Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Proprietary Bike Component Help
Quote | Reply
Hello, I have set the subject as is so that people with different bikes may find assistance as well. I have a Scott Plasma 5 that I bought in 2019. Even though it does not seem that old, Scott as moved on to the 6 and has stopped producing parts and parts are becoming harder to find. Any advice on keeping bikes with proprietary components on the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Proprietary Bike Component Help [JustKnasel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustKnasel wrote:
Any advice on keeping bikes with proprietary components on the road?

Yeah, it's the world we're increasingly living in for higher-end bikes.

I only have the obvious like:

1) Stockpiling proprietary consumables in advance
2) Used marketplaces like eBay or our classifieds
3) Sketchy unauthorized clone stuff, like from Alibaba.
4) 3D printing for non-serious-load-bearing stuff (unless you want venure into 3D milling or metal sintering for load bearing parts).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just decided my 2008 Argon E-114 is at that 'end of life'. I knew for last few years that replacement forks were not going to be available, and that would mean entire new bar/stem, fork if I had a crash. I did find a drop out in stock a few years ago, so bought that (still have it in case). It's 10 speed so when I had an issue with the bar end shifter I needed to take apart an 11 speed shifter and raid some parts to repair. Wheels were a challenge as anything 'modern (ie post 2012) were too wide to fit in the front fork. And 23mm tyres getting harder to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Proprietary Bike Component Help [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher tires in 23mm are plentiful.
Quote Reply
Re: Proprietary Bike Component Help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in NZ they aren't....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always kinda wondered this, what proprietary parts need regular replacement? Is it just handlebar components for when you want to change your fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Proprietary Bike Component Help [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I've always kinda wondered this, what proprietary parts need regular replacement? Is it just handlebar components for when you want to change your fit?

Dropouts and hangers, seat collars and clamps, some headset parts...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shfters (was trying to source a replacement 9sp Ultegra/105 STI for my road bike a couple of years back and that was impossible). It had worn out so that the lever movement didn't always shift (ok, is 2003 so had done it's duty). Even the last 9sp 105 used a different pull ratio meaning needed new mech.

Hubs/wheels.

As mentioned the frame bits do break, seatpost clamps, and in the old days not a huge issue with round posts, but then as we went through carbon shaped posts....

Some brake calipers have bespoke mounts/ adapters that over time , rest break or you lose a screw.

Bar bolts/stem/shims/s[acers. Normally you're riding and a screw comes loose then you don't immediately notice and have lost a spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I hate having to worry about parts in case of a crash or damage while traveling, which has happen each one time. But yea, a lot of people have said bearings, or this is a rim brake bike, and the brakes to my knowledge are proprietary, the base-bar and the seat post is, but I guess it’s the case of if one thing goes wrong it can be a pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Proprietary Bike Component Help [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send me a message. I usually have 20 to 50 in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A story from the other end of the spectrum. My trainer bike is a 1988 Cannondale SR500 - 6 speed freewheel, downtube shifters. A shifter lever broke a couple of years ago - no problem getting a replacement (not Shimano 105 (original) but a Shimano of some flavor that functions perfectly, even if the appearance isn't a match). All good. BUT, just recently, I heard a 'ping' while riding and then some roughness/unevenness. Took the bike off the trainer, removed the rear skewer and...the hub came apart in a couple of pieces with ball bearing falling out. So. I need a new wheel fitted with a 6 speed freewheel (having this wheel rebuilt with a new hub is way more than I'm willing to pay). Guess what? eBay has a new wheel that seems to fit the requirements. Probably not the lightest (it's a trainer bike, so who cares). The quality may we worse (the original wheel is pretty nice). I'll never get a 25/28 mm tire on it (where is the eye-rolling emoji when you need it?). But for about 100 USD, I think that I'll be back in business. THAT is the power of a standard that was adopted so widely that new replacement parts are available 35 years later. Now, my QR Cd0.1 race bike? Yeah, not so much...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been dealing with finding parts for a 2018 Giant MTB. What I found helpful was looking at web sites in the UK that seem to stock more of the small parts for repairs, then I can grab the part numbers and set about searching Ebay or working with a dealer. Worst case I order from UK and wait a month. I guess 2018 is obsolete for an expensive carbon bike? Ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeling better about not being able to find a beam for a NOS Softride frame I've had for 9 years!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply