Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [mshearer] [ In reply to ]

mshearer wrote:
So I have not read everything in here, but skimmed most of it and some of letsrun, and understand he was DQd, which seems most likely fair, but was she also DQd? I would think she would have had to have been correct?

Seeing the finishing line pics with all the kids, the fact that she got her watch from her husband, and also caused (or was at least partially to blame, not sure without video) a collision with another athlete on the course?

if you read the RACE DIRECTOR"s posts a page or so back she did NOT cause the collision. HE WAS RUNNING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. HE caused it and HE struck another competitor and then did not have the humanity to stop and see if she was ok.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFm1DKamuIY

in case you thought there was nothing worse than punching a woman

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]

knighty76 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFm1DKamuIY

in case you thought there was nothing worse than punching a woman

Yes, that was clearly a punch. I can now make a clear determination that he should have been DQ'd. That's for finally posting the video.

Just curious, but how do most define a punch vs. a collision or a shove?

What I really want to see is a video of Blair dropping his shoulder and really leaning into the her as he yells "get the F*** out of the way you s*** * i**ch. Then stop and kick her a few times while she's down. That would take the smile off her face. I mean hell, if you gonna get DQ'd you might as well go down in flames and make sure you not only DQ, but also get arrested by the local authorities for felony assault & battery.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

If that's the case, I sure hope I have a bunch of "classic cases of assholes" on a jury if I'm ever in court for a crime. And I bet you'd hope for that, too.

You mean a jury that wants to see the evidence before jumping to a conclusion?

On here there appears to be a lot of people who have already jumped to a conclusion, who don't even want to see the evidence.

It's like every aspect of their lives is approached with religious zealotry...

It seems we have a woman who views racing as mostly a fun social event, goes across the lane to say hi to friends and family. She then backpedals into a man (who is trying hard for a PR and to catch the guy ahead of him) who is at the limit when he is finishing a race. The man is in full rage mode and acts accordingly... he knocks her out of the way, and continues on. The woman is shocked and cries, but she isn't hurt. The spectators are on her side of course. She finishes in good spirits and writes a blog post about the incident and notifies USAT, who DQs the man for unsportsmanlike conduct.

IMO there is nothing wrong with taking the race seriously. It is also common for people (guys especially) to use anger as fuel when all the other fuels are gone. Sport is a proxy for battle. It isn't a problem unless that anger is directed inappropriately... and in this case it appears it was. I think the DQ is probably justified. When another person makes accidental contact regardless of the circumstances, it is your duty to mitigate the impact and damage as much as possible. I'd sure like to see the video though...

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]

if you read the RACE DIRECTOR"s posts a page or so back she did NOT cause the collision. HE WAS RUNNING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. HE caused it and HE struck another competitor and then did not have the humanity to stop and see if she was ok.

That's silly.

Both of them (and a bunch of other people apparently) had the lanes backwards. This cancels out.

Fair enough, I am not really arguing if he should have been DQd, but rather should not she have been DQd as well for a myriad of offenses?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [rruff] [ In reply to ]

>> It is also common for people (guys especially) to use anger as fuel when all the other fuels are gone. Sport is a proxy for battle.<<

oh good grief. therapy anyone?

~~ kate

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

Did he do something wrong? Maybe.
Did she do something wrong? Maybe.
Did they both do something wrong? Maybe.

What I do know is that the race officials and the Race Director have responsibility to review any issues that come up, and to deal with them according to the rules. Sounds like they've done that.

Everything else deals with the court of public opinion, emphasis on opinion. So like when we rubberneck passing an auto accident, the phrase is "nothing to see here, keep moving." But boy is it fun to look. And this train wreck is right up there with Fin Man (although not as one-sided.) The trick will be to see who is willing to give the other person the last word, whether they agree or disagree.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Peanut] [ In reply to ]

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [mshearer] [ In reply to ]

mshearer wrote:
Fair enough, I am not really arguing if he should have been DQd, but rather should not she have been DQd as well for a myriad of offenses?

after she was struck she backed into the wrong lane and per the RD the volunteers then corrected that

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]

Please enter the world that we all live in...

