Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
Still in no way condones the guy putting hands on her or, if accidentally putting hands on her, not stopping to see if she was okay. He just strolled on unrepentant with a dickhead look on his face.
This. If she knowingly crossed over into a part of the course used by opposite direction runners, and impeded the progress of another racer I would say a DQ might be in order here as well. But even if he 'accidentally' smashed into her he should have gone back and helped her up. I would like to think if something like this occurred at an aid station where a volunteer accidentally backed into an athlete and was taken out that the runner would be DQ'd for just barreling away without a second thought. Someone else's mistake does not justify poor sportsmanship. And to the people that argue - she made the first 'wrong' so what he did was okay - I guess that makes it okay for me to sprint by a draft pack, and 'accidentally' clip the front wheel of the paceline leader and take the whole group down?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
A completely obvlvious person walks backwards into the finish area of a race course and gets plowed into, then plays up this ridiculous "victim" angle to garner sympathy and attention all so she can then play up this "forgive and forget 'cause I'm such a nice person" angle, all the while failing to realize what a self-absorbed, egomanical, self-entitled narcissus she comes across as.

That about sum it up?

She should be DQed, too. Her actions are completely cringe-worthy, as are that of blogger's and anyone else hell-bent on seeking out and dragging this guy's name through the mud simply because of a ridiculously biased blog whose sole agenda is playing the victim card for this woman.

Pretty much this, EXCEPT . . . after the contact, which was apparently caused by her being completely oblivious and backing directly into his path, he should have taken a few seconds to stop and apologize. Him just barreling through with that "move bitch, get out the way, get out the way bitch, get out the way" look just makes him look like a complete ass.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

All this and no one saying she should be penalized for outside assistance? She clearly states that her husband handed her the watch. You guys are slipping....

needmoreair wrote:
clairec2007 wrote:

Nope. I would feel the exact same way if the roles were reversed. If it was an 80 year old woman hitting a 30 year old man, I would still feel the same way. Putting your hands up to block is different than actively punching or shoving.

And would your first instinct be that the 80 year old woman threw back and let one reign on the 30 year old man, or would it be that she threw up her arms at impact?

That's sorta the issue here seeing as how there's no proof that he didn't throw up his arms to block against some woman nonchalantly walking backwards into his sprint finish.

Am I the only one here that thinks this would be absolutely hilarious to see? If an 80 year old woman took the effort to clock you, I'm guessing you deserved it.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Demagogue] [ In reply to ]

Demagogue wrote:
All this and no one saying she should be penalized for outside assistance? She clearly states that her husband handed her the watch. You guys are slipping....

^^Bingo^^

She even said she told the officials what she was doing, they should penalize her for outside assistance. Self reporting at its finest.

And yes, the dude was a dick. I am sure he could have easily avoided her.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody

GMAN19030 wrote:

What crowded place are you referencing? I see two people and a shit ton of real estate around them. They were the only two people on that part of the course.

I was giving an example of what a person does when someone walks into them. They put their arms/hands up.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [jjmstang] [ In reply to ]

jjmstang wrote:
Looks like chivalry is dead in this joint..........................

I'll take critical thinking over chivalry any day.

As would the women I associate with.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]

TriGirrrrl wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

there is a TON of room for him to have moved over. I still say no excuse

You're assuming he has time to react and move over.

That's an unwarranted assumption based on available evidence.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [bingobong] [ In reply to ]

bingobong wrote:
No disagreement with what you are saying, but don't you think people are potentially crucifying the guy based on unproven hypothetical assumptions too (which I accept may or may not be true)?. At best all there is to support this right now are differing views and an inconclusive photo. You will note that the title of this tread (and the photo) is "Punching a woman during the race". Just trying to balance the discussion here.

Absolutely the guy is getting crucified. But so is she by certain people. What she did was stupid and she even acknowledged that. He's at best an arrogant douche for not stopping to see if she was okay if he indeed ran into her accidentally. He's a complete piece of shit if the contact was intentional. He comes across as a dickhead to me no matter what. It's just the level of dickheadedness that has yet to be determined.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

ffmedic84 wrote:
She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

Precisely.

Odd someone so quick to blog and defame someone is so hesitant to provide what would be the most damning evidence.

Unless said evidence damned the wrong person.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

Looks more like he violently pushed her. Still excessive however, not a PUNCH! Stop accusations until we have definitive proof of the incident.

It appears two boneheads met up at the same time and place.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

Toby Tri wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
A completely obvlvious person walks backwards into the finish area of a race course and gets plowed into, then plays up this ridiculous "victim" angle to garner sympathy and attention all so she can then play up this "forgive and forget 'cause I'm such a nice person" angle, all the while failing to realize what a self-absorbed, egomanical, self-entitled narcissus she comes across as.

That about sum it up?

She should be DQed, too. Her actions are completely cringe-worthy, as are that of blogger's and anyone else hell-bent on seeking out and dragging this guy's name through the mud simply because of a ridiculously biased blog whose sole agenda is playing the victim card for this woman.

Pretty much this, EXCEPT . . . after the contact, which was apparently caused by her being completely oblivious and backing directly into his path, he should have taken a few seconds to stop and apologize. Him just barreling through with that "move bitch, get out the way, get out the way bitch, get out the way" look just makes him look like a complete ass.

I don't disagree with this at all and it probably could've ended the situation right then and there.

But instead we've got some people with a man-hating vendetta raging like crazy.

