Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kdw] [ In reply to ]

kdw wrote:
I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:

http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735

Those picture sort of say it all about her attitude in general and cognizance of others around her.

There seems to be a common theme here: complete obliviousness.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

I'm just trying to catch up to letsruns 19 pages.

kdw wrote:
I'm just trying to catch up to letsruns 19 pages.

On the last page myself.

Quite the saga. :D

The guy behind her definitely needs to buy the shot of him finishing with the gaggle of kids in front of him and the "Toughman" arch. His co-workers could say "Oh, I see you finished a race called the Toughman? Must have been pretty hard, although it doesn't look like the kids who beat you thought it was too tough."

kdw wrote:

I'm not even going to comment on the gaggle of kids, but she seems to look fine with no scratches or bruises on her face as reported by others. Or maybe it is on the other side that we can't see but in any case it looks like she recovered fine from the incident and finished the race in good spirits.

kdw wrote:

Looks like the Pied-Piper montage scene from Rocky II. Those can't be all hers.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]

UK2ME wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:
Just for accuracy, according to dev, the RD passed the video on to him in the hopes it having it accessible and to post it online. So if the RD has willingly forwarded it to be posted, it seems he's atleast wanting it out there. But this is just from what dev has said and posted.

Yes, I did see that it was willingly given - but even so I personally don't see a good reason for making it public as fodder for the wolves, unless Richard Izzo wishes to justify his decision to the ST community. In my opinion he has no obligation to justify anything any further than the explanation he has already provided, and that was generous and thorough. I don't believe that posting the video will change the minds of those who are determinedly on either side of this argument, and also the original owner of the video removed it from their blog because they did not wish for it to go viral.

Was it EVER posted online?

There were two pictures that were originally posted and later removed, but I've never read anywhere that the video was posted, just that one existed.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]

Guys, I am in apointments this morning, then have to go to the airport to catch a flight to the west coast. If someone I know can send me an email offering to post the video, I will forward it to that person around noon EST when I pick up emails at the airport. I believe when you see the video, and understand where the flow of runners is supposed to be, you'll see that Richard's recommendation to DQ is totally valid. The woman in question actually does back into the man, but as it turns out she is in her correct lane (she later goes off and starts running in the wrong lane like everyone). The man who might be thinking he is in the correct lane is actually in the wrong lane (well, he is hugging the yellow line but on the side he is not supposed to be running on....it appears everyone is running on the wrong side at least that is what is seen in the video). In any case, there is no question that a DQ for unsportsman like conduct was warranted. If we can't get the video up today, then you can please go with that.

Dev

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

When she strays into the finishing chute and the man initiates contact, it will be clear that she falls back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

devashish_paul wrote:
Guys, I am in apointments this morning, then have to go to the airport to catch a flight to the west coast. If someone I know can send me an email offering to post the video, I will forward it to that person around noon EST when I pick up emails at the airport. I believe when you see the video, and understand where the flow of runners is supposed to be, you'll see that Richard's recommendation to DQ is totally valid. The woman in question actually does back into the man, but as it turns out she is in her correct lane (she later goes off and starts running in the wrong lane like everyone). The man who might be thinking he is in the correct lane is actually in the wrong lane (well, he is hugging the yellow line but on the side he is not supposed to be running on....it appears everyone is running on the wrong side at least that is what is seen in the video). In any case, there is no question that a DQ for unsportsman like conduct was warranted. If we can't get the video up today, then you can please go with that.

Dev

Thanks Dev. Now I want to see the video just to see how and why the heck everyone seems to be running in the wrong lane.

Oh, so my opinion only counts as well as my writing. As a human being, even if a high school dropout, my opinion does not count. Thank You

kdw wrote:
I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735[/quote[/url]]

Her race was clearly ruined given the permenant smile on her face. I'm glad she can thouroughly enjoy the whole event. Good for her.

Not that she cares, but I bet she probably capable for a sub 5 hr time if she really trained and went hard nd tooj it serously. But she might not get anythign out of traiing more and going faster. Some folk could care less and to each their own. But I hope they can understand that soemone finishing in the top 10 overall might be taking the race a little mroe seriously.

Still waiting for that video to make final judgement. Still haven't see anything that resembles a "punch". Though with the new description of the finishing chute, I place more blame in my mind on the guy finishing since it appears he may have been out of position.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

needmoreair wrote:
You're discussing demand for the video, I'm discussing the relentless attacks on this guy sans video. Maybe the video will prove these attacks were warranted, but the fact that they happened to such an extent prior to said video is primarily the part I have an issue with. Nothing the RD has done or said makes any sort of difference whatsoever to said issue.

