Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]

dreaming~big wrote:
It makes me sad to see the number of men here that think it's okay for a man to hit or push a woman. Ever. I prefer chivalry,integrity, and honor. And I bet your mothers do, too.

~~ kate

This ^

My triathlon training blog

dreaming~big wrote:
I know for a fact that my husband would have gone down himself before he would have pushed a woman. That's all I'm saying.

~~ kate
I wonder what your reaction here would be if we were to rearrange the variables -- both were women, both were men, a woman ran into a man.

Look it's completely possible that this guy was a total jagoff jerk idiot asshole. But it's not the only plausible explanation. Yet it's the preconceived conclusion for many, seemingly because the other person involved was a woman.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]

chaparral wrote:
dreaming~big wrote:
I know for a fact that my husband would have gone down himself before he would have pushed a woman. That's all I'm saying.

~~ kate

Ok, thanks for making it clear that your solution to a woman doing something dangerous and irresponsible is for a man to risk severe physical harm.

I think of a man then I remove reason and accountability....

With equality comes accepting responsibility for your actions. There is nothing equal about expecting men to take bodily harm because of a woman's negligence.

I'm not saying that is what happened here but that is what dreaming~big appears to desire.
Last edited by: lurch: Sep 20, 13 9:11

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:
from the blog and commentary BY THE GUY WHO TOOK THE PHOTO it was NOT that finish area but shortly after T2. She was just starting her run
so he is even more of an ass.

He could just have yelled MOVE

hitting is just plain wrong.

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

I tending to see this as more the truth. I don't know how fast he was going, but I kciked it up to about a 5:00 flat the last 100M to give it what I had left since I had just passed soemone 1/4 mile back I thought there could be one more shortly up the road near the line. After racing 4+ hours I didn;t have the clearest head and while I likely would have grunted "runner up" if that person suddenly stepped back, it would be impossible to avoid at the last second.

Would I have later maybe felt bad if I had made contact that hard. Probably and might have checked to see if they were OK. But keep in mind... if I'm uderstanding thsi correctly. He had hte right of way, and depending on the timing, might have been unable ot avoid here. I wonde,r jsut wonder if she shold be appologizing.

Look at it this way. If that had been a female pro finishing and a male backing into her? who's "fault" would it be then?

Also consider his frame of mind. He may have just spent 2 hours of the bike leg passing earlier slower waves (some races send out the slower waves first to compress the finishing times), waching tons of drafting and generally just ready to be done, maybe breaking stride and fighting traffic at the aide stations... and here is a BOP age grouper not really "racing" on the wrong side of the road chatting with family not looking where she's going. The photo doens't lie. She looks like she's facing the wrogn direction, walking backwards on the wrong side of the road. There's a bit of an argument to disqualify or penalize her for interfering with another competitor similar to not placing all of your gear in you transition area.

On the flip side, it's also part of racing to avoid any type of obstacle on the course and to pay attention enough to anticipate these types of issues.

I do agree that the sport relies on everyone that races to make these races possible and every works and trains hard to compete at their own level. But that doens't make a bad situation like this any less frustrating.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]

tejanatab wrote:
dreaming~big wrote:
It makes me sad to see the number of men here that think it's okay for a man to hit or push a woman. Ever. I prefer chivalry,integrity, and honor. And I bet your mothers do, too.

~~ kate

This ^

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to think of scenarios where it would perfectly acceptable and reasonable. This case isn't one of those scenarios.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

guppie58 wrote:
Clempson wrote:
guppie58 wrote:
The guy in the photo did this in an area where there was plenty of space, nobody threatening to over take him (even that shouldn't matter) and too a woman. This guy could have put one hand on her back, the other on her shoulder to prevent her from moving back further and to help him move around her. You all know what I'm talking about. Simple 1 second move, that's it. In the video, it's clear the guy did not want to give one inch of ground. She was backing up when he was a good 10 feet back so he could have blown past her without her even knowing it. He chose to assault her instead.

you're right im sure he made a conscious decision to assault her. that's what everyone is thinking at the end of their race. "hey everything has gone great so far.... now if i can only find someone to assault before the finish line..." she was moving sideways in the running lane when he had tunnel vision most likely

Wow, if you can't prevent yourself from punching somebody because you're near the finish line, then you have very very serious mental issues as well as anger management issues. I hear they are doing wonderful things at mental institutions. Maybe time you take a look.
i take it you will be looking them up then? my post was about how people aren't naturally malicious and violent for no reason towards random people, you are the one who seems to think it is a natural occurrence.

dreaming~big wrote:
You can prevaricate all you want to. His arm is out, his hand is open, and she has been hit. This is wrong.

~~ kate

You're trying to draw an equivalence between "hit" as in "bumped into" and "hit" as in "punched". It's especially telling that you list "his hand is open" as evidence. Would you prefer his hand be closed? Because it's going to be one or the other.

There is no evidence for a "punch" other than a video that isn't available but is real, we swear, and people saying "you can never put your hands on a woman", as if that is a literal statement and I can't put my arm around my girlfriend. I guarantee every man saying that has reflexively put his hands up to soften an accidental bump against a woman in a crowd.

This is character assassination, nothing more, until actual evidence is presented other than hearsay and a very ambiguous picture.

Now I'll go on my run and wait for the personal attacks to pile up.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
jjmstang wrote:
Looks like chivalry is dead in this joint..........................

I'll take critical thinking over chivalry any day.

As would the women I associate with.
Paying for half an hour of their time is not "associating" with them.

