Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]

I believe I found the second picture from this incident.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]

wbattaile wrote:

------

Now a bit of "Slap and Tickle" between two guys in lycra is a completely different thing..

----

wbattaile wrote:

You mean you found a picture of someone who actually knows how to ride a bike?
Last edited by: Cpt. Mandrake: Sep 20, 13 22:38

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]

kblahetka wrote:
"Normal people" mean non competitive?

I do a sprint every june that's local to me. It attracts some speedy locals as well as the newbie crowd. I understand that for many just making it to the finish line is the victory and that wearing a pricess crown or pink cape may be part of the day. Whatever floats your boat, what I don't understand is why that particular group of people can't understand is that for others, its a race. I'm never near the podium but every year I want to improve on my last years performance. I've trained, I know its going to hurt, and I'm ready to take it on. If you want to have a spandex and sweaty party there's nothing wrong with that but you need to watch the hell out because YOUR good time is fucking with SOMEONE ELSE's good time. Dismissing that is pretty narcissistic.

Also, the chick is pretty hot, so there's that. Bam, you got hit and objectified. Welcome to triathlon.

The best summation. Ever. Well played. I'll be laughing all day at that.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]

Also, the chick is pretty hot, so there's that. Bam, you got hit and objectified. Welcome to triathlon.[/quote] The chick was certainly a milf for sure, BUT, she got in the way, just farting around doing non-sensesical crap by the finish line. When your race is over, don't walk back down the finish line. All you guys shouldn't act all tough and shit toward the guy, maybe give your chick a stern talking to about what not to do by the finish line.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [JimR] [ In reply to ]

I got the impression that she was just starting her run and was clowning around.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

guppie58 wrote:
Is there any man here that if they saw this happen to their mom, sister, wife, daughter or girlfriend, wouldn't have gone after the guy (after confirming she was okay)?

I'm not sure I'd have allowed this to happen in the first place. If it were the Wife, I'd be looking both ways and making sure she is safe, especially when she's blindly meandering into traffic.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

her husband didn't beat the tar out of that guy?! pussy.

-Jason

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]

jasondubose wrote:
her husband didn't beat the tar out of that guy?! pussy.

That was my first thought. If it was really that ba and he was standing right there when it happened, he had a duty as a husband to do something about it.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

listen the first time...yo , on the left means get the hell out da way... right ?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]

I'm finding this discussion absolutely terrifying and fascinating.

The general issue presented here is a question of fairness, equality and morality, and it has been placed (by you posters) in the loose context of gender; i.e. if a woman is wrongfully in the way of a man racing, and there is a collision, who is at fault?

The responses have largely fallen into two extreme categories: 1) a man should never hit a woman, period, because you know, chivalry. and 2) she was in the wrong, stupid, cheating (the watch thing), self-victimizing bitch.

The absence of thoughtful, middle-ground, balanced reactions was very apparent to me. (Granted, I didn't read them all).

On the OTHER side, over in the women's forum, there are two posts of men coming over here to ask personal questions like "do you care if your husband goes to Vegas" and "would you date someone shorter than you." While these posts perhaps belong in the lavender room, because they have nothing to do with triathlon, I was struck by the *mostly* thoughtful, insightful and genuine responses. I know you know what would happen if those posts were posted in the lavender room.

It's really interesting to me that the women's forum is a space that men can come over to ask personal questions about their relationships and are met with honesty and insight, but posting a question of morality and fairness around a gender issue in the triathlon forum (which is 95% a men's forum) is met with inflammatory, accusatory responses and positions that are extremely harsh, crude (the milf comment comes to mind), and severely shaming.

wbattaile wrote:

Oh. My. God. Must be the post of the year.

Now...on the issue at hand. Fact 1: she was doing something she shouldn't have been. She said so. Fact 2: He, for some reason, chose to push / hit her, and not stop.

Now for the craptastical supporting factuals:
- TriDevilDog decided that giving a forearm shiver was a great idea to PR.
- Clempson excused it away with 'he was going for a PR'
- Numerous posters said 'he didn't have time to react, supported by crappy math.
- The chivalrous crowd thought he should have been opening the door for her while avoiding her.

All crap. They were both doing something dangerous; he running at breakneck speed to PR (Don't tell me he couldn't slow down or avoid her; the whole math bit where he has less than 2/3 second to react is crap; you can see stuff a couple seconds ahead at all times; humans backing up just don't go that fast - plus, if he's either got tunnelvision or can't react to something 50, 30, 20, even 10 yards ahead, I don't know how he'd ever make it through a training ride, the bike leg, etc.). She was backing up; her family didn't say 'watch out'; he didn't bellow as loud as possible 'on your left', which gets attention.

By all accounts. I'll do what the courts would do: 70% his fault, not for running into her, but for the way he did. 30% her for backing up. And on the damages, 100% him for not stopping. There's really no excuse.

Divvy up the fines!

