Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]

motoguy128 wrote:
I still have only see visual evidence of a collision, not a "punch" or someone actively "hitting" another person. I'm seeing poor judgement by 2 individuals. One clearly very fatigued at the end of the race and another not paying much attention after a long but relatively leisurely swim and ride based on her descriptions.

How's that for a summary?

So we're saying here that he should have somehow came to a stop, jumped over her, swerved into... potentially... on coming runner on the other side of the roadway, or . I'm not saying this dude is a really nice guy, but he was thrown into a very bad situation that he didn't create and made some attempt to avoid by moving all the way across the lane.

Until there's a video, not much else can be concluded.

Nobody thinks this guy had a right be be a little upset that he was disqualified because another competitor stepped in front of him and blocked his way?

Sounds like a good summary of the event.

Doesn't take into account the blog and the woman's account later on, which I think is the real issue and the driving force behind this entire episode.

This guy should 100% be upset he was DQed. If nothing else, he should push for her DQ as well. She should be upset for getting knocked down if she wants. That's never fun either.

Until there's definitive proof of malice, I 100% believe this incident should have never left the course. No DQs for the man, no DQs for the woman. Next time don't walk backwards onto race courses.

In the event there is definitive proof of malice, then let the governing bodies have their way. But no one who has seen nothing but a picture and bought into some rhetoric can say with any conviction whatsoever that malice did take place. Such an assumption is merely the result of blindly buying into some viral "marketing". And as I keep repeating, THAT is the real issue.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]

I'm not passing judgement on what happened since all I can see is a picture. I've also pushed people out of my way but never violently. Usually it is when there are walkers blocking the path and not staying right. I can yell excuse me a dozen times but when they are wearing headphones they can't hear me. At that point, I move them out of my way by putting my hand on their arm and gently pushing. I also slow way down. Once they feel me they usually react quickly and move themselves. I have no other choice. I can just as easily get hurt by running into someone as they can.

People lack self awareness and it drives me nuts. But from one picture I have no idea whether his reaction is over the top or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]

JenSw wrote:
I'm not passing judgement on what happened since all I can see is a picture. I've also pushed people out of my way but never violently. Usually it is when there are walkers blocking the path and not staying right. I can yell excuse me a dozen times but when they are wearing headphones they can't hear me. At that point, I move them out of my way by putting my hand on their arm and gently pushing. I also slow way down. Once they feel me they usually react quickly and move themselves. I have no other choice. I can just as easily get hurt by running into someone as they can.

People lack self awareness and it drives me nuts. But from one picture I have no idea whether his reaction is over the top or not.

I finally opened the thread and in that picture I seem to see a guy who is off balance falling slightly to his left grimacing after a collision and a woman who seems to have walked backwards surprised from some sort of a collission. Impossible to tell if there was a punch involved in the collision, a shove or just two bodies hitting each other and the guy's arm's swinging around to stay on balance. But after 252 posts are there no videos? It seems impossible to know what happened without a video and how the heck did USAT DQ this guy for this if they were not actually there? That would be like DQing a guy being paced by a gorilla without even seeing the gorilla. Was there a USAT guy there to witness what happened in real time (not by looking at this photo that does not say much and not from he said she said)? My first reaction looking at this is that the guy shoved the woman out of the way, given that his shoulders are rotated relative to his hips, but it could just be a result of his direction getting dislodged after colliding with a woman backing into his path...so who has the video? I don't see grounds for a DQ without a USAT official right there (just like you can't give a drafting penalty unless the official was there), or a video.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

I would think if he was off balance, he would either be looking down to see where he might be falling or looking towards what caused him to become off balance. Instead he is looking forward towards the finish line. Still pictures do not always do justice to the actual situation but this one looks pure bad.

Fair point Jen. Doesn't do the sport any credit.

Look, none of us know what happened. You can't reach a reliable conclusion based on a photo and unsubstantiated conclusions/attributions on a thread. It's not fair to anyone to charge, judge, and sentence either party on the basis of the musings on the internet.

