Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]

KonaCoffee wrote:
None of that matters in regards to this thread. The vitriol exhibited here is bad. Very bad. Even for Slowtwitch. The anger people seem to feel the need to express on the pages really needs taming.

Are you suggesting some sort of a marshmallow roast around a campfire while we sing Kumbya?

Oooh, I know. A marshmallow roast over an open lava vent on Kona!! Wooo. Back to nature and all. Organic. Platonic. Delicious.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

Looks like the person who disseminated an exaggerated version of the incident now turns out to have selfish and low motives.
The race director ousted himself as not knowing his own course and DQ-ing racers on hearsay.
The victim has been shown to have staggered oblivious and even reckless across the race course.

And the chivalrous Slowtwitchers instantly jumping to that poor woman's help and demanding blood... poor suckers.

But it sure was fun to follow.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

It's like the "Fail Mary" in the Packers -Seahawks game last year, although if the guy who hit the girl is a republican and she's a democrat it is an obvious War on Women

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**

windschatten wrote:
Looks like the person who disseminated an exaggerated version of the incident now turns out to have selfish and low motives.
The race director ousted himself as not knowing his own course and DQ-ing racers on hearsay.
The victim has been shown to have staggered oblivious and even reckless across the race course.

And the chivalrous Slowtwitchers instantly jumping to that poor woman's help and demanding blood... poor suckers.

But it sure was fun to follow.

All that being true, he still shouldn't have hit her in the back.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]

An Old Guy wrote:
There are 3 runners running to the left in the far lane. 2 are way down the path. Then there is one at the end. I suspect there were some course management issues.

The gentleman who was involved in the incident seems to be behaving like a motorist. He sees an obstacle in his lane and he tries to not leave the lane but still avoid the obstacle. This is often the cause of car passing close to bicyclists.

It seems like the gentleman had room to get by but the woman kept moving limiting his space - he was pinched between her and the yellow line. It appears that he had no ill intent.

I agree, 100% her fault. I think had he attempted to go to the other side of her they would have both ended up on the ground. It appears that he was running pretty hard and it is probably difficult for him to predict where she is going to be when he passes her, especailly considering she was walking backwards and across the road. He was simply just trying to prevent a collision by using his arm to stop her progress (backwards across the road), he didn't 'punch' her or even push.

I'm stunned by the double standards that are clearly evident here. Reverse the roles for one moment. If he had totally ignored the other racers, backed into her, then almost backed into a second runner, then went on line and blasted her; we would be burning crosses in his yard. She caused the entire situation, not him.

Additionallly, this race director is clueless.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [riltri] [ In reply to ]

riltri wrote:

I have been disappointed in this race director also. See the last few posts of this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=toughkids;#4752456

And video of that incident to follow soon...

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]

Bmanners wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
Can anyone get Dan to send out an email blast once this thing goes live? Thanks.

I might regret this but.....
[URL=http://tinypic.com/r/103zqsm/5]View My Video[/url]

Wow... what a non-event. I've seen worse during most tri swims.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Power13] [ In reply to ]

Power13 wrote:
Ummm....the debate IS over. The RD, the only guy whose opinion really matters, has settled it.

Well the RD's story wasn't really...true. So good that that video was available, huh?

riltri wrote:
I'm stunned by the double standards that are clearly evident here. Reverse the roles for one moment. If he had totally ignored the other racers, backed into her, then almost backed into a second runner, then went on line and blasted her; we would be burning crosses in his yard. She caused the entire situation, not him.

As a man, if I'm bitch-slapped by a woman, I probably deserve it. A woman, however, never deserves to be hit by a man. Other than a Donkey-Punch, which in many cultures is a complementary gesture that women are honored to receive.

I don't mind being held to a higher standard.

They're both at fault.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]

UK2ME wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ummm....the debate IS over. The RD, the only guy whose opinion really matters, has settled it.

Maybe, but I'll take a video over any one person's word.

It'd still be interesting.

Sigh... Nobody owes anybody the damn video. If I were Dev, I'd never post it. There's simply no need to provide gratification; what purpose would it serve at this juncture? This is not a case to be decided in Trial By ST; the RD has made the decision, it's final, suck it up and move on. Unless you want to direct your own races and make those kinds of decisions, in which case you can demand all the video you want.

Quite frankly, I think we're very lucky in being afforded firsthand the opinion of the guy that did get to make the decision, and his reasoning behind the decision he made. That's a privilege, not a right, and to have the decision made by the official in charge questioned and challenged - and pretty aggressively, at that - by people on teh interwebz who don't have the benefit of all of the evidence (and quite rightly so) is extremely disrespectful in and of itself.