------------------

- I do all my own stunts

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [pigpen73] [ In reply to ]

If you're running at 6 minute pace (10mph) you are covering 12-15 feet every two steps. If she suddenly backed into his path while performing her dance routine on the course, he didn't have time to do anything but slam into her. And the only thing most people have time to do before slamming into something at that speed is put their hands up to cushion the blow with their arms and elbows. This thread is completely worthless without video.

If she really did finish and then went back onto the course, against traffic, with a stroller, she should be DQ'ed as well.

Douchebag collides with idiot, hilarity ensues. This makes me dream of a new sport. "Roller Derby Triathlon." Just think of the entertainment value!

wbattaile wrote:

Genius man. You win a fair share of internets.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]

Rick in the D wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

Now...on the issue at hand. Fact 1: she was doing something she shouldn't have been. She said so. Fact 2: He, for some reason, chose to push / hit her, and not stop.

- Numerous posters said 'he didn't have time to react, supported by crappy math.
- The chivalrous crowd thought he should have been opening the door for her while avoiding her.

All crap. They were both doing something dangerous; he running at breakneck speed to PR (Don't tell me he couldn't slow down or avoid her; the whole math bit where he has less than 2/3 second to react is crap; you can see stuff a couple seconds ahead at all times; humans backing up just don't go that fast - plus, if he's either got tunnelvision or can't react to something 50, 30, 20, even 10 yards ahead, I don't know how he'd ever make it through a training ride, the bike leg, etc.). She was backing up; her family didn't say 'watch out'; he didn't bellow as loud as possible 'on your left', which gets attention.

By all accounts. I'll do what the courts would do: 70% his fault, not for running into her, but for the way he did. 30% her for backing up. And on the damages, 100% him for not stopping. There's really no excuse.

Divvy up the fines!

Problem is, you don't know how far he could see ahead (there could have been other obstructions that had his attention shortly before impact) and how quickly she stepped back. He could have been aiming to miss her by a good margin, yet she might have quickly and without warning taken a couple of steps back. And did he hit her, or was there an mishap in trying to fend off/avoid torso/head contact? We simply don't know, so no need for speculate on a court judgement yet.

If running at breakneck speed to PR is dangerous, then we might as well ban most triathlons. An alternative would be two differnet kinds of triathlons: one for competitors and one for the posers.

WHERE IS THAT VIDEO?

my math is always crappy so I don't use it as a support for anything. I think the biggest thing that struck me about the entire ordeal as she claimed most normal people are moon walking to their families during a race. I suppose a guy going balls to the wall didn't have his wits about him, couldn't respond or just responded poorly. Or maybe he just wanted to hit her, OR maybe, just maybe this is what had to be done so he could make the next leap, the leap that would finally take him home.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [npda] [ In reply to ]

If I had the energy I'd post a bunch of these responses to the thread that talked about how welcoming triathlon is to women, particularly the ones that talk about her looks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

needmoreair wrote:
SethB wrote:

If that was my wife wife or daughter, barring an apology, I would have had a conversation with him and then helped put him in the ambulance. Right, wrong or indifferent you live with the consequences of your actions and you get what you get.

Some people keep writing things like the above like they're supposed to impress upon us the virtues of the ideal modern-day man and how righteous and virtuous you are.

Are you writing that stuff to reaffirm your inherent belief in yourself, or are you just trying for the virtual equivalent of a high-flying, manly bromance chest bump?

I don't get it.

I was one of these. My post was saying if someone intentionally did my wife harm, it would be my duty to repay the favor. She wouldn't be able to defend herself against a guy that size, so I guess the answer to your question is neither. I'm saying that because it is true. Whether iw old be successful in that endeavor is another story.

When I posted my comment I was trying to point to the fact that he witnessed it and did nothing, which tells me it didn't happen the way his wife and this other fella are saying it did. Which is evidenced by the fact they won't post this "incriminating" video and that the woman is saying she wants USAT to let it go, which they would do anyway if the guy wasn't at fault.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Chewie] [ In reply to ]

Chewie wrote:
Rick in the D wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

Divvy up the fines!

If running at breakneck speed to PR is dangerous, then we might as well ban most triathlons. An alternative would be two differnet kinds of triathlons: one for competitors and one for the posers.

Exactly.

You've made the point I wanted to make, but probably better than I could have: just because you're in a race doesn't mean it's going to be a perfect course, with perfect traffic control, with perfect corner sweeping, perfect obstacle marking, with perfect other participants, etc. It's the athlete's responsibility to be in control, period, to deal with what might come up - whether to avoid a car, person, athlete, pothole, traffic furniture, pick your danger. And moreover, not to create that danger.

My issue is, succinctly put, this: I think he could have changed course, if not to avoid her, perhaps to lessen the blow. Everyone does this everyday - and if he was so focused on the finish line he couldn't / wouldn't adjust, he was a hazard. He chose not to. Doesn't absolve her, of course, of not doing things the way they should have been.

Don't ban the triathlon. Don't ban the race. For 99% of the participants this situation never comes up. But leave it to the athletes to be responsible.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]

I still have only see visual evidence of a collision, not a "punch" or someone actively "hitting" another person. I'm seeing poor judgement by 2 individuals. One clearly very fatigued at the end of the race and another not paying much attention after a long but relatively leisurely swim and ride based on her descriptions.