This much (I hope) we can all agree on. There is no excuse for intentionally punching anyone on the course. I don't give a rat's ass if you're a sub 9 finisher or a 17 hour finisher. Unfortunately there are always a few assholes who think that they're athletic superiority warrants this sort of behaviour. Sorry misanthropes. You're wrong. Take a year off. Then, and only then, if you grow up you should reenter the sport.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [AJHull] [ In reply to ]

AJHull wrote:
I would think if he was off balance, he would either be looking down to see where he might be falling or looking towards what caused him to become off balance. Instead he is looking forward towards the finish line. Still pictures do not always do justice to the actual situation but this one looks pure bad.

Adrian, that was my first reaction seeing the picture (that the guy must be guilty)....but I can't know from the still picture. Unless there is a video or an official onsite at the moment, there is no grounds for a DQ as bad as the thing looks.....just like you can't DQ someone for drafting off a still picture.

No smart alek has yet brought up the Rashomon Effect? This thread is a perfect example.

I agree with your point on no evidence to DQ. I am simply saying that picture looks really bad for him.

Still waiting for the video......

Last edited by: Toby Tri: Sep 21, 13 20:49

devashish_paul wrote:
AJHull wrote:

Adrian, that was my first reaction seeing the picture (that the guy must be guilty)....but I can't know from the still picture. Unless there is a video or an official onsite at the moment, there is no grounds for a DQ as bad as the thing looks.....just like you can't DQ someone for drafting off a still picture.
Agreed the pic is by no means evidence enough for a DQ. Which given there has been multiple mention of a video would make me think that the RD saw it before he DQ'd the 10th OA finisher. Well I think he was 10th I can't be bothered to go reread this to verify. This is the 6th year of the race and it's pretty well regarded in the area so I don't think the RD is gonna DQ somebody on someone's say so.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I still have only see visual evidence of a collision, not a "punch" or someone actively "hitting" another person. I'm seeing poor judgement by 2 individuals. One clearly very fatigued at the end of the race and another not paying much attention after a long but relatively leisurely swim and ride based on her descriptions.

So we're saying here that he should have somehow came to a stop, jumped over her, swerved into... potentially... on coming runner on the other side of the roadway, or . I'm not saying this dude is a really nice guy, but he was thrown into a very bad situation that he didn't create and made some attempt to avoid by moving all the way across the lane.

Nobody thinks this guy had a right be be a little upset that he was disqualified because another competitor stepped in front of him and blocked his way?

Doesn't take into account the blog and the woman's account later on, which I think is the real issue and the driving force behind this entire episode.

This guy should 100% be upset he was DQed. If nothing else, he should push for her DQ as well. She should be upset for getting knocked down if she wants. That's never fun either.

Until there's definitive proof of malice, I 100% believe this incident should have never left the course. No DQs for the man, no DQs for the woman. Next time don't walk backwards onto race courses.

In the event there is definitive proof of malice, then let the governing bodies have their way. But no one who has seen nothing but a picture and bought into some rhetoric can say with any conviction whatsoever that malice did take place. Such an assumption is merely the result of blindly buying into some viral "marketing". And as I keep repeating, THAT is the real issue.

YES, THIS^ ... a reasonable opinion!

I'm a female runner (yes, a visitor from the dreaded Letsrun.com) so, I realize that I'm an outsider to triathlon and to this forum, but having skimmed through both this thread and the one on Letsrun.com, I'm honestly kind of surprised at the amount of vitriol on this forum directed towards the guy in this incident.

Yes, I can agree that in the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't have killed the guy to slow down drastically or do whatever he had to do to completely avoid this woman - but, really, are this many of you so "relaxed" about racing that if it were your PR on the line, you wouldn't have made a similar decision/error in that moment?Why is there so much sympathy for a woman who is 1) chatting with spectators during a race(!) the clock is ticking, isn't it??? 2) obliviously in someone's way who is actually racing, ie. cares about finish time/place 3) cries about being knocked down.

Do we really live in a world now where it is "narcissistic" to participate in athletic endeavors and care a lot about your performance? What happened to dedication, passion and hard work to push your limits, regardless of your level of talent? Do we not respect "giving a crap" anymore? I think it's sort of douchey to imply that because he was only going 7:30 pace, this somehow makes it "less okay" for him to care about his results. Conversely, if he had been the overall race winner, it wouldn't have made the fact that he ran into the woman any better or worse. He's just some guy (slower than some of you, faster than others) who really really wanted to do well in this race, and made a somewhat poor decision as a result. It's not as if the guy was doing EPO... evidence for the fact that he intentionally hurt this woman is circumstantial, AT BEST.

