Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake
Quote | Reply
I'd say this is irrefutable evidence that a disc wheel "works"--and that the wheelbuilder covers work great.
Below are bike splits at the Olympic distance Wildflower

2003: 1:16:29 Nimble Cross Winds - Fuji Team road bike
2005: 1:17:12 Nimble Cross Winds - Teschner road bike
2007: 1:13:47 Hed Jets (55 deep) - Scott Plasma
2008: 1:12:59 Hed Jets - Scott Plasma
2010: 1:11:40 Hed 60/90 + wheel cover - Scott Plasma

I would say that my bike fitness in '08 was marginally better than this year. But the "disc" wheel helped to improve the PR by over 1 minute.
Impressive.
What an awesome bang for the buck.

I was also using the new Simkins Egg brake, so maybe that had something to do with it :-)

Here's a pic of the bike w/brakes and disc cover

Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the fasteners on the wheel cover are on a bit too tight, hence the warpage. or you could skip the bolts all together and use electrical tape instead.

remove the the bottle from the seat tube and place it between the aero bars. swap tires out for bonty r4 aero with latex/polyurethane tubes.

that should get you at least another min. congrats on the improvements.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: May 3, 10 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nice...

psst...here's a tip...get some faster tires on that rig! ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
t...swap tires out for bonty r4 aero with latex/polyurethane tubes...

I think I'd hold off on the R4 tire recommendation until more get out there and we see how well the casings hold up to "abuse" (it appears the casing is similar to the Vittoria Diamante Pro Light which I've heard suffers cuts fairly easily in the sidewalls)...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional aero tips.
Regarding the Bontrager tires -- the great thing about the Schwalbe tires is they are super easy to mount, extremely light (180 grams!), and can handle high PSI (150) - though I run 120. They have also proven to be extremely durable.
I used to use the high $ Vittorias. Fantastic ride quality but you need tire irons to mount them on Heds. And they were pretty fast as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ew vittorias. i was going to upgrade from the pro race 3s, guess not now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must have no idea what the term "irrefutable evidence" means.

Anyway, when you get your oly bike time below 1:07 maybe you'll be able to ride 25 miles without two water bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I must have no idea what the term "irrefutable evidence" means.

my thoughts exactly!

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Props for Wheelbuilder Wheel Cover / Simkins Egg Brake [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, this is a rough crowd.
Wildlflower is a really tough bike course.
Legendary Pete Kain did it in 1:07 this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, this is a rough crowd.

Yes, yes it is.

Whether its irrefutable or not, good job for going faster.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno....

When your brakes have a higher aspect ratio than your fork, something is very wrong. ;)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice time but I agree there are just WAY too many factors to attribute to any one thing. If you had a power meter (the same as prior years) and you averaged the exact same watts with different wheels you may have a case!

Wildflower was the first Oly where I didn't run a disk/808 and used my 50mm training wheels instead. In general I believe race wheels only save 30-60 seconds. I knew I wasn't going to place top 5 so I didn't bother.

Anyway 1:11 is a great time on that course and I hope to do that next year...went 1:14 this year.
Quote Reply