Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [RRWJ] [ In reply to ]

RRWJ wrote:
I can't believe no one ran out and tackled this guy or worse after hitting a woman.

Have we had a facepalm in this thread?

This post deserves a facepalm.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
MegRuns wrote:

------

Since we're talking about acceptable behavior though, tell me, do you think it is acceptable behavior to call people you've never met bitches and assholes?

Zing, zing. People get all rowdy on the interwebz when defending their moral high roads....

Good call.

---

Believe me there are plenty of assholes on ST and you are a classic case and MegRuns assertions that a someone getting knocked down maliciously in a triathlon is acceptable behavior that should be just shrugged off does make her a special kind of bitch in my book.

---

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]

Nick Mallett wrote:
Dev,I'm thinking that if the people involved didn't want it made public for reasons that were stated earlier then it should be laid to rest..If Richard and the guys at USAT who saw it and deemed the guys actions reprehensible and worthy of a DQ but still elected not to make it public then it should be laid to rest..If you aren't willing to be the one to make it public then I guess it is a little "too hot a potato" for you to want to be the one to make it public for ST amusement...Like Power13 said,the RD has made the call and that is all that really matters..Of course , many folks here are not really interested in the consequences of posting that video publicly,they just want some more entertainment.

-----

Consequences? I think 15+ pages of people tarnishing a guys character based off of a picture is bad enough. It wasn't until the the end that the RD decided to give his account. The damage was already done.

The best action would be to post the video and let people see the actual event.

Nick Mallett wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
MegRuns wrote:

------

Since we're talking about acceptable behavior though, tell me, do you think it is acceptable behavior to call people you've never met bitches and assholes?

Zing, zing. People get all rowdy on the interwebz when defending their moral high roads....

Good call.

---

Believe me there are plenty of assholes on ST and you are a classic case and MegRuns assertions that a someone getting knocked down maliciously in a triathlon is acceptable behavior that should be just shrugged off does make her a special kind of bitch in my book.

---

Ah, okay. I give up on logic and discussion.... this is totally worthless with someone who lacks basic reading comprehension. I'll just go make myself a T-shirt that says "Special Kind of Bitch" and wear it proudly.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

It won't change anything however because the main issue has nothing to do with who was in the right or wrong. The main issue is that the guy was so concerned with setting a personal best that he ignored common decency to save a few seconds. Even if the video showed he was technically right, that doesn't excuse his behaviour.

The posters here that support him are agreeing that when it comes to racing, the only thing that matters is crossing the finish line. Good sportsmanship means nothing if you can get a PB and a video will not change that mindset, everything can be justified.

I think the vast majority of people would be appalled at the guys lack of sportsmanship and others will feel he is justified as long as he sets a PB and is within the technical rules.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [MegRuns] [ In reply to ]

MegRuns wrote:
Nick Mallett wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
MegRuns wrote:

------

Good call.

---

---

Ah, okay. I give up on logic and discussion.... this is totally worthless with someone who lacks basic reading comprehension. I'll just go make myself a T-shirt that says "Special Kind of Bitch" and wear it proudly.

Meg, make sure you poat a pic, or better yet, post of video of you wearing it proudly. :)

needmoreair wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ummm....the debate IS over. The RD, the only guy whose opinion really matters, has settled it.

Maybe, but I'll take a video over any one person's word.

It'd still be interesting.

Sigh... Nobody owes anybody the damn video. If I were Dev, I'd never post it. There's simply no need to provide gratification; what purpose would it serve at this juncture? This is not a case to be decided in Trial By ST; the RD has made the decision, it's final, suck it up and move on. Unless you want to direct your own races and make those kinds of decisions, in which case you can demand all the video you want.

Quite frankly, I think we're very lucky in being afforded firsthand the opinion of the guy that did get to make the decision, and his reasoning behind the decision he made. That's a privilege, not a right, and to have the decision made by the official in charge questioned and challenged - and pretty aggressively, at that - by people on teh interwebz who don't have the benefit of all of the evidence (and quite rightly so) is extremely disrespectful in and of itself.

Nick Mallett wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
MegRuns wrote:

------

Good call.

---

---

Why am I a classic case?

Because I prefer seeing definitive evidence versus a blog and a picture before crucifying a guy ?