I sort of wonder if people's reactions to this incident reflect the fact that we are becoming, not the "slowest" generation (per WSJ article), but just the weakest generation. There's the prevailing mindset now that people participate in races to feel good about themselves, that we can only be bothered to complete marathons if it's "for cancer" or "to be inspiring". Hey, if you get tired, take a walking break, it's cool! How dare bad things happen, like collisions, falls or bike crashes. Those things happen all of the time to elites and sub-elites, and even though those people may depend on the sport for their well-being, they actually do NOT cry and freak out and assess blame. They get up and finish the race, why can't we do the same?

The world is a tough place. For people who think that getting knocked down (in a race where you clearly didn't care all that much about your finish time, and in an incident that was partially your own fault) is SUCH a moral outrage, how do you make it through the day???

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [MegRuns] [ In reply to ]

MegRuns wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

YES, THIS^ ... a reasonable opinion!

I'm a female runner (yes, a visitor from the dreaded Letsrun.com) so, I realize that I'm an outsider to triathlon and to this forum, but having skimmed through both this thread and the one on Letsrun.com, I'm honestly kind of surprised at the amount of vitriol on this forum directed towards the guy in this incident.

Yes, I can agree that in the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't have killed the guy to slow down drastically or do whatever he had to do to completely avoid this woman - but, really, are this many of you so "relaxed" about racing that if it were your PR on the line, you wouldn't have made a similar decision/error in that moment?Why is there so much sympathy for a woman who is 1) chatting with spectators during a race(!) the clock is ticking, isn't it??? 2) obliviously in someone's way who is actually racing, ie. cares about finish time/place 3) cries about being knocked down.

Do we really live in a world now where it is "narcissistic" to participate in athletic endeavors and care a lot about your performance? What happened to dedication, passion and hard work to push your limits, regardless of your level of talent? Do we not respect "giving a crap" anymore? I think it's sort of douchey to imply that because he was only going 7:30 pace, this somehow makes it "less okay" for him to care about his results. Conversely, if he had been the overall race winner, it wouldn't have made the fact that he ran into the woman any better or worse. He's just some guy (slower than some of you, faster than others) who really really wanted to do well in this race, and made a somewhat poor decision as a result. It's not as if the guy was doing EPO... evidence for the fact that he intentionally hurt this woman is circumstantial, AT BEST.

I sort of wonder if people's reactions to this incident reflect the fact that we are becoming, not the "slowest" generation (per WSJ article), but just the weakest generation. There's the prevailing mindset now that people participate in races to feel good about themselves, that we can only be bothered to complete marathons if it's "for cancer" or "to be inspiring". Hey, if you get tired, take a walking break, it's cool! How dare bad things happen, like collisions, falls or bike crashes. Those things happen all of the time to elites and sub-elites, and even though those people may depend on the sport for their well-being, they actually do NOT cry and freak out and assess blame. They get up and finish the race, why can't we do the same?

The world is a tough place. For people who think that getting knocked down (in a race where you clearly didn't care all that much about your finish time, and in an incident that was partially your own fault) is SUCH a moral outrage, how do you make it through the day???

-----

So you think it is okay to just push people out of the way or knock them down during races? Aren't you a special kind of bitch!

----

Do we really live in a world now where it is "narcissistic" to participate in athletic endeavors and care a lot about your performance?

No but we do seem to live in a world where it is becoming acceptable to knock people out of the way so you can save 2 seconds on a PB without having the courtesy to stop and make sure someone is okay. There are great athletes who care about their performance without having to be so self-obsessed.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
Do we really live in a world now where it is "narcissistic" to participate in athletic endeavors and care a lot about your performance?

No but we do seem to live in a world where it is becoming acceptable to knock people out of the way so you can save 2 seconds on a PB without having the courtesy to stop and make sure someone is okay. There are great athletes who care about their performance without having to be so self-obsessed.

----

Hey Sanuk,I'm wondering if spending a few months in peaceful Thailand will make me as diplomatic as you?Stranger things have happened..;-)

MInd you,if this had happened in a race in Thailand,for a few thousand Baht the finish chute lady's problems could have just been dealt with without all this fuss...

----
Last edited by: Nick Mallett: Sep 21, 13 22:23

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]

Hey Sanuk,I'm wondering if spending a few months in peaceful Thailand will make me as diplomatic as you?Stranger things have happened..;-)

I'm hoping the diplomatic attitude sticks, I'm leaving Thailand on December 1st to continue my bike tour. We'll see how long the diplomacy lasts when someone tries to run me off the road...

Nick Mallett wrote:
----

MInd you,if this had happened in a race in Thailand,for a few thousand Baht the finish chute lady's problems could have just been dealt with without all this fuss...

----

Thailand blows. One of the most unfriendly places I've ever been. Also the only place where I've had a guy blatantly try to rip me off to my face and then pull out a knife when I objected. Most jaded populace I've encountered the world over.

If you're after peace, you do far better.

needmoreair wrote:
Nick Mallett wrote:

----

----

Thailand blows. One of the most unfriendly places I've ever been. Also the only place where I've had a guy blatantly try to rip me off to my face and then pull out a knife when I objected. Most jaded populace I've encountered the world over.

-----

Mate you want to try living in Surfers Paradise,what a shithole and as far as being held at knife point of gun point I think both Australia and the US are just as bad,if not worse....I love Thailand,but then again some people react differently to places than others..I can't wait to get back over there for a while.

---

Nick Mallett wrote:

-----

Mate you want to try living in Surfers Paradise,what a shithole and as far as being held at knife point of gun point I think both Australia and the US are just as bad,if not worse....I love Thailand,but then again some people react differently to places than others..I can't wait to get back over there for a while.

---[/quote]
Never been to Australia, but never had a knife or gun pulled on me in the US, either. But I'm the last person to argue for America.

I don't know if I react that differently. I've been all over Asia multiple times and Thailand twice for about a month total. Both times I was just blown away by how much everyone sucked. Especially comparing to Cambodia or the Philippines. But yeah, everyone's different. ^^

I live in Thailand and think you would be better off not making sweeping generalizations about an entire country based on a few bad experiences.

Sanuk wrote:

I live in Thailand and think you would be better off not making sweeping generalizations about an entire country based on a few bad experiences.

I think I'll make a sweeping generalization if I want to based on my experiences and I'll share that wherever I deem it pertinent.

I recognize others have different experiences but mine are mine and my opinions are based off that. And in my extensive traveling experience I've met a number of travelers who feel the same way, so it's not as if it's a one-off thing.

You can come to Korea or America and share your opinions of it as much as you like. I'll take no offense to that because I know that some have great experiences and some don't.

I think I'll make a sweeping generalization if I want to based on my experiences and I'll share that wherever I deem it pertinent.

I'm not really sure how your personal opinions on Thailand are pertinent to this thread but you are entitled to your opinion.

I agree to a large extent.

Judging from the picture and blogs the woman was clearly in the wrong place.

The guy was likely RACING and to me it doesn't matter if there are podium Kona slots or t4 on the line, it is fair that the guy is racing. That probably means his mind is very focused, he is anxious, he is tired etc.

- Could he have avoided contact? Yes worst case he could have tried to stop although it might be difficult

- Can we expect him to completely avoid contact? I don't think so given he is racing (and there might even be other participants coming towards him we cannot see that)

- Is it reasonable that he tries to make the contact light? Yes

To me the big question is what sort of contact he made.
- did he push her unreasonably hard or even hit her? Then he is a douche and poor sportsman and dq is fair

- did he try to minimize impact and it was a light push or even just a brazing from the impact?

No way I can tell from that picture but to me there is no way he is to blame by default. The starting point is that Wonder Woman is in the freaking wrong place and doing things she should not and until further evidence has been presented she is to me more guilty than the guy

Sanuk wrote:

I'm not really sure how your personal opinions on Thailand are pertinent to this thread but you are entitled to your opinion.

They aren't pertinent to this thread. They were pertinent to the post I replied to.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]

andreasjs wrote:
No way I can tell from that picture but to me there is no way he is to blame by default. The starting point is that Wonder Woman is in the freaking wrong place and doing things she should not and until further evidence has been presented she is to me more guilty than the guy

Excellent post.

This thread has taken a turn for the better over the last few pages.

Prev Next