I don't think Greg Lemond would have taken kindly to someone stepping into his path at the end of this race either...

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [lurch] [ In reply to ]

435 posts, over 34000 views, multiple announcements of THE VIDEO, but no show of THE VIDEO yet.
People, the suspense is KILLING ME !!!1!!11!!

Cheers,
malte

Honestly? Really?

Greg Lemond strikes me as a perfect gentleman. I do believe he would act accordingly in the appropriate circumstances.

Even in the field of battle, there is a code of conduct, my friend.

Semper fi.

~~ kate

You make a *very* good point.

Greg Lemond *is* a perfect gentleman. But at the finishing sprint of the world championships he is in full rage mode.

Do you seriously think he would have been a gentleman at that moment if someone had gotten in his way?

Absolutely. Unequivocally. Yes.

~~ kate

Sprinting for a TDF stage win is a bit different than running in for a 1:39 half run leg, isn't it? Good grief.

This whole conversation and the willingness (word?) of the masses to jump to conclusions based on a snapshot in time, in lieu of the full evidence, puts me in mind of an Oasis music video. Or is it just an excuse to check out a good music video. Ok, well, a music video, then. Ok, well a video, at least. Sorry for throwing Liam Gallagher into the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kdHXrJYF8

Lance would clotheslines his own kids!

(Trying to nudge this thread off the hook from being a mere trainwreck to full implosion).

But what if a woman backed up on the course in the Tour De France doing a moon walk, after getting her watch from her husband and kissing her kids? Maybe, just maybe Lemond would have "Blaired " her....in the heat of battle....

I agree with you, in battle or life, there is a code of conduct that we should all aspire to, but we do fall short plenty of times. I hope Mr. Cullen (and others) learned from this.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chrisinma] [ In reply to ]

Good video supporting my POV that as humans we fall short sometimes...even people who get paid for sport as well as every day Joes.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
But I don't think the video is going to settle much. There are people who make a decision after hearing one side. There are people who want to hear both sides.

For heaven's sake, the Race Director saw the video, disqualified the guy based on the video, end of story. Who cares what some armchair quarterbacks on ST think.

I don't see much fairness in the promoter's actions. I don't even see a way to make a fair decision.

But if you are happy, I am happy that you are happy.

---

The promoter made some comments about the course: run to the left of the yellow line, then make a right turn.

If I am going to make a right turn, I am going to run toward the turn not along the yellow line. I am assuming that there was not a orange cone at the turn to make the course actually be on the left side of the yellow line. That orange cone makes a big difference to me relative to if the fellow was on the correct side of the yellow line or not.

I tend to run with my fingers bent - a loose fist. If I ran into someone, it might look like I punched them.

I don't care about the event. But if I am going to read this thread, I want to read both sides.

If only this could happen to every person that runs alongside the cyclists... :)

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]

An Old Guy wrote:

If I am going to make a right turn, I am going to run toward the turn not along the yellow line. I am assuming that there was not a orange cone at the turn to make the course actually be on the left side of the yellow line. That orange cone makes a big difference to me relative to if the fellow was on the correct side of the yellow line or not.

I tend to run with my fingers bent - a loose fist. If I ran into someone, it might look like I punched them.

I don't care about the event. But if I am going to read this thread, I want to read both sides.

so if you running along as you state above knocked someone to the ground you would fall in the camp of just running on? the race is more important that the fact you just knocked a human being down? no sorry? no seeing if they are ok?

do all of you who fall in this camp also fall in the hit and run? ie if you hit someone in your car you would just keep going?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
Back to the point; I'm not implying a thing in the least. The decision of the RD has nothing to do with it. As I have painstakingly repeated ad nauseum, my only issue with this entire thread/incident is the ensuing witchhunt created by a blogger and the bandwagon that so many jumped on without evidence. You're not on my side? Do you even know what my side is? Maybe you do, but I'm wondering... And if we go by the petty name-calling on the last few pages it's obvious there are a number of posters on this thread have no idea what my side is despite me spelling it out multiple times in multiple places. I have never, ever condoned any violence or malicious behavior and if you were bothered to look through this thread you could see that for yourself.

