Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Professional triathlon and Pro races
Quote | Reply
Hello, all.

The organizers of Ironman Brasil, who have been running the race for the last 20 years, announced that both the full IM and the 70.3 in Florianopolis will be AG-only races this year.

According to them, the date changes (from April to July for the 70.3 and from May to August for the IM) caused some sponsors to back out and also a lot of Age groupers opted to race in 2021. That, of course, will impact this year's race financially and therefore they can't (or won't) afford prize money.

This decision made a lot of people very angry, both Pros and AGers alike. The organizers are being destroyed in social media, which brings me to the discussion I wanted to have with you guys.

I understand that, for Ironman, paying prize money is an investment to (i) bring elite racers to the venue and therefore hope to lure more AGers who pay to race; and (ii) increase awareness in hopes of attracting more/better sponsors. It's purely a strategical move hoping to maximize revenue - as a private company they have no obligation whatsoever to support "Professional" racing.

Ironman is a private company that runs a participation sport business and occasionally invites "PRO" athletes to race for money when they see fit. Why is it that most so-called "PROs" feel like it's their "right" to have a professional race and Ironman's duty to provide them with a professional race?

Being a professional athlete is just like running any other kind of business. If your business sucks and you're struggling to make a living out of it, it's on you if you decide to keep pushing on it instead of trying something different.
Quote Reply
Re: Professional triathlon and Pro races [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
Hello, all.

The organizers of Ironman Brasil, who have been running the race for the last 20 years, announced that both the full IM and the 70.3 in Florianopolis will be AG-only races this year.

According to them, the date changes (from April to July for the 70.3 and from May to August for the IM) caused some sponsors to back out and also a lot of Age groupers opted to race in 2021. That, of course, will impact this year's race financially and therefore they can't (or won't) afford prize money.

This decision made a lot of people very angry, both Pros and AGers alike. The organizers are being destroyed in social media, which brings me to the discussion I wanted to have with you guys.

I understand that, for Ironman, paying prize money is an investment to (i) bring elite racers to the venue and therefore hope to lure more AGers who pay to race; and (ii) increase awareness in hopes of attracting more/better sponsors. It's purely a strategical move hoping to maximize revenue - as a private company they have no obligation whatsoever to support "Professional" racing.

Ironman is a private company that runs a participation sport business and occasionally invites "PRO" athletes to race for money when they see fit. Why is it that most so-called "PROs" feel like it's their "right" to have a professional race and Ironman's duty to provide them with a professional race?

Being a professional athlete is just like running any other kind of business. If your business sucks and you're struggling to make a living out of it, it's on you if you decide to keep pushing on it instead of trying something different.

I don't see much to complain out about frankly as a pro but I will say that in this case you (the organization) promised money, you may have used athlete likeness to promote the race, the race got moved, you may still be using their likeness. You are still doing the race. Sure some sponsors pulled out, so what does the organization lose, some % of money correct. What do the pros lose in this situation. They lose 100%.

A few years ago, Challenge USA cut the prize money in half, and chopped a bunch of races completely. This was after they asked some to make a bigger commitment to racing Challenge races that year. That year, I did make a big commitment to race Challenge races and almost exclusively. I didn't sign up for Ironman races as a result. Then Challenge made the announcement, very late in the season forcing a lot of pros to make changes. Pro triathlon is not a very lucrative sport except for a few.

I can't readily see how this one race change, in times of greater overall change, affects anything for pros. What are they complaining about? Do they have specific concerns?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Professional triathlon and Pro races [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
(the organization) promised money, you may have used athlete likeness to promote the race, the race got moved, you may still be using their likeness.

That is a good and valid point. The counter-argument to that is that we are living through some very unusual times and that using their image to promote the race will ultimately help the athletes bring visibility to their sponsors.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I can't readily see how this one race change, in times of greater overall change, affects anything for pros. What are they complaining about? Do they have specific concerns?

Mostly they complain that Ironman is not supporting professional sport and that by denying their "right" to race, they can't promote their sponsors. Which brings me to my initial point - why should Ironman support professional sport? Why do the athletes feel that it's Ironman's obligation to promote professional racing?
Quote Reply