Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Psoas & knee pain?
Quote | Reply
I think that a weak, tight, and/or fatigued psoas muscle may be contributing to pain on the outside of my leg (an area usually associated with ITB).

Assuming that this is the case, any suggestions for strengthening or stretching it?

Thanks -- Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Psoas & knee pain? [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should ask the question since I am having some hip pain/ITB symptoms. Been doing some yoga (pigeon pose) and general stretching which was helping, but then found a very tender psoas that when worked would relax and the hip issue would disappear in seconds. Go to Trigger Point Technologies. Even if you don't buy/use their stuff there is a lot of good information. A tennis ball or foam roller may work as well, but I like the TP system and the way it works for me.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Psoas & knee pain? [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the Quadballer and should be getting it any day. This is an injury that has frustrated me for over two years. Every time I think I've kicked it, it creeps back in to my life.

I started by trying to treat the knee area, then worked on the TFL, and now I'm starting to become convinced that the whole deal is originating in the area we are talking about.

Possibly for you, too, a PT told me to work on my glutes, as that affects how the ITB tracks.

Hopefully we'll get a few other suggestions on here.

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will find the quadballer helps the situation. I have spent the past 4-5 yrs working from my feet upward with various nagging pains/injuries. If I keep up the progression I'm going to have one heck of a headache before long. ; ) Another tact you may want to take is see if you have an advanced ART practitioner close by. They can really get te healing process started (though it hurts like the devil!)Even though the pain may be in your knee (my hip) there is a reasonably good chance that it starts out as a (not so) pain in the butt. That piroformus can be a part of the ITB problem, too.

If I am religious about the stretching, hot showers before bed, a quick self message before getting out of bed in the morning and then conciously stretching when at work - I'm OK. Problem is I regularly fall off the wagon and then have to work hard to get it back. I guess my body is the comedian and my brain is the straight man.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been researching the psoas and how it might be effecting my symptoms -- low back pain, weakened hip flexors, and lateral knee pain. The low back pain and the HF's point to the psoas as a potential problem. That it feels better when I run also seems to point to a shorten psoas. It lengthens when walking or running and shortens when you sit. Google psoas muscle on psoas syndrome and you'll get some stretches. The one that helped me the most was lying flat on the back and bring your feet up to about one foot from your butt -- I could feel the psoas relax and lengthen. It took about 20 minutes the first time to get good results.
Quote Reply