Makes for interesting discussions at least.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]

cl60guy wrote:
Someone else's mistake does not justify poor sportsmanship. And to the people that argue - she made the first 'wrong' so what he did was okay

That's the line of thinking that concerns me most.

TriGirrrrl wrote:
needmoreair wrote:

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

That is an assumption. From the pictures it looks like he was right on the yellow line seperating the lanes. Maybe there was someone else running the opposite direction in the lane and could not move over more without running into incoming runners? Maybe he gave her plenty of space, but was not expecting her to suddenly move backwards?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [COJO] [ In reply to ]

COJO wrote:
Looks more like he violently pushed her.

Based on ???????? She didn't go down or it appears even sideways a significant amount. She didn't drop the watch she had stopped to get from her husband. It appears she is shocked and startled by the male athlete's sudden presence right next to her. I would really love to see the video.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.

guppie58 wrote:
I believe this is the photo of it happening:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/...0/Toughman+punch.jpg

Is he wearing . . . a power bracelet? The only thing missing is an MDot tat. Amirite?

needmoreair wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

Precisely.

Odd someone so quick to blog and defame someone is so hesitant to provide what would be the most damning evidence.

I addressed this point earlier. She stated she did not want this to linger on any longer so why would she release the video?

Since we're operating under assumptions, can we not assume that race officials were shown the video and that was part of their decision making process to DQ him and consequently refer it to USAT for further action? A DQ based on a still picture and one person's story is not enough in my book. I would think there would have been more evidence than that. I'm making another assumption there though.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Sep 20, 13 7:26

It's too bad that he had to run right into her. He could have avoid it as she was focusing on her family and not looking where she's going. I could see why he's ticked off by this woman acting but not right by pushing/punching her out of the way.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [COJO] [ In reply to ]

Rather disgusting how a couple of you are trying to justify this guys actions. The picture doesn't show that it was a punch, the video made it crystal clear it was a punch. I saved the video URL but it's gone now. There is zero place for his action in our sport. I have run into people at T2 exit and just say excuse me and run around them.

The guy in the photo did this in an area where there was plenty of space, nobody threatening to over take him (even that shouldn't matter) and too a woman. This guy could have put one hand on her back, the other on her shoulder to prevent her from moving back further and to help him move around her. You all know what I'm talking about. Simple 1 second move, that's it. In the video, it's clear the guy did not want to give one inch of ground. She was backing up when he was a good 10 feet back so he could have blown past her without her even knowing it. He chose to assault her instead.

She should not be DQ'd. At worse, a time penalty. His penalty should be a year ban from USAT races. I know USAT saw the video so it's dissapointing that they did not do a year ban. This guy is a POS of shit and should be banned a year. For fuck's sake, at least stop and help her up. At least apologize. Be a fucking adult. And if I were her husband, the guy would never had made it to the finish line. I see somebody hit my wife, you best run a 3 min mile that's for damn sure. Then again, my wife is a black belt so she would have turned him into a pretzle and wore him as a finishers medal when she crossed the finish line.

GMAN19030 wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

Precisely.

I addressed this point earlier. She stated she did not want this to linger on any longer so why would she release the video?

Since we're operating under assumptions, can we not assume that race officials were shown the video and that was part of their decision making process to DQ him and consequently refer it to USAT for further action? A DQ based on a still picture and one person's story is not enough in my book. I would think there would have been more evidence than that. I'm making another assumption there though.

Because she wants to flame the crucifixion of this guy while continuing to play up her "victim" angle?

Have you read her comments on BT? My assessment/assumption: fvery full of herself. Doesn't seem she wants this to all just go away because then she wouldn't have people lauding her "she didn't want him to be punished; she's just so friendly and nice" attributes.

As for his DQ? A crying woman, a blogger with an agenda, and an untold number of their "protect the female posse" whinging at a director. Not a hard call at the time.

Let's see if it's upheld and she escapes a DQ herself. I'd say to either let the proper results stand or double the DQs.

Guy sprints finish and avoids colliding with a woman and he is wrong.

Guy sprints finish and actually collides with a woman and she is wrong.

Fascinating.

guppie58 wrote:
Rather disgusting how a couple of you are trying to justify this guys actions..

I don't think anyone's justifying his actions.

I, for one, am railing against the utterly ridiculous statements made concering "punches" and dragging this guy's name through the mud without ever definitely showing the evidence.

There's a one-sided crusade against this guy with no real proof to show it's warranted.

That's the issue.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

Goosedog wrote:
Guy sprints finish and avoids colliding with a woman and he is wrong.

Guy sprints finish and actually collides with a woman and she is wrong.

Fascinating.

-----

Just when you though that ST couldn't get any stranger!!

---

" I don`t think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don`t recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man. " - Sean Connery

TriGirrrrl wrote:
What you fail to consider is that perhaps he *had* moved over. It's clear in the picture that he is at the leftmost point of the lane in his direction of travel when the contact occurred.

Is it not possible he was running in the middle of his lane 20 ft earlier, and swerved left far enough to avoid this person posing for pictures and kissing children, but not far enough (as it turns out) to avoid said person suddenly backing into his (adjusted) path?

Regardless, this notion that he "punched" her seems pretty farfetched IMO. What is likely is that at the last instant, realizing there was going to be contact, he put up his hand/arm to brace himself and deflect the impact, just like anyone else would have done.

Good on the woman for admitting she was at fault. In the end, her inattentiveness was the primary cause of the incident, so props to her for being upfront about all this.

Prev Next