Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [jjmstang] [ In reply to ]

There's a difference between punching someone--that's an act to hurt someone, and putting your arms up to block someone. From what it seems, this guy did the former. He's at fault and a jerk. If he did the latter--just putting his hands up to block her--it's a different story.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

GMAN19030 wrote:
There's zero reason he should have ever hit and/or pushed her. Zero. Fucking. Reason.

Should her situational awareness have been a little better? Yes, of course. Still doesn't condone him putting hands on her for any reason. He's a douche on just about the highest level imaginable.

Any of you saying it's her fault should be ashamed.

I've yet to see any definitive proof of any "hitting" occurring at all.

What do you do when someone runs into/makes contact with you? You don't throw up your hands? I bet you do.

Walking in a crowed place and someone plows into you and your hands remain down? Now imagine sprinting. What happens when something makes contact with something else that's moving at a higher rate of speed?

Have any of you genuinely thought about what you're saying? It's really quite silly.

Fair-play if the dude reared back and threw a stiff-arm at her head or something. Then go on with your juvenile name-calling. Until then, though, you're reacting exactly the way the "victim" wants you to. Like lemmings.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

Have any of you genuinely thought about what you're saying? It's really quite silly.

Irony alert.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]

clairec2007 wrote:
There's a difference between punching someone--that's an act to hurt someone, and putting your arms up to block someone. From what it seems, this guy did the former. He's at fault and a jerk. If he did the latter--just putting his hands up to block her--it's a different story.

Why are people so quick to demonize a guy?

Reverse the roles? Would anyone give a second's thought to a woman doing that to a man? NO WAY!

Shouldn't the latter (reactionary hand raising) be the default position?

The only reason it's not is because A) it's a woman who cried, literally and figuratively and B) she's gotten someone to completely buy into her victim sob-story and he's doing all he can to make her case viral, while conveniently leaving out the evidence that would truly vilify him (the video). That alone ought to make one pause for a second.

Ever heard of an "agenda"?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

Irony alert.

Yeah, irony.

Someone is sprinting, someone else walks backward into him unexpectedly. His hands go up.

Logically, what would be the reason for the hands going up?

But apparently because it's a woman and she has a blogger in her pocket, people say "he punched her".

And I'm being ironic?

needmoreair wrote:
clairec2007 wrote:

Why are people so quick to demonize a guy?

Reverse the roles? Would anyone give a second's thought to a woman doing that to a man? NO WAY!

Shouldn't the latter (reactionary hand raising) be the default position?

The only reason it's not is because A) it's a woman who cried, literally and figuratively and B) she's gotten someone to completely buy into her victim sob-story and he's doing all he can to make her case viral, while conveniently leaving out the evidence that would truly vilify him (the video). That alone ought to make one pause for a second.

Ever heard of an "agenda"?

Nope. I would feel the exact same way if the roles were reversed. If it was an 80 year old woman hitting a 30 year old man, I would still feel the same way. Putting your hands up to block is different than actively punching or shoving.

clairec2007 wrote:

Nope. I would feel the exact same way if the roles were reversed. If it was an 80 year old woman hitting a 30 year old man, I would still feel the same way. Putting your hands up to block is different than actively punching or shoving.

And would your first instinct be that the 80 year old woman threw back and let one reign on the 30 year old man, or would it be that she threw up her arms at impact?

That's sorta the issue here seeing as how there's no proof that he didn't throw up his arms to block against some woman nonchalantly walking backwards into his sprint finish.

Looks like chivalry is dead in this joint..........................

NCVC
2nd place is just the 1st loser
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

did he already move 10'-15' foot back and was she still walking backward into him? was whoever taking pictures saying baxkup a bit more..more...more...more...? did not see whole thing but still no feason to ush or shove anyone. i say 2 year ban and made to olunteer at all woman triatlkon events!!

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]

Azr43l wrote:
tucktri wrote:
I'm disappointed in the lot of you. How are there 14 pages at Lets Run and only one here. They've already identified that the guy works at ESPN. Have completely blamed the woman, well I'd say 75%. They clearly have zero respect for triathletes. And damn ST is supposed to be a mean place, they are downright brutal there.

No kidding. I thought ST was narcissists and elitists central, where if you can't do a sub 9 ironman, you're a third class citizen with no value as a human being. Letsrun makes ST look like saints!

That is why we can relate to him. For most STers, the only thing he did differently that what a typical STer would do, is she didn't hit the ground ;)

This is the type of situation that happens on the MUPs all the time.

According to the blog the woman got in the man's way. It appears that she backed into him and was injured.

It was bad form for the man to not slow down, but this is blown way out of proportion.

needmoreair wrote:
clairec2007 wrote:

And would your first instinct be that the 80 year old woman threw back and let one reign on the 30 year old man, or would it be that she threw up her arms at impact?

