director merchandise from all over the country. RDs are really creative in their branding, logo design, and overall merchandise development. My question is would racers purchase race director branded merchandise from events they had never personally participated in? Or, do you only wear/buy race-branded merchandise from races you have participated in?

So, there you go - would you purchase race-branded merchandise from an event you did not participate in?

We rebranded our races for last year and have some pretty cool merch (if I don't say so myself), but I would be shocked if we sold it to anyone who did not participate in our races, with the exception of old closeout t-shirts (3 for $15 type thing). On a personal note, that's the only time I have bought shirts for a race I didn't participate in, close out tech-shirts just b/c I needed some for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.

I think this is part of the business model of races that has shifted. Producing custom merchandise is a big expense ...upfront for races.

But I think It’s first time ...first season first few years where you buy a lot of branded race gear. First few year I loved shopping the race expo. Bought lots...love it.Now I buy a water bottle and maybe a super awesome tee or visor if I see it in the store. That’s it.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchase Race-Branded Merchandise - Poll [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
About the only thing I ever would purchase is possibly a tech running t-shirt at an event that I attend - partly as souvenir, partly because I would actually use it.

I know that I've mentioned this before, but I have found that - in the weight room - a tech race shirt is a pretty effective Invisibility Cloak

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I won't wear gear from races I didn't do, no matter how cool it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. i love getting the tee-shirt from races i attend, but i personally wouldnt wear something i didnt participate in.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others, unlikely as I have more than I need already but if there was something really unique I might reconsider it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. But I do appreciate when the goody bag / take home is something besides another t-shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't personally buy or wear a race-branded shirt from an event I didn't take part in, or more specifically complete. And I don't usually use the shirts I get for free, unless you count cleaning bike chains as use.

The exception being the last finisher's shirt I picked up, which was black and from an event in Norway. I wear that thing all the time.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply