Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [SethB] [ In reply to ]

SethB wrote:
chaparral wrote:
SethB wrote:

Just because her husband did nothing, doesn't mean nothing happened. The majority of people are neither prepared for or able to react to confrontation, especially physical.

Bottom line, is a man knocked a woman to the ground.

That says it all, at least in my book.

If that was my wife wife or daughter, barring an apology, I would have had a conversation with him and then helped put him in the ambulance. Right, wrong or indifferent you live with the consequences of your actions and you get what you get.

Where do you get that she was knocked to the ground? She does not say nor does the original blog say she was knocked to the ground.

Be that as it may, she was hit, no?

This woman walked backwards across a race course without paying attention to her surroundings. That is dangerous and she should be happy that she did not hurt anyone.

Her lack of SA is no excuse for his actions, no?

Also, great that you resort to violence. That is a mature and reasonable way to deal with things. What if she hit a woman? Would you put that woman in an ambulance? I am glad that you are a big tough man, but I am sure your wife would prefer you were not in prison for assault.

Who said anything about her hitting a woman? What does that have to do with this situation? There is no resorting to anything. Actions beget reactions, like I said earlier, you get what you get.

If a woman hit your wife, would you then utter the same line about putting the woman in an ambulance.

Not that hard to figure out once you put away your daydreams of vindictive manly retribution.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

Goosedog wrote:
JimR wrote:
. . . and taking things seriously.

Seriously!
DAMN RIGHT, man.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
If a woman hit your wife, ... .

First, I was like, "Oh, hell yes. That's hot." Total misread.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

For one thing my ol'lady is 6ft. tall, has red hair and the temperment to go with it. I'd like to see some chick try something like that.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [JimR] [ In reply to ]

JimR wrote:
I'm on the side of the guy that punched the chick. He was going for a PB and this oblivious woman was waliking BACKWARDS during a race near the finish line. What do think is gonna happen. Side steeping would add more time, just shove her outta the way, maybe next time she'll be a little more considerate. If her husband wants to take stand the so be it, slap him too.

Now there's the sociopathic narcissism I've been waiting for from ST!! Oh wait....brand new user. Imma guessing a troll from letsrun or king d-bag himself Blair Cullen?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]

Azr43l wrote:
JimR wrote:
I'm on the side of the guy that punched the chick. He was going for a PB and this oblivious woman was waliking BACKWARDS during a race near the finish line. What do think is gonna happen. Side steeping would add more time, just shove her outta the way, maybe next time she'll be a little more considerate. If her husband wants to take stand the so be it, slap him too.

Now there's the sociopathic narcissism I've been waiting for from ST!! Oh wait....brand new user. Imma guessing a troll from letsrun or king d-bag himself Blair Cullen?

Totes d-bag himself Blair Cullen.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]

Earlier this year I was doing a HM trail race. The race goes onto a road for most of the last half mile or so. A kid sprinted across that road right into my path. I don't think I could have evaded him with only a mile in my legs. With over twelve miles forget it. I reached out and basically clothes-lined him across the chest, stopping his progress and pushing him back a bit. Had someone taken a photo at that exact moment it might have a looked a lot the photo in question here. Chances are I then end up getting pilloried by name in the cesspool that is LR -- where they hate trail runners even more than they hate triathletes -- for being a child abuser or some such.

Had I not done what I did I would have nailed that kid. Hard. Almost certainly he gets badly hurt. In my case the kid didn't fall, I would have stopped if he had. But had I been DQ'd you better believe my reaction would have been decidedly non-apologetic. I withhold judgement barring a video -- or accounts from objective witnesses (not her friends) who saw the whole thing -- that incriminates him.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]

"Normal people" mean non competitive?

I do a sprint every june that's local to me. It attracts some speedy locals as well as the newbie crowd. I understand that for many just making it to the finish line is the victory and that wearing a pricess crown or pink cape may be part of the day. Whatever floats your boat, what I don't understand is why that particular group of people can't understand is that for others, its a race. I'm never near the podium but every year I want to improve on my last years performance. I've trained, I know its going to hurt, and I'm ready to take it on. If you want to have a spandex and sweaty party there's nothing wrong with that but you need to watch the hell out because YOUR good time is fucking with SOMEONE ELSE's good time. Dismissing that is pretty narcissistic.

Also, the chick is pretty hot, so there's that. Bam, you got hit and objectified. Welcome to triathlon.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]

I don't know which is more pathetic...The woman being oblivious to being in a race....the man using overly aggressive physical contact....or me for reading through all these threads.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Clempson] [ In reply to ]

Clempson wrote:
guppie58 wrote:
Clempson wrote:
guppie58 wrote:
The guy in the photo did this in an area where there was plenty of space, nobody threatening to over take him (even that shouldn't matter) and too a woman. This guy could have put one hand on her back, the other on her shoulder to prevent her from moving back further and to help him move around her. You all know what I'm talking about. Simple 1 second move, that's it. In the video, it's clear the guy did not want to give one inch of ground. She was backing up when he was a good 10 feet back so he could have blown past her without her even knowing it. He chose to assault her instead.

you're right im sure he made a conscious decision to assault her. that's what everyone is thinking at the end of their race. "hey everything has gone great so far.... now if i can only find someone to assault before the finish line..." she was moving sideways in the running lane when he had tunnel vision most likely

Wow, if you can't prevent yourself from punching somebody because you're near the finish line, then you have very very serious mental issues as well as anger management issues. I hear they are doing wonderful things at mental institutions. Maybe time you take a look.

i take it you will be looking them up then? my post was about how people aren't naturally malicious and violent for no reason towards random people, you are the one who seems to think it is a natural occurrence.

That doesn't even make sense. Try again. Oh wait, I've lost interest in what you have to say.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

Is there any man here that if they saw this happen to their mom, sister, wife, daughter or girlfriend, wouldn't have gone after the guy (after confirming she was okay)?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]

GatorDeb wrote:
another human being should never come above a finish time in a race, or even finishing, or any aspect of the race"

That right there pretty nicely sums it up. Well said.

guppie58 wrote:
Is there any man here that if they saw this happen to their mom, sister, wife, daughter or girlfriend, wouldn't have gone after the guy (after confirming she was okay)?

--

I am with you on this..I'd be having a very short and blunt conversation with the dude for sure.

--

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [d00d] [ In reply to ]

I didn't see anyone mention that she should have been dq'd or penalized for accepting outside assistance by getting her watch from a spectator.

I still need to see a video

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

"Is there any man here that if they saw this happen to their mom, sister, wife, daughter or girlfriend, wouldn't have gone after the guy (after confirming she was okay)?"

You mean like grab a baseball bat and mess him up? Loud exchange of harsh language? What would satisfy you?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]

I wonder just how many people who are pretty ambivalent toward defending this woman and wouldn't bother confronting this guy for pushing her,would go off the bloody rails at him if he say,interfered with or broke something on their bike in transition?

----

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

I have to admit that I was guilty of similar and a picture taken at exactly the wrong moment may well have made me look almost as bad.

I was running a Turkey Trot 10k some years ago in CA, living in Colorado I was digging on the abundance of oxygen and hammering along to a
decade PR. As I crossed under the 6 mile banner, I was in a dead run, only to come around the corner into a crowd of people finishing a 5k
in just about 40 minutes. I went full speed into a crowd of jog/walkers and I was not as polite as I now wish I was. I think I remember claiming
I gave a 'forearm shiver' to someone who waddled into my line.

I'd never take a swing at someone, and in my case I went from an empty road FOP situation to a mall-walker crowd in the space of one corner,
my main angst was for the race organizers who funneled 5K and 10K runners across the same 30' wide lane. I did my best bob & weave
through the crowd - but I was more interested in keeping pace and beating 41:00 than I was in being a gentleman. Without a little more context
I'll assume the shove in the photo came more from that space than a misogynist desire to slug women in public...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978

I wonder how many people who are ripping the guy for this would be saying how badass the woman was if the roles were reversed.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [uclamatt2007] [ In reply to ]

uclamatt2007 wrote:
I wonder how many people who are ripping the guy for this would be saying how badass the woman was if the roles were reversed.

---

Not me,if the roles were reversed,I would think that she is every bit the asshole that he is...

---

What if the alleged puncher had been a woman. Would you still think a real man ought to go after her (after confirming your wife was ok of course)?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ In reply to ]

If I saw my girl/sister/mother get decked, I'd be apoplectic. However, I'm not sure about the rest of you, but every (important) woman in my life would view a retaliatory attack as embarrassing, immature, and unappreciated. If I followed through and somehow managed to not get arrested and/or sued, I'd be in the doghouse for weeks, regardless of my intentions.

They'd be right, too. Acting out some ridiculous manly public beat down would not end well.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kdw] [ In reply to ]

To add on to this response, why is going after anyone ever a legitimate response in a situation such as this!

You entering a race course with potentially two thousand competitors. Chasing down a racer is going to cause more of a safety issue than the woman back pedaling and "kissing her family like the majority of racers do!"

I am seriously concerned about the race day/split second decisions of the ST's who have decided to create more of a hazardous situation by hypothetically "chasing the guy down and having a blunt conversation" while you read this thread from the comfort of your home.

I withhold judgment on the event until video comes out.

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Last edited by: JShipman: Sep 20, 13 21:47

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Yknot] [ In reply to ]

Yknot wrote:
GatorDeb wrote:
another human being should never come above a finish time in a race, or even finishing, or any aspect of the race"

That right there pretty nicely sums it up. Well said.

That actually says exactly the opposite of what I wanted to say lol A finish time in a race or even finish, or any aspect of the race should never come another human being.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [JShipman] [ In reply to ]

JShipman wrote:
To add on to this response, why is going after anyone ever a legitimate response in a situation such as this!

You entering a race course with potentially two thousand competitors. Chasing down a racer is going to cause more of a safety issue than the woman back pedaling and "kissing her family like the majority of racers do!"

I am seriously concerned about the race day/split second decisions of the ST's who have decided to create a more of a hazardous situation by hypothetically "chasing the guy down and having a blunt conversation" while you read this thread from the comfort of your home.

I withhold judgment on the event until video comes out.

-----

This whole thread has become a series of hypothetical's...The actual facts surrounding the incident became lost a long time ago...

----

You sir are correct. I think I was wearing my Troll hat.

I, like everyone else corresponding on this thread, needs to find something else more productive to comment on.

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Last edited by: JShipman: Sep 20, 13 21:51

Prev Next