I can't be bothered to come up to speed on this whole argument but I do see that you are clearly a SFB that seems to have accidentally wandered out of the Lavender Room.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]

I had to put both of my hands on a woman at Vegas 70.3 Worlds a few weeks ago. Approaching the aid station right after the first turnaround on one of the run loops a woman on my right decided to dive into the aid station at the last second with a 60-degree left hand turn right in front of me. In one of the most athletic moves of my life I had to simultaneously jump over her trailing leg, grab both of her shoulders to avoid a direct collision, move her to the left, then pull her back a bit to keep her from falling as I flew by. She yelled "Sorry!" and I responded "No problem!" In both instances the woman did something careless and dangerous, but how you handle it (on both sides) makes all the difference in the world. Had I shoved her, or moved her to the left without trying to bring her back a bit at the end of my maneuver, and I could have ended up being "the guy" in this thread. Had it all gone wrong, though, I certainly would have stopped to make sure things were OK before taking off again.

tejanatab wrote:
dreaming~big wrote:

~~ kate

This ^

There's a difference between pushing someone as an act of aggression (hint, in civilized society, that isn't ok to do to men either) and putting up your hands to soften an accidental bump. If you can't see that, I'm sorry for you.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

http://s2.postimg.org/d7zaod2rt/contact.jpg

Someone on letsrun posted the above picture.

nhunter344 wrote:
tejanatab wrote:
dreaming~big wrote:

~~ kate

This ^

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to think of scenarios where it would perfectly acceptable and reasonable. This case isn't one of those scenarios.

---

How about Zombie Women? Is it okay to hit them,'cause I think I have a few living in my street?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]

Only if they are backing into your running lane during a race. ;)

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]

I will say, Blair really need to work on either his bike pacing or his run. Not a terrible swim, descent bike. Here's his Syracuse 70.3 results. 7:34 pace the first 3 miles, then just fell apart, walked later on then crusied in a 8:30ish pace.

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz2fRqbymrN

Again, I still think we need to turn the tables and make this a 45 year old BOP racer and a elite or pro female that ran into him. We'd be stringing him up in this case too.

IF this had been 2 males of course they would have thrown down and started swinging.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:
tejanatab wrote:
dreaming~big wrote:

~~ kate

This ^

There's a difference between pushing someone as an act of aggression (hint, in civilized society, that isn't ok to do to men either) and putting up your hands to soften an accidental bump. If you can't see that, I'm sorry for you.

I haven't seen the video, but from the pictures, from guppie's description of the video, and from this (if true) http://s2.postimg.org/d7zaod2rt/contact.jpg, it seems like he aggressively shoved her out of the way. She was in his way for no apparent reason except to preen for the cameras and grab some outside assistance. Both seem at fault, I agree. However, I think he could have avoided shoving her to the ground.

And before you start the butt-hurt, I'm an oppressed man bullshit, I would think the same if it had been any number of gender combinations. I'm not sure that gunning for second place in your AG justifies getting physically violent. It just seems insane and hyper-douche-like.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]

motoguy128 wrote:
I

Again, I still think we need to turn the tables and make this a 45 year old BOP racer and a elite or pro female that ran into him. We'd be stringing him up in this case too.

IF this had been 2 males of course they would have thrown down and started swinging.

but he is NOT an elite nor a pro
he is and Age Grouper with a day job.

I don't think the actions are justifiable regardless but it is not turning the tables if you suddenly say elite/pro

Two conclusions so far:

1) She screwed up by diddling around in oncoming traffic
2) He behaved like an asshole

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]

T-wrecks wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
jjmstang wrote:
Looks like chivalry is dead in this joint.

I'll take critical thinking over chivalry any day.

As would the women I associate with.

Paying for half an hour of their time is not "associating" with them.

This made my day ^__^

Last edited by: Jamaican: Sep 20, 13 9:33

tejanatab wrote:

"slight contact was made with the lady".... "Mass participants taking up the entire side of the lane-way..."
Sorry, but this person clearly hasn't see the actual photograph that's been posted. I don't see mass participants in the picture and slight contact is an understatement.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]

kmh1225 wrote:
tejanatab wrote:

"slight contact was made with the lady".... "Mass participants taking up the entire side of the lane-way..."
Sorry, but this person clearly hasn't see the actual photograph that's been posted. I don't see mass participants in the picture and slight contact is an understatement.

It matches the picture quite well, it even includes the stroller. The mass of participants are running in the far lane, so are going the opposite direction of the guy and are to the right of the frame. Now is this drawing correct, I do not know, but it does not show anything different than the picture.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

I blame GTA V and whatever music he listens to. I'm guessing "Move Bee get out the way..." was in his thoughts when he saw the woman leaning back for the pic.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]

Let's think about this as if we were on the bike leg.... If a competitor (gender agnostic) were to be blocking your lane, or god forbid come across from the opposite direction into your lane, you would dodge them. You would not unclip you pedal & kick them for being an idiot. You would not take your hands off the bar to push or throw a bottle @ the idiot.

Maybe you scream or yell for them to get out of the way. Worse case, you crash. A run should be no different. Both are wrong. The dude is worse. Let's all get off our high horses. The girl was finishing her first 70.3, not trying to qualify for Kona. We can do a better job educating rookies on race-conduct, but the real issue is Blair Cullen's apparent avoidable & inexcusable behavior.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]

A race, you could run with a stroller, wouldn't be a serious race? Kinda like a color run? Yeah, the guy should expect anything.

I did a 10k in June. Woman walked back through the finish chute looking at her phone. Everybody swerved. Nobody yelled at her or hit her.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]

Pooks wrote:

Two conclusions so far:

1) She screwed up by diddling around in oncoming traffic
2) He behaved like an asshole

This in a nutshell.

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Sep 20, 13 10:12

Prev Next