That's sorta the issue here seeing as how there's no proof that he didn't throw up his arms to block against some woman nonchalantly walking backwards into his sprint finish.

I'm going off of the spectators reactions and how many went forward to USAT. People who didn't even know the racers.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

Toby Tri wrote:
Entertaining thread on this at letsrun. http://www.letsrun.com/...d=5395096&page=0

Firstly, a pox on your house for sucking me into that painful but entertaining thread.

3 pages and none of you clowns have pointed out the semantic fact she should be DQ'd for outside assistance:

"I told them that I was indeed in the wrong backing into the finishing lane having crossed the line to kiss my family and friends who drove up to see me, as well as get my watch from my husband who then took a photo.[/url]"

needmoreair wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
There's zero reason he should have ever hit and/or pushed her. Zero. Fucking. Reason.

Should her situational awareness have been a little better? Yes, of course. Still doesn't condone him putting hands on her for any reason. He's a douche on just about the highest level imaginable.

Any of you saying it's her fault should be ashamed.

I've yet to see any definitive proof of any "hitting" occurring at all.

What do you do when someone runs into/makes contact with you? You don't throw up your hands? I bet you do.

Walking in a crowed place and someone plows into you and your hands remain down? Now imagine sprinting. What happens when something makes contact with something else that's moving at a higher rate of speed?

Fair-play if the dude reared back and threw a stiff-arm at her head or something. Then go on with your juvenile name-calling. Until then, though, you're reacting exactly the way the "victim" wants you to. Like lemmings.

What crowded place are you referencing? I see two people and a shit ton of real estate around them. They were the only two people on that part of the course.

Let's say she completely backed into him and it was entirely her fault and he plowed into her. Would one not stop briefly and see if she was alright? He did not do that. Heck, that's douchie in and of itself. We can theorize as to why he didn't stop and every theoretical option still concludes that he's a douche whether he accidentally ran into her and kept on going or purposely hit her.

Everyone keeps clamoring about the video and why wasn't it released. She stated she didn't want this to fester any longer so why would she want to then release a video? Race officials onsite may have reviewed the video and that may have been part of the reason why he was DQ'd.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

needmoreair wrote:

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

there is a TON of room for him to have moved over. I still say no excuse

needmoreair wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:
from the blog and commentary BY THE GUY WHO TOOK THE PHOTO it was NOT that finish area but shortly after T2. She was just starting her run
so he is even more of an ass.

He could just have yelled MOVE

hitting is just plain wrong.

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

That can't be true - exiting T2 is not in front of the finish. As you finish the run, you would run by the transition area, make a right and then run another 75'ish yards to the finish line.

This thread is pointless without video 10 seconds before and 5 seconds after.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

ffmedic84 wrote:
She says punch, he says push. With no video it's hard to see the intent. Did he have time to go around? Was he going around and she backed into him? Until someone sees a video it's hard to truly tell from that picture.

1) she should be disqualified from the race.

2) based on the evidence he should not face criminal charges

3) there is plenty of evidence to form an opinion about this guy

2&3 are different matters. The malice of his intent is evident.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

+1 that picture doesn't prove anything. But it is amazing how one-sided the comments are - what would all of you say if instead the guy was the leading pro and she backed into him on the wrong side of the road and he falls, loses the race and suffers an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season?.

She needs to get some of her male friends to be "swim buddies" for this guy at his next race.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [bingobong] [ In reply to ]

bingobong wrote:
+1 that picture doesn't prove anything. But it is amazing how one-sided the comments are - what would all of you say if instead the guy was the leading pro and she backed into him on the wrong side of the road and he falls, loses the race and suffers an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season?.

Did I is the part where people are excusing what she did? No, didn't think so.....lots of people are saying what she did was wrong. That does NOT mean the this clown gets to use physical force and violence (especially since there was clearly plenty of room).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [bingobong] [ In reply to ]

bingobong wrote:

I would say she was an idiot for getting in his way. This chick was an idiot for doing what she did. Still in no way condones the guy putting hands on her or, if accidentally putting hands on her, not stopping to see if she was okay. He just strolled on unrepentant with a dickhead look on his face.

Would your hypothetical race leading pro have pushed or punched his way right through her and carried on all indignant about it? If so, he's a hypothetical asshole too.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]

No disagreement with what you are saying, but don't you think people are potentially crucifying the guy based on unproven hypothetical assumptions too (which I accept may or may not be true)?. At best all there is to support this right now are differing views and an inconclusive photo. You will note that the title of this tread (and the photo) is "Punching a woman during the race". Just trying to balance the discussion here.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

1) she should be disqualified from the race.

2) based on the evidence he should not face criminal charges

3) there is plenty of evidence to form an opinion about this guy

2&3 are different matters. The malice of his intent is evident.

Have you seen the video? Your basing all this off a still photo. I'm not saying she isn't wrong for not paying attention but you have no idea how the event actually took place.

Prev Next