If that's the case, I sure hope I have a bunch of "classic cases of assholes" on a jury if I'm ever in court for a crime. And I bet you'd hope for that, too.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]

Yeah, what you said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce

Just for accuracy, according to dev, the RD passed the video on to him in the hopes it having it accessible and to post it online. So if the RD has willingly forwarded it to be posted, it seems he's atleast wanting it out there. But this is just from what dev has said and posted.

From post #324:
OK, Richard just sent me the video and asked me to post it so as the end the debates (or perhaps it will increase things). The problem is that i don't have a youtube account so if one of you guys who I personally know (as in, we met in person) sends me an email, I'll forward it to you to post on behalf of Richard.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 22, 13 20:49

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

oceanlife wrote:
Nick Mallett wrote:

Dev,I'm thinking that if the people involved didn't want it made public for reasons that were stated earlier then it should be laid to rest..If Richard and the guys at USAT who saw it and deemed the guys actions reprehensible and worthy of a DQ but still elected not to make it public then it should be laid to rest..If you aren't willing to be the one to make it public then I guess it is a little "too hot a potato" for you to want to be the one to make it public for ST amusement...Like Power13 said,the RD has made the call and that is all that really matters..Of course , many folks here are not really interested in the consequences of posting that video publicly,they just want some more entertainment.

-----

Consequences? I think 15+ pages of people tarnishing a guys character based off of a picture is bad enough. It wasn't until the the end that the RD decided to give his account. The damage was already done.

+1.

Perfectly put.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
Just for accuracy, according to dev, the RD passed the video on to him in the hopes it having it accessible and to post it online. So if the RD has willingly forwarded it to be posted, it seems he's atleast wanting it out there. But this is just from what dev has said and posted.

Yes, I did see that it was willingly given - but even so I personally don't see a good reason for making it public as fodder for the wolves, unless Richard Izzo wishes to justify his decision to the ST community. In my opinion he has no obligation to justify anything any further than the explanation he has already provided, and that was generous and thorough. I don't believe that posting the video will change the minds of those who are determinedly on either side of this argument, and also the original owner of the video removed it from their blog because they did not wish for it to go viral.

needmoreair wrote:
RRWJ wrote:
I can't believe no one ran out and tackled this guy or worse after hitting a woman.

Eye for an eye and blood for blood! Those that commit transgressions against a man's family or property should be taught a real lesson, and what better way to teach than with physical violence. Throw a baseball at my kid during a game and you better duck, little man, cause I'm bringing the heat from the stands. Ding my car door in the parking lot and I'm coming at yours with a bat (which is in the car in case it's needed at my kid's ball game). Perpetuate the cycle of violence with internet bravado!

To qoute you
"Why am I a classic case?

Because I prefer seeing definitive evidence versus a blog and a picture before crucifying a guy ?

If that's the case, I sure hope I have a bunch of "classic cases of assholes" on a jury if I'm ever in court for a crime. And I bet you'd hope for that, too. " close qoute

Well if we were going to crucify the guy, you are quite right. The burden of proof would be much higher. However since it is NOT a crime but an infraction that he was legally penalized for, and its opinion on his action and not a crime being crucified for, the proofs offered is quite high. Besides. Did people get convicted of crimes unfairly without technology? Their was eyewitness testimony. Video and pictures given to the ruling authorities that those authorities deemed appropriate.........Where is your outrage for convicted felons in prison that you di not see the video for?
As far as you would take critical thinking above chivalry. It appears for critical thinking.................wait for it..........you need more air in your brain

UK2ME wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ummm....the debate IS over. The RD, the only guy whose opinion really matters, has settled it.

Maybe, but I'll take a video over any one person's word.

It'd still be interesting.

Sigh... Nobody owes anybody the damn video. If I were Dev, I'd never post it. There's simply no need to provide gratification; what purpose would it serve at this juncture? This is not a case to be decided in Trial By ST; the RD has made the decision, it's final, suck it up and move on. Unless you want to direct your own races and make those kinds of decisions, in which case you can demand all the video you want.

Quite frankly, I think we're very lucky in being afforded firsthand the opinion of the guy that did get to make the decision, and his reasoning behind the decision he made. That's a privilege, not a right, and to have the decision made by the official in charge questioned and challenged - and pretty aggressively, at that - by people on teh interwebz who don't have the benefit of all of the evidence (and quite rightly so) is extremely disrespectful in and of itself.

