Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

I'm disappointed in the lot of you. How are there 14 pages at Lets Run and only one here. They've already identified that the guy works at ESPN. Have completely blamed the woman, well I'd say 75%. They clearly have zero respect for triathletes. And damn ST is supposed to be a mean place, they are downright brutal there.

From http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...=501034&posts=20

"Apparently this is the 3rd time in 27 years that a man has touched a woman's body in order to complete a triathlon race."

insert joke here

Post deleted by GatorDeb [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Sep 19, 13 22:44
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]

Crazy!

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [lithops] [ In reply to ]

So she was wrong first. That does not, again does not excuse what he did and it is completely wrong and inappropriate to make contact like that with an individual. But the race course is not the place to meet your family. You cross, you get out of the way, you celebrate. Why does she have to interchange the watch with her husband in the middle of the course? He was trying to go for time, she got in the way.

All you need to know about his character is that he sent a letter complaining he was disqualified without an apology. He's within his right to appeal the disqualification, but whether he feels he's wrong or not, a "I am sorry there was contact with another competitor in the course and that is definitely not my intention as a finish time in a race or even finish, or any aspect of the race should never come another human being." should have been the first sentence on that letter, along with a request to pass on the apology to the stricken racer.

It is definitely possible to collide with a racer not on purpose depending on what they do on the course and whether I'm expecting it or not and how much time and space I have to react (and my reaction times may be slower or faster than someone else's), but I would definitely be apologizing profusely, first on the course, then on message boards if I'm seeing it being discussed, and I'd probably not appeal the disqualification and would just chalk it up to being "one of those things" but I would definitely be sending in a letter explaining my side, i.e. didn't expect that, didn't have enough time to react, definitely not my intention for contact, I am sorry for the situation, etc.

Moral of the story: Do not do things you're not supposed to, even if "everybody does it" which seems to be her excuse for something she seems to know that's wrong, and humans are more important than a race.
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Sep 20, 13 21:44

Post deleted by Wetfeet [ In reply to ]
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]

That does not, again does not excuse what he did and it is completely wrong and inappropriate to make contact like that with an individual. But ….

There really shouldn't be any "but" here, he is an ass.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
That does not, again does not excuse what he did and it is completely wrong and inappropriate to make contact like that with an individual. But ….

There really shouldn't be any "but" here, he is an ass.
When quoting like that please quote the entire sentence as to not make it seem people are saying one thing when they really aren't. That's the same thing that is going on here, commenting on things without the whole picture and out of context.

She stopped, waved, took pictures, and got in his way. We do not know if he had time to react or not, but she crossed into the way of someone running really fast. She was not blameless. And my whole post shows how he was wrong.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]

tucktri wrote:
I'm disappointed in the lot of you. How are there 14 pages at Lets Run and only one here. They've already identified that the guy works at ESPN. Have completely blamed the woman, well I'd say 75%. They clearly have zero respect for triathletes. And damn ST is supposed to be a mean place, they are downright brutal there.

No kidding. I thought ST was narcissists and elitists central, where if you can't do a sub 9 ironman, you're a third class citizen with no value as a human being. Letsrun makes ST look like saints!

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]

When quoting like that please quote the entire sentence as to not make it seem people are saying one thing when they really aren't. That's the same thing that is going on here, commenting on things without the whole picture and out of context.

It's not really out of context, I didn't want to copy your entire post and did copy the part where you started saying that it was inappropriate.

You can justify his actions or give him the benefit of the doubt any way you want but in my opinion he is an ass and there is no excuse so no need to add a "but" to anything.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 20, 13 0:23

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

It's not really out of context, I didn't want to copy your entire post and did copy the part where you started saying that it was inappropriate.

You can justify his actions or give him the benefit of the doubt any way you want but in my opinion he is an ass and there is no excuse so no need to add a "but" to anything.

Completely agree. She could have jumped in front of him for all I care. No one made him extend his arm and punch/push her away with that smug d-bag look on his face.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, it's amazing how many people think this is acceptable behavior in the swim discipline. D-bags gonna be d-bags.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]

I don't have the facts, nevertheless I'm inclined to describe her as a bit careless and him as a cock. If that had been my missus and I saw it happen, I might have chased him down and thumped him on the head. And given that he was only running 7:30 min/miles I'd have caught him too.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]

This seems to be the general view of triathletes from Letsrun. A quote from a frequent poster:

If you’ve read my Letsrun posts over the years, you know that I have on many occasions defended things I felt the Letsrun community got wrong and/or didn't understand. Besides the punching incident, a lot is being made of the general triathlete demeanor. I have been to a lot of triathlons, I’ve done a few of them and I have to agree that at times it seem like triathletes all have a common personality disorder. Perhaps I should not say all, but a lot of them have an elitist attitude. I can’t quite put my finger on have causes this attitude, but this is what I think might be the cause:

1. It is a very expensive sport, more expensive than the average runner can imagine and perhaps triathletes represents the general attitude of people with money.
2. The requirements of the sports, the money and time are such that it requires a somewhat compulsive personality and this is what you see in their behavior.
3. A lot of the participants were never athletes, they spent most of their life as a spectator and perhaps envious of athletes and perhaps their behaviors now is reflective of they think is an athlete’s behaviors.
4. Perhaps they are angry about all of the money, time and effort put into triathlons and they seem to achieve what they want to achieve.

I welcome comments from a triathlete[/url]

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/...page=7#ixzz2fQfMcAEB

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]

Well, it's a good thing he has done a "few" triathlons so he can have a reasoned opinion. I agree with every point he makes, but change "a lot of them" with "a few of them" and he nails it. Pretty much like every other sport/hobby/endeavor/etc.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]

Wow for a guy that has not been too involved in triathlons, he sure is…..perceptive. :)

She's pretty hot. maybe he was just trying to cop a feel : )

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]

Does anyone else see the irony in her calling him out as narcissistic several times, while she was the one backing out onto the race course to have freakin' photo taken, instead of getting off the course and then doing it?

It's also tough to tell from the picture what really happened there. It would appear that he had ample room to simply go around her.

Spot

A completely obvlvious person walks backwards into the finish area of a race course and gets plowed into, then plays up this ridiculous "victim" angle to garner sympathy and attention all so she can then play up this "forgive and forget 'cause I'm such a nice person" angle, all the while failing to realize what a self-absorbed, egomanical, self-entitled narcissus she comes across as.

That about sum it up?

She should be DQed, too. Her actions are completely cringe-worthy, as are that of blogger's and anyone else hell-bent on seeking out and dragging this guy's name through the mud simply because of a ridiculously biased blog whose sole agenda is playing the victim card for this woman.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [spot] [ In reply to ]

Any man that hits a woman needs his ass whipped severely..................................

NCVC
2nd place is just the 1st loser
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers
Last edited by: jjmstang: Sep 20, 13 5:31

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

"I'm generally not one for law enforcement involvement in sports, but if I were her, I'd be pressing charges for battery, especially if there is video."

As I understand it, there is a video which the woman's husband has but is not releasing. Without seeing it, I could see it being possible that as opposed to a punch he fended off someone who ran backwards into him....at least possible enough that I'm not ready to start throwing a rope over a tree limb based on the info I've seen.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

from the blog and commentary BY THE GUY WHO TOOK THE PHOTO it was NOT that finish area but shortly after T2. She was just starting her run
so he is even more of an ass.

He could just have yelled MOVE

hitting is just plain wrong.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
A completely obvlvious person walks backwards into the finish area of a race course and gets plowed into, then plays up this ridiculous "victim" angle to garner sympathy and attention all so she can then play up this "forgive and forget 'cause I'm such a nice person" angle, all the while failing to realize what a self-absorbed, egomanical, self-entitled narcissus she comes across as.

That about sum it up?

She should be DQed, too. Her actions are completely cringe-worthy, as are that of blogger's and anyone else hell-bent on seeking out and dragging this guy's name through the mud simply because of a ridiculously biased blog whose sole agenda is playing the victim card for this woman.

This.

Also, the fact that she didn't post the video along with the "incriminating" photo. Probably showed her at fault as much as the guy. Dude was probably redlining and stiff armed her the second he realized the lady was going to backpedal into him. Between him running forward and her running backwards the collision was probably substantial enough for her to think he threw a punch.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]

TriGirrrrl wrote:
from the blog and commentary BY THE GUY WHO TOOK THE PHOTO it was NOT that finish area but shortly after T2. She was just starting her run
so he is even more of an ass.

He could just have yelled MOVE

hitting is just plain wrong.

It was right in front of the finish line. She was starting her run, he was sprinting to the finish. She backed straight into him while he's in full sprint mode at the end of a race.

On two different occasions I've run into people who have suddenly cut in front of me with no warning coming from the opposite direction. There's nothing that "yelling" can do in that situation. Until video is shown proving otherwise, I'm not convinced this was not a similar situation.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kdw] [ In reply to ]

kdw wrote:
"I'm generally not one for law enforcement involvement in sports, but if I were her, I'd be pressing charges for battery, especially if there is video."

As I understand it, there is a video which the woman's husband has but is not releasing. Without seeing it, I could see it being possible that as opposed to a punch he fended off someone who ran backwards into him....at least possible enough that I'm not ready to start throwing a rope over a tree limb based on the info I've seen.

Is this like rubberneckers driving past an automobile accident that's being cleaned up? "Nothing to see... Keep moving...". It sounds like the parties directly involved have had their say, and anyone that needs to review for possible additional action have been brought into the loop. Damn, looks like the twitchhunters missed the scoop on this one.

There's zero reason he should have ever hit and/or pushed her. Zero. Fucking. Reason.

Should her situational awareness have been a little better? Yes, of course. Still doesn't condone him putting hands on her for any reason. He's a douche on just about the highest level imaginable.

Any of you saying it's her fault should be ashamed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Prev Next