How's that for a summary?

So we're saying here that he should have somehow came to a stop, jumped over her, swerved into... potentially... on coming runner on the other side of the roadway, or . I'm not saying this dude is a really nice guy, but he was thrown into a very bad situation that he didn't create and made some attempt to avoid by moving all the way across the lane.

Until there's a video, not much else can be concluded.

Nobody thinks this guy had a right be be a little upset that he was disqualified because another competitor stepped in front of him and blocked his way?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]

ndrfnnut wrote:
kblahetka wrote:
"Normal people" mean non competitive?

I do a sprint every june that's local to me. It attracts some speedy locals as well as the newbie crowd. I understand that for many just making it to the finish line is the victory and that wearing a pricess crown or pink cape may be part of the day. Whatever floats your boat, what I don't understand is why that particular group of people can't understand is that for others, its a race. I'm never near the podium but every year I want to improve on my last years performance. I've trained, I know its going to hurt, and I'm ready to take it on. If you want to have a spandex and sweaty party there's nothing wrong with that but you need to watch the hell out because YOUR good time is fucking with SOMEONE ELSE's good time. Dismissing that is pretty narcissistic.

Also, the chick is pretty hot, so there's that. Bam, you got hit and objectified. Welcome to triathlon.

The best summation. Ever. Well played. I'll be laughing all day at that.

Agreed with everything you say, but the people you're talking about would have no idea how seriously some take this sport. I didn't understand some of the racing etiquette before I came on ST.

And the finale to your post is phenomenal.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]

That's an interesting take, but I see a problem. The fucker was running at an average pace of over 7'30" per mile...hardly a pace where he could not react to elements around him. If he indeed swatted or punched her, he should count himself lucky that it was not to the spouse of someone that would kick the crap out of him.

A video would be much better than a picture. A picture can be misleading. I thought someone said this was caught on video???

Last edited by: AJHull: Sep 21, 13 13:19

From reading on a different forum it appears the guy did just that. He was running on the right side of the road next to the shoulder. The lady crossed the road to get her watch from her husband who was on the shoulder spectating. The guy started angling towards the center of the road because the lady was stopped in his current path for the exchange. She started walking\running backwards for photo ops and he was still angling to the centerline and could go no further left because there was a group of runners occupying the right from the shoulder to the centerline. You don't see those people in the still frame. Apparently this is the account from someone that has seen the video.

The guy had nowhere to go. He should have stopped and asked if she was okay and didn't. For that he's an asshat. The lady went and blogged about the incident and didn't want anything to happen to the guy when the governing bodies contacted her because she felt he didn't indent on hitting her and that she backed into him.

Rick in the D wrote:

My issue is, succinctly put, this: I think he could have changed course, if not to avoid her, perhaps to lessen the blow. Everyone does this everyday - and if he was so focused on the finish line he couldn't / wouldn't adjust, he was a hazard. He chose not to. Doesn't absolve her, of course, of not doing things the way they should have been.
Quote:
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Sep 21, 13 13:37

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [AJHull] [ In reply to ]

AJHull wrote:
That's an interesting take, but I see a problem. The fucker was running at an average pace of over 7'30" per mile...hardly a pace where he could not react to elements around him. If he indeed swatted or punched her, he should count himself lucky that it was not to the spouse of someone that would kick the crap out of him.

A video would be much better than a picture. A picture can be misleading. I thought someone said this was caught on video???

The pace I race at is an easy pace for others so the speed doesn't mean anything.

Its like this:

To a Nascar driver, driving 75-80 mph down the freeway is slow and they have a lot of time to think and react to anything that happens. An older or less experienced driver will not be able to react as well a some that is used to driving at twice the speed.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [npda] [ In reply to ]

npda wrote:

It's really interesting to me that the women's forum is a space that men can come over to ask personal questions about their relationships and are met with honesty and insight, but posting a question of morality and fairness around a gender issue in the triathlon forum (which is 95% a men's forum) is met with inflammatory, accusatory responses and positions that are extremely harsh, crude (the milf comment comes to mind), and severely shaming.

This is not an issue of morality or fairness around a gender issue due to a man "punching a woman in a race". The fact that these threads have led off with titles concerning "man punching women" should illustrate the real issue straight away.

This is an issue of a woman and her blogging minion dragging a man's name through the mud on the internet with no definitive proof that he was in the wrong. It's an issue of painting a completely one-sided view of an incident to garner support for a "victim" who then goes on an absurdly self-aggrandizing tirade about her virtue and wholesomeness to try and further denigrate this guy.

The only gender issue revolves around said "victim role". If the roles were reversed this would have never seen the light of day.

The woman and her blogger, and their subsequent posse of netizens are the terrifying, disgusting entities in this situation. Not because of the incident itself, but because of their ruthless attempts to destroy this guy on the interwebz with nothing but nothing but misleading pictures and hyperbole.

Prev Next