Where did anyone say they did?

I don't get this "appeal to authority" rap you're throwing out. Who are you? Why on Earth does what you say matter in the least? Suck it up and move on? Really? Pretty humorous post, this one. A bit out of left field, too. If you don't like this thread, then don't come in and read it.

But get off your little pedestal and quit with the pedantic diatribes telling other people what they should or shouldn't do or what they're lucky to have.

If you want to go off on a "disrespectful" binge, then target the blogger who instigated this entire mess or the posters who jumped on the bandwagon with little to no credible evidence.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

Kenney wrote:

Well if we were going to crucify the guy, you are quite right. The burden of proof would be much higher. However since it is NOT a crime but an infraction that he was legally penalized for, and its opinion on his action and not a crime being crucified for, the proofs offered is quite high. Besides. Did people get convicted of crimes unfairly without technology? Their was eyewitness testimony. Video and pictures given to the ruling authorities that those authorities deemed appropriate.........Where is your outrage for convicted felons in prison that you di not see the video for?
As far as you would take critical thinking above chivalry. It appears for critical thinking.................wait for it..........you need more air in your brain

I tried to take this post seriously and was creating a response as I read alone, but there was so much ignorance and blatant stupidity involved that I lost track of the pertinent points and instead just kind of zoned out.

Sorry about that. If you can take a few minutes and write in a more coherent manner and give me some reason to think that you aren't actually a high school dropout I'll be sure and address any salient points you might have.

Thanks for your consideration.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]

re-fresh wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
RRWJ wrote:

Eye for an eye and blood for blood! Those that commit transgressions against a man's family or property should be taught a real lesson, and what better way to teach than with physical violence. Throw a baseball at my kid during a game and you better duck, little man, cause I'm bringing the heat from the stands. Ding my car door in the parking lot and I'm coming at yours with a bat (which is in the car in case it's needed at my kid's ball game). Perpetuate the cycle of violence with internet bravado!

Chapeau!

I was just making the point that the RD does want to get the video out in public for whatever reason (assume to show just how the athlete acted and it "justifying" his decision...the smoking gun if you would). I agree he has no obligation, but if he's making the decision to forward it around, then it's only fair to say for whatever reason he wants it out there.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 22, 13 21:13

UK2ME wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

Yes, I did see that it was willingly given - but even so I personally don't see a good reason for making it public as fodder for the wolves, unless Richard Izzo wishes to justify his decision to the ST community. In my opinion he has no obligation to justify anything any further than the explanation he has already provided, and that was generous and thorough. I don't believe that posting the video will change the minds of those who are determinedly on either side of this argument, and also the original owner of the video removed it from their blog because they did not wish for it to go viral.

Then again, quit railing about it in this thread and contact the blogger directly as it was said blog that made this thing go "viral" in the endurance community.

You want to dole out demerits for disrespect? Then go to the source.

Who am I? Oh, just another ST'er. Certainly nobody whose opinion you are obliged to care about - but this is, after all, a public forum and I do have as much right as you do to express my thoughts.

You are implying that you are owed the video because essentially you don't trust or believe that the RD has made the right decision in DQ'ing this guy. In this sport, you have two choices: play by the rules of the RD and hope that the RD is solid, or don't participate. Whether the woman was right or wrong, whether the dude really punched her or hit her or put his hand up as a defensive mechanism, it doesn't matter at this point. The RD has spoken - and has provided you his reasoning for the decision he made. You seeing the video is not going to make the blindest bit of difference to the outcome. So yes, suck it up and move on, and show some respect for the RD's who put their rear ends on the line to make races happen for you.

I haven't actually made a decision on how I feel about the original case, so I'm neither on your side nor against it. You'll note that I have not joined in with the "OMG he hit a GRRL!" discussion; I'm merely discussing the demands surrounding the posting of the video. I do think it's entertaining that you appear to have found the list of rhetological fallacies that has been doing the rounds on Facebook recently and now you're hot to point out any perceived poorly-conceived argument you think you can find - I have my suspicions why, but I have some class and don't get my thrills out of bashing internet strangers. I find your name-calling and disrespect for, well, everyone to be distasteful and tacky, and I have no need to resort to the same just to provide you with entertainment.