You're discussing demand for the video, I'm discussing the relentless attacks on this guy sans video. Maybe the video will prove these attacks were warranted, but the fact that they happened to such an extent prior to said video is primarily the part I have an issue with. Nothing the RD has done or said makes any sort of difference whatsoever to said issue. So no, I won't just "suck it up and move along" because it has nothing to do with anything. And my expressing interest in the video has nothing to do with respect or disrespect in any way whatsoever.

I've found a list of... what? Where? And I do what?

I didn't bring up fallacies and debating protocols. Someone else did. If you're going to continue to respond to my posts please do so in an informed manner. Just making up assertions shows a lack of class and is distasteful and tacky. Since you seem concerned with those things...

And I haven't called any posters in this thread a name. Read through my posts. You'll note that any name-calling in my post has been made by the person I'm replying to. Like I said, please respond to my posts in an informed manner and don't make things up. It's terribly distasteful.

Edit: I did suggest a poster was a high-school dropout. Ugh. My mistake.

There's certainly plenty of unnecessary name-calling to be shared, that's for sure, and I apologise for you being the person who caught the back side of it from me. I know you're not the only offender; I have read the entire thread.

Calling my post an "appeal to authority" is a direct reference to a use of a rhetological fallacy, and in this case incorrectly. If you would like me to go into why, I will - but I think it's beside the point. (In case you're interested, here's a fantastic chart: http://infobeautiful3.s3.amazonaws.com/...cal_fallacies_EN.png ... and I mean that with absolutely no malice, I'm just a geek about these things!)

Your insistence that a response is unjustified without the video is what's giving me grief. The RD has made a judgement call based on the available evidence and also explained the circumstances surrounding the event, which has resulted in a DQ of this man for unsportsmanlike conduct. Do we have the right to condemn a man for an offence for which he was DQ'd? It depends if we trust the RD to make a good, reasonable decision. If we do (and my understanding is that Richard Izzo is pretty well thought of around these parts), then it is disrespectful to imply that by viewing the video ourselves, we can make a better decision than the RD already did.
I suspect you and I differ in that opinion.

Does the ST community tend to jump in hard and early? Yes. Does that mean it's unjustified? Not necessarily. This is not a case of "innocent until proven guilty" - he had already been deemed guilty and disqualified. In order for the DQ to have taken place, the guy engaged in some pretty unsportsmanlike conduct. Whether he punched a woman, tripped a dude, or ripped the arm off a baby... Does the degree of physical battery change anything? Maybe it does - there are other people arguing about why this is cause for a DQ on the run but contact on the swim is considered inevitable and acceptable. I honestly don't know that answer.

I think that you and I agree that the vilification was swift and unrelenting. From the way I'm reading your posts, I think you're trying to justify the level of vilification by requesting the video, whereas I am making no attempt to address the level of vilification but I am arguing the necessity of posting the video because I don't understand what it will change or what good it will do. Is that a fair representation?

I don't disagree with you that the tarring and feathering of this guy may have been excessive and/or premature. We're debating the posting of the video for entirely different reasons... and we probably should stop, because we're talking at cross purposes.

Burnt Toast - I thought the video was tied to the blog post prior to it being taken down, but I double-checked and am willing to concede that I misremembered that and it was two pictures that were removed. My bad.

TriGirrrrl wrote:

do all of you who fall in this camp also fall in the hit and run? ie if you hit someone in your car you would just keep going?

Depends on if I was about to break my fastest time on a known route.

Prev Next