Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [lithops] [ In reply to ]

lithops wrote:
From http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...=501034&posts=20

"Apparently this is the 3rd time in 27 years that a man has touched a woman's body in order to complete a triathlon race."

insert joke here

Has anybody kept track of how many times a man has completed a triathlon so he could touch a woman's body?

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

GMAN19030 wrote:
I addressed this point earlier. She stated she did not want this to linger on any longer so why would she release the video?

Since we're operating under assumptions, can we not assume that race officials were shown the video and that was part of their decision making process to DQ him and consequently refer it to USAT for further action? A DQ based on a still picture and one person's story is not enough in my book. I would think there would have been more evidence than that. I'm making another assumption there though.

I was ready to support giving this guy a lifetime ban after reading the blog post and seeing the pictures, but after reading her actual statement and looking at the pictures in that context, I think she shares the at least some of the blame and maybe all of the blame for this incident. So depending on what was actually sent to the race director makes a difference here, if he got one story I see him DQ the guy. Or maybe the director is just taking the safest course of action and DQed the guy, instead of risking an uproar.

I would also not trust that original blog post. It says that she was running in the other direction, turned to wave to her family, and then was hit. But, it appears the actual story is that cut across to the other side of the course to kiss her family and get a watch, then backed into the course without looking. At the very least the blogger does not have the whole story, so I would not trust what he said was sent to USAT.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

guppie58 wrote:
Rather disgusting how a couple of you are trying to justify this guys actions. The picture doesn't show that it was a punch, the video made it crystal clear it was a punch. I saved the video URL but it's gone now. There is zero place for his action in our sport. I have run into people at T2 exit and just say excuse me and run around them.
then why did you post the URL to the image saying that was the instance it occurred? no one is justifying the actions, we are saying that we can't judge him based on the information(lack of)

Quote:
The guy in the photo did this in an area where there was plenty of space, nobody threatening to over take him (even that shouldn't matter) and too a woman. This guy could have put one hand on her back, the other on her shoulder to prevent her from moving back further and to help him move around her. You all know what I'm talking about. Simple 1 second move, that's it. In the video, it's clear the guy did not want to give one inch of ground. She was backing up when he was a good 10 feet back so he could have blown past her without her even knowing it. He chose to assault her instead.
you're right im sure he made a conscious decision to assault her. that's what everyone is thinking at the end of their race. "hey everything has gone great so far.... now if i can only find someone to assault before the finish line..." she was moving sideways in the running lane when he had tunnel vision most likely

Quote:
She should not be DQ'd. At worse, a time penalty. His penalty should be a year ban from USAT races. I know USAT saw the video so it's dissapointing that they did not do a year ban. This guy is a POS of shit and should be banned a year. For fuck's sake, at least stop and help her up. At least apologize. Be a fucking adult. And if I were her husband, the guy would never had made it to the finish line. I see somebody hit my wife, you best run a 3 min mile that's for damn sure. Then again, my wife is a black belt so she would have turned him into a pretzle and wore him as a finishers medal when she crossed the finish line.
ook then, how do you really feel about this?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]

As I said before, I stumbled upon the video before it was taken down and before I even saw the guys blog post. What I saw was a guy who had 10 feet to make a decision to go around her, he chose not too and punched hard enough to knock her to the ground and start crying. To think she deserves to be DQ'd just as the guy was is ridiculous. Time penalty, yes, DQ not even close. Again, I have the benefit of seeing the video. According to the comments with the video, it was sent, by multiple viewers, to the USAT. If the guy was DQ'd, then you know the video made it to somebody's computer screen.

The guy's name should be dragged through the mud because he's a POS. He calls it a push, she calls it a punch. The end result was her hitting the pavement. Why kind of man does this to a woman?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

ffmedic84 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
1) she should be disqualified from the race.

2) based on the evidence he should not face criminal charges

3) there is plenty of evidence to form an opinion about this guy

2&3 are different matters. The malice of his intent is evident.

Have you seen the video? Your basing all this off a still photo. I'm not saying she isn't wrong for not paying attention but you have no idea how the event actually took place.

I am basing the DQ comment on what she said. She admitted to significantly interfered with another racer. Maybe she should just receive a penalty? Really whatever the rules say the penalty for blocking an opponent is. I just assume it is DQ.

I am basing my opinions of this guy on the still photo. My opinion is the photo shows clear malice. Perhaps you disagree. I think it is perfectly fine for reasonable people to disagree, don't you?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

It makes me sad to see the number of men here that think it's okay for a man to hit or push a woman. Ever. I prefer chivalry,integrity, and honor. And I bet your mothers do, too.

~~ kate

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

1) she should be disqualified from the race.

2) based on the evidence he should not face criminal charges

3) there is plenty of evidence to form an opinion about this guy

2&3 are different matters. The malice of his intent is evident.

Nailed it, IMO. The curiously withheld video would no doubt clarify, but someone who collides unaware will flinch to defend themselves. Someone who collides with not enough time to move will most likely try to "absorb" the collision with their arms, in a manner that in no way resembles a punch, stiff-arm, or shove. Clearly, HE WILLFULLY HIT HER.

She admitted her cluelessness, which is worth a whole lot of credit to me. No word from Mr. Blake Cullen.

Hopefully they can both learn something, but it seems unlikely in the latter case.