So UK2ME.

What purpose did the video serve? Well, it served to show what actually happened.

As for disrespecting the RD? Well, he deserves it now, doesn't he?

Don't just trust someone because they're in a position of "authority". Ask the questions.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Peanut] [ In reply to ]

Peanut wrote:
Did he do something wrong? Maybe.
Did she do something wrong? Maybe.
Did they both do something wrong? Maybe.

What I do know is that the race officials and the Race Director have responsibility to review any issues that come up, and to deal with them according to the rules. Sounds like they've done that.

Everything else deals with the court of public opinion, emphasis on opinion. So like when we rubberneck passing an auto accident, the phrase is "nothing to see here, keep moving." But boy is it fun to look. And this train wreck is right up there with Fin Man (although not as one-sided.) The trick will be to see who is willing to give the other person the last word, whether they agree or disagree.

Boy, I'm glad that video clarified things for everyone. Not.

I wasn't at the race and don't know anyone involved in the incident, but I would like to say 'thank you' to two people:

- the race director, who organized the race so that we have events to race. Without them, this sport wouldn't exist.

- the race official, who is willing to put his or her butt on the line to make calls under some difficult conditions. Without them, I can imagine what the free-for-all would look like.

I would love to see all of us try on a pair of event management or officiating shoes, to see whether we can fill them. Volunteer or go to an officials' clinic, and see what it looks like from the other side of the fence.

God grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot change, the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

riltri wrote:
I'm stunned by the double standards that are clearly evident here. Reverse the roles for one moment.

I think it's a DQ for a woman that does that to some bumbling fool of a guy hamming it up for his family with total disregard for the other participants in the race.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [hullcb] [ In reply to ]

hullcb wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:
so if you running along as you state above knocked someone to the ground you would fall in the camp of just running on? the race is more important that the fact you just knocked a human being down? no sorry? no seeing if they are ok?

do all of you who fall in this camp also fall in the hit and run? ie if you hit someone in your car you would just keep going?

You seem to make some false assumptions.

I don't race. I attend events. I don't knock people down. If they fall, it is because they were at fault. I don't hit people with my car. But I cannot prevent people from falling into my car.

I think you make those assumptions because you race, you knock people down, and you hit people with your car.

My mind is now officially blown...

either you have zero reading comprehension or you are severely personality disordered or just stupid (aimed at An Old Guy not hullcb)

clearly incapable of having an actual conversation or the ability to backup your own statements

your continued defense of this guy after the video being posted shows that he was running in the wrong place, leaned in to shove her, and could EASILY have avoided her speaks volumes
Last edited by: TriGirrrrl: Sep 24, 13 5:25

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Peanut] [ In reply to ]

Peanut wrote:

I wasn't at the race and don't know anyone involved in the incident, but I would like to say 'thank you' to two people:

- the race director, who organized the race so that we have events to race. Without them, this sport wouldn't exist.

Was that supposed to be in pink?

'Cause from everything I've seen and read, the RD is a MAJOR part of this problem.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Sep 24, 13 5:29

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
UK2ME wrote:

Sigh... Nobody owes anybody the damn video. If I were Dev, I'd never post it. There's simply no need to provide gratification; what purpose would it serve at this juncture? This is not a case to be decided in Trial By ST; the RD has made the decision, it's final, suck it up and move on. Unless you want to direct your own races and make those kinds of decisions, in which case you can demand all the video you want.

Quite frankly, I think we're very lucky in being afforded firsthand the opinion of the guy that did get to make the decision, and his reasoning behind the decision he made. That's a privilege, not a right, and to have the decision made by the official in charge questioned and challenged - and pretty aggressively, at that - by people on teh interwebz who don't have the benefit of all of the evidence (and quite rightly so) is extremely disrespectful in and of itself.

So UK2ME.

What purpose did the video serve? Well, it served to show what actually happened.

As for disrespecting the RD? Well, he deserves it now, doesn't he?

Don't just trust someone because they're in a position of "authority". Ask the questions.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes, it did. Does it change the outcome? Nope. The RD's decision stands.

I don't think it casts any shame on the RD. I'm not sure I necessarily agree with his description of the event, but it's a short, quick video, and I didn't speak with anyone involved nor see the woman at the end so there is still an information asymmetry. The watchman does not need castigating for this decision, IMO.

Personally, I'd have DQ'd the guy too. Was she stupid? Yes. Absolutely. Self-absorbed and oblivious of the race around her. Was he an ignorant douche? Yes. I do believe that contact was unnecessary, unnecessarily harsh and that he could have avoided her. There are rules against malice, but not against being a ditz. Alas - I would love to be able to regulate stupid.

UK2ME wrote:

I don't think it casts any shame on the RD. I'm not sure I necessarily agree with his description of the event, but it's a short, quick video, and I didn't speak with anyone involved nor see the woman at the end so there is still an information asymmetry. The watchman does not need castigating for this decision, IMO.

Personally, I'd have DQ'd the guy too. Was she stupid? Yes. Absolutely. Self-absorbed and oblivious of the race around her. Was he an ignorant douche? Yes. I do believe that contact was unnecessary, unnecessarily harsh and that he could have avoided her. There are rules against malice, but not against being a ditz. Alas - I would love to be able to regulate stupid.

^^this

yes she was oblivious and in her own bubble
he had NO reason to knock into her none, zero. absolutely shows him to be a total d-bag

UK2ME wrote:

But we now know that how that decision was made is a lie. He obviously didn't see the video. Not only did he not see the video, but he bought ALL of the b.s. he was fed by her and her cronies. And not only that, but then he went and regurgitated it to third parties!

You were going on about trusting the RD to make the decision. Well the RD lied about the information he had to make that decision. He didn't have all the info. His decision was based on hearsay and exaggeration.

But even if you play the heartfelt tugs of damsel in distress, it still doesn't excuse his coming on here and denigrating the guy with tales of punches to the face and all.

How that isn't shameful is beyond me.

Castigating? No, surely not. But from this incident and the other child's incident reported above it's quite apparent that he needs to be replaced. .

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]

TriGirrrrl wrote:

^^this

he had NO reason to knock into her none, zero. absolutely shows him to be a total d-bag

Remember that, if you ever have someone completely oblivious on the bike take you down.

POLL Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kdw] [ In reply to ]

While not as important as Slapgate, for me the burning question that remains is:

Was the hapless guy in the finishing chute:

a) clever enough to see his photos were a disaster if he didn't fall back for a clean background, or
b) actually overhauled by the ignorant diva and her flock because he went out too hard on the bike?

kdw wrote:
I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:

http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735

(scroll down past half way to see the earlier chute shots where he clearly had the lead)
(and either way, definitely a gentleman for not tripping any of the moppets as they went sailing past him)

TriGirrrrl wrote:

^^this

So let's make up lies and spread them around the internet so more people can jump on the bandwagon and make this a federal witchhunt for the guy? That sound better?

It's a non-issue. It should have never left the race course.

I think the bigger question I have is this. If the RD has ultimate authority (and yes they will along with officials have and deserve that power), I just hope they are up front with how they come to a conclusion. If he wanted to DQ the athlete, he certainly can, I would just hope/think the utmost accuracy is detailed.

Just as if an athlete is penalized and official has to use descriptions to ensure the right person who he penalizes is who he said it was (description of bike, uniform, etc). Accuracy, accuracy is needed, especially if it is part of your reasoning for your actions.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

oceanlife wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:

^^this

Remember that, if you ever have someone completely oblivious on the bike take you down.

she did not take him down he RAN INTO HER though he was running on the wrong side and had OODLES of room to avoid her.

I have been taken out (bike racing not triathlon) and yes beginners are clueless on the bike and I give them a wide berth

Re: POLL Re: Punching a woman during a race? [snail_male] [ In reply to ]

snail_male wrote:
While not as important as Slapgate, for me the burning question that remains is:

Was the hapless guy in the finishing chute:

a) clever enough to see his photos were a disaster if he didn't fall back for a clean background, or
b) actually overhauled by the ignorant diva and her flock because he went out too hard on the bike?

kdw wrote:
I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:

http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735

(scroll down past half way to see the earlier chute shots where he clearly had the lead)
(and either way, definitely a gentleman for not tripping any of the moppets as they went sailing past him)

I know this has already been stated, but wow. Narcissism at its best.

You can see the dude clearly out to the side of her gaggle of kids. It looks like he was forced to drop back to let them pass through. Shame

TriGirrrrl wrote:

she did not take him down he RAN INTO HER though he was running on the wrong side and had OODLES of room to avoid her.

This whole overblown situation wouldn't have occurred if she had some basic freakin awareness and turned her head first. It's clear that no one was on the right side.

Prev Next