I'm also on the east coast where it's getting late and I have to go to work in the morning, so have a wonderful evening!
Last edited by: UK2ME: Sep 22, 13 21:22

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

here here, best comment on on the thread.

UK2ME wrote:
Who am I? Oh, just another ST'er. Certainly nobody whose opinion you are obliged to care about - but this is, after all, a public forum and I do have as much right as you do to express my thoughts.

You are implying that you are owed the video because essentially you don't trust or believe that the RD has made the right decision in DQ'ing this guy. In this sport, you have two choices: play by the rules of the RD and hope that the RD is solid, or don't participate. Whether the woman was right or wrong, whether the dude really punched her or hit her or put his hand up as a defensive mechanism, it doesn't matter at this point. The RD has spoken - and has provided you his reasoning for the decision he made. You seeing the video is not going to make the blindest bit of difference to the outcome. So yes, suck it up and move on, and show some respect for the RD's who put their rear ends on the line to make races happen for you.

I haven't actually made a decision on how I feel about the original case, so I'm neither on your side nor against it. You'll note that I have not joined in with the "OMG he hit a GRRL!" discussion; I'm merely discussing the demands surrounding the posting of the video. I do think it's entertaining that you appear to have found the list of rhetological fallacies that has been doing the rounds on Facebook recently and now you're hot to point out any perceived poorly-conceived argument you think you can find - I have my suspicions why, but I have some class and don't get my thrills out of bashing internet strangers. I find your name-calling and disrespect for, well, everyone to be distasteful and tacky, and I have no need to resort to the same just to provide you with entertainment.

I'm also on the east coast where it's getting late and I have to go to work in the morning, so have a wonderful evening!

Thanks, but I'm not on the East Coast and it's the middle of the day. But I'll have a wonderful afternoon and you have a wonderful whichever as well.

Back to the point; I'm not implying a thing in the least. The decision of the RD has nothing to do with it. As I have painstakingly repeated ad nauseum, my only issue with this entire thread/incident is the ensuing witchhunt created by a blogger and the bandwagon that so many jumped on without evidence. You're not on my side? Do you even know what my side is? Maybe you do, but I'm wondering... And if we go by the petty name-calling on the last few pages it's obvious there are a number of posters on this thread have no idea what my side is despite me spelling it out multiple times in multiple places. I have never, ever condoned any violence or malicious behavior and if you were bothered to look through this thread you could see that for yourself.

You're discussing demand for the video, I'm discussing the relentless attacks on this guy sans video. Maybe the video will prove these attacks were warranted, but the fact that they happened to such an extent prior to said video is primarily the part I have an issue with. Nothing the RD has done or said makes any sort of difference whatsoever to said issue. So no, I won't just "suck it up and move along" because it has nothing to do with anything. And my expressing interest in the video has nothing to do with respect or disrespect in any way whatsoever.

I've found a list of... what? Where? And I do what?

I didn't bring up fallacies and debating protocols. Someone else did. If you're going to continue to respond to my posts please do so in an informed manner. Just making up assertions shows a lack of class and is distasteful and tacky. Since you seem concerned with those things...

And I haven't called any posters in this thread a name. Read through my posts. You'll note that any name-calling in my post has been made by the person I'm replying to. Like I said, please respond to my posts in an informed manner and don't make things up. It's terribly distasteful.

Edit: I did suggest a poster was a high-school dropout. Ugh. My mistake.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Sep 22, 13 22:16

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

devashish_paul wrote:
I wish Richard would just post it on youtube, but he forwarded to me and asked me to. I don't have an account and would like someone that I personally know to post it (I don't want to just forward it to anonymous folks that I don't know). Well if nothing else Richard and I made a pact to push each other hard (as in running hard not a physical battle) at our next race together.

I hope someone that we all know can come forward and offer to post it.

This is ridiculous.

Do you mean to tell me that two grown adults, one of whom apparently organizes complex public events on a routine basis, are collectively unable to upload a video to YouTube? Guy, children in developing countries can do this. I know you can, too.

Pay attention: If you have a Gmail account, you have a YouTube account. If you don't have a Gmail account, get one. Done? Good. Now you have a YouTube account. Upload video.

This process should take you less time than it took me to write this post.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NorthernExpress] [ In reply to ]

I just hope the guy behind her didn't want a finisher pic:

http://www.backprint.com/...mp;PWD=0&BIB=735

Prev Next