I agree with your view point.

But I don't think the video is going to settle much. There are people who make a decision after hearing one isde. There are people who want to hear both sides.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

Kenney wrote:
Oh, so my opinion only counts as well as my writing. As a human being, even if a high school dropout, my opinion does not count. Thank You

You must be butter 'cause you're on a roll.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]

An Old Guy wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
You're discussing demand for the video, I'm discussing the relentless attacks on this guy sans video. Maybe the video will prove these attacks were warranted, but the fact that they happened to such an extent prior to said video is primarily the part I have an issue with. Nothing the RD has done or said makes any sort of difference whatsoever to said issue.

I agree with your view point.

But I don't think the video is going to settle much. There are people who make a decision after hearing one isde. There are people who want to hear both sides.

Yeah, maybe not.

But after all the anticipation, all the conjecture, all the promise... the people need closure. Closure! ;D

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [eganski] [ In reply to ]

eganski wrote:
When she strays into the finishing chute and the man initiates contact, it will be clear that she falls back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Haha. Well played.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [bingobong] [ In reply to ]

bingobong wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

Thanks Dev. Now I want to see the video just to see how and why the heck everyone seems to be running in the wrong lane.

Great, the perception that triathletes cannot handle a bike is already established in the cycling world, now we'll have to deal with the perception triathletes are not only slow but they can't even run in the correct lane.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]

For heaven's sake, the Race Director saw the video, disqualified the guy based on the video, end of story. Who cares what some armchair quarterbacks on ST think.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

For heaven's sake, the Race Director saw the video, disqualified the guy based on the video, end of story. Who cares what some armchair quarterbacks on ST think.

You apparently do since you felt compelled to call it into question.

kdw wrote:
I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735[/quote[/url]]

wow

There's a lot of controversy in the Running World about races where they allow strollers, families crossing the finish together etc. People don't really give a crap about their times, just out to finish and have fun. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the race is billed as such.

Obviously, this Blair fellow should stick to the more athletic contests and let the families have the Toughman series.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nasrettin Hoca] [ In reply to ]

Good point there. Blair might be best to stick with WTC branded events or try a REV 3 event. I doubt he had this type of problem at Syracuse 70.3. I think they attempt to make all participants follow all the rules in terms of athlete conduct and outside assistance.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

Can you please read some of the actual posts by needmoreair and a couple others who have NO problem with the race directors decision or that the guy was DQ'd at all? The problem is the insistance of a lot poster to defame and slander this guy with no evidence at all except that from a blogger who has personal ties with the woman in this incident. He said he puched her, and even removed the pictures that supposedly supported his accusation. Even the title of this thread reads "Punching a woman during a race?" which was started by NAB777.

Why is that so hard for some people to figure out. The thread continues and a video is promised so the masses can see for themselves if it was justified to basically accuse this guy of battery or not.

It has NOTHING to do with a DQ.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Sep 23, 13 7:57

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]

So I have not read everything in here, but skimmed most of it and some of letsrun, and understand he was DQd, which seems most likely fair, but was she also DQd? I would think she would have had to have been correct?

Seeing the finishing line pics with all the kids, the fact that she got her watch from her husband, and also caused (or was at least partially to blame, not sure without video) a collision with another athlete on the course?

devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

It is easy to post the video yourself. YouTube is a Google service any Google account that you have can be used to post the video or you could create on in less then a minute.

If you still don't want to do that. Maybe reach out to someone via e-mail that you feel can do it. It doesn't look like anyone you know is watching this thread. As it has been a full day and you are still looking.
Last edited by: lurch: Sep 23, 13 7:11

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]

Really?? How is that a "good point"? A race is a race, regardless of who puts it on. If this was a fun run, with no timing mats and people just doing it for a good cause, it would be a "good point". What Mr. Cullen did was wrong, but he was racing like most people do when the sign up for a race - you race. Some race while other just cruise, but in the end it is still a race. Mr. Hoca's post is totally idiotic. Even small local events expect participants to follow the rules, people just disregard them. If they are caught, they should be DQ'd. Maybe we should have a non-racer wave now for people who don't want to race be just swim a little, cut the bike course and cross the finish line with 10+ kids and feel good about their accomplishment. Oh, and then we can throw color powder at them along the way.

Prev Next