JMHO, but Mr. Cullen ought not to be surprised if the universe continues to find less and less subtle ways to let him know that he's not at its center.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

All I've got to say..is that if I witnessed my wife get "punched" during a race and she's crying in front of me, I'd be making damn sure that the perpetrator would be crying as well...
Last edited by: gasman: Sep 20, 13 8:11

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]

His hand is clearly open in the photo.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

GMAN19030 wrote:
There's zero reason he should have ever hit and/or pushed her. Zero. Fucking. Reason.

Should her situational awareness have been a little better? Yes, of course. Still doesn't condone him putting hands on her for any reason. He's a douche on just about the highest level imaginable.

Any of you saying it's her fault should be ashamed.
Agreed.
There should be ZERO tolerance for physical violencet. I really hope USAT and WTC do the right thing and ban him or else he will do it again, these types always do.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]

dreaming~big wrote:
It makes me sad to see the number of men here that think it's okay for a man to hit or push a woman. Ever. I prefer chivalry,integrity, and honor. And I bet your mothers do, too.

~~ kate

Oh please. Nobody has said it's okay for a man to hit or push a woman, Kate. If it was 100% clear that's what happened here, then the guy would have zero defenders.

But what happened is not 100% clear.
Last edited by: davearm: Sep 20, 13 8:16

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Clempson] [ In reply to ]

Clempson wrote:
guppie58 wrote:
The guy in the photo did this in an area where there was plenty of space, nobody threatening to over take him (even that shouldn't matter) and too a woman. This guy could have put one hand on her back, the other on her shoulder to prevent her from moving back further and to help him move around her. You all know what I'm talking about. Simple 1 second move, that's it. In the video, it's clear the guy did not want to give one inch of ground. She was backing up when he was a good 10 feet back so he could have blown past her without her even knowing it. He chose to assault her instead.

you're right im sure he made a conscious decision to assault her. that's what everyone is thinking at the end of their race. "hey everything has gone great so far.... now if i can only find someone to assault before the finish line..." she was moving sideways in the running lane when he had tunnel vision most likely

Wow, if you can't prevent yourself from punching somebody because you're near the finish line, then you have very very serious mental issues as well as anger management issues. I hear they are doing wonderful things at mental institutions. Maybe time you take a look.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [davearm] [ In reply to ]

You can prevaricate all you want to. His arm is out, his hand is open, and she has been hit. This is wrong.

~~ kate

dreaming~big wrote:

~~ kate

Spoiler alert. You probably don't want to tune into next week's episode of The Ultimate Fighter. It looks like they are going to feature plenty of male vs female MMA. When the two are willing participants, would you still say "never okay"?

dreaming~big wrote:
You can prevaricate all you want to. His arm is out, his hand is open, and she has been hit. This is wrong.

~~ kate
You are leaping to conclusions and failing to consider alternate explanations. He may have maliciously punched this woman, or he may have done all he could to soften an unavoidable collision, or anything in between.

She has been hit because she backed into his line of travel. That is about as much as we can reasonably conclude. All the rest is pure speculation, and biased against the guy, sadly.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [d2xccoach] [ In reply to ]

You win, Mister Cool Hypothetical. It's okay if there's consent. :) I stand corrected.

~~ k

dreaming~big wrote:

~~ kate

So you are saying that it is possible 100% of time to avoid someone walking backwards across the racecourse without looking?

I know for a fact that my husband would have gone down himself before he would have pushed a woman. That's all I'm saying.

~~ kate

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

It is absolutely fine to disagree. I guess I just like to have more facts before I go judging people's intent.

dreaming~big wrote:
I know for a fact that my husband would have gone down himself before he would have pushed a woman. That's all I'm saying.

~~ kate

Ok, thanks for making it clear that your solution to a woman doing something dangerous and irresponsible is for a man to risk severe physical harm.

What can I tell you? He's a Marine. Semper fi, bro. :)

~~ kate

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

So hard to read anything into that exact picture, video is needed for sure.. seems like a dick move for sure with all that space..

But... why is she so concerned with him not being punished to severely, seems odd, no ?

Post deleted by tejanatab [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

Precisely.

Odd someone so quick to blog and defame someone is so hesitant to provide what would be the most damning evidence.

Unless said evidence damned the wrong person.

I addressed this point earlier. She stated she did not want this to linger on any longer so why would she release the video?

Since we're operating under assumptions, can we not assume that race officials were shown the video and that was part of their decision making process to DQ him and consequently refer it to USAT for further action? A DQ based on a still picture and one person's story is not enough in my book. I would think there would have been more evidence than that. I'm making another assumption there though.

Because she wants to flame the crucifixion of this guy while continuing to play up her "victim" angle?

Have you read her comments on BT? My assessment/assumption: fvery full of herself. Doesn't seem she wants this to all just go away because then she wouldn't have people lauding her "she didn't want him to be punished; she's just so friendly and nice" attributes.

As for his DQ? A crying woman, a blogger with an agenda, and an untold number of their "protect the female posse" whinging at a director. Not a hard call at the time.

Let's see if it's upheld and she escapes a DQ herself. I'd say to either let the proper results stand or double the DQs.

Holy cow man...you've written this and several other similar comments. I think you're the one with the agenda here.

needmoreair wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

there is a TON of room for him to have moved over. I still say no excuse

You're assuming he has time to react and move over.

That's an unwarranted assumption based on available evidence.

A dude running 8.5mph can't sidestep to avoid a woman walking backwards in a 2-lane road? I'd even give him 10mph for a final kick, and I'm still not sympathetic to his plight.

I tweet!

Prev Next