Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR
Quote | Reply
Question for all of you that have spent good money on a professional fit.

Did you, during your "professional fit" ride on a trainer (or the road) to determine optimal position based on HR?

I'm questioning my fit? Which I'll admit wasn't done by a professional "tri" bike fitter.... Yes a good fitter, reputable for the locals. However, I don't think it's a optimal fit...

I can ride for hours on the aero bars, it's a moderatly aggressive fit (saddle about 2" above the arm rests), angles all seem to line up per FIST approach (I've done those measurements) and I was able to determine on the computrainer that I put out more power.... However....

During this afternoon's ride, in the flats, in the aero position, I was averaging 22/23 mph with a cadence of 90ish and an avg HR of 148. When the interval was done, I started home. I was on the cowhorns just cruising along and I noticed that I was avg 21.5/22, cadence of 90ish but my HR was 138.

So, I'm thinking that my semi-aggressive fit, while comfortable, may not be optimal purely based on my HR.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minor tailwind.
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that too... but I don't think so. Obviously, I have some testing to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, I'd think that increasing your speed by 1 mph could significantly increase your heart rate (by significantly I mean 5-10 bpm), especially as your speed increases. For example, 20 to 21 mph might cause your HR to go up 5 bpm, but going from 21 to 22 might cause it to go up 10 bpm (i.e. it's not linear). I'm just pulling these numbers out of my ass for the sake of an example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The differance between 1.5mph can be a big differance in HR/power ... at those speeds over a 40k event the differance between 21.5 & 23mph is 4 minutes! (1:05:30 vs 1:09:30) ... take that 4minutes and be happy with it ;) ... you sound ike you have a pretty darn good fit.

... you said the word comfortable AND had power numbers to back up the equation.

BTW ... I had a very expensive and 1st class fit on both my bikes and it had nothing to do with comparing HR & power. Was all about angles, position, and comfort.

Good luck!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: May 12, 05 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got FISTed last year with my P2K. Did not take more than a couple rides to believe it was way better than anything I have ever sat on. No HR tests, no power, just a bunch of funny measuring tools, a few stems and a trainer. I got about an hours worth of trainer riding while there. There were no good streets to go out and ride on, so I opted for the trainer.

It would be nice to have the reinforcement of HR/power with my position, but I don't have them. I just know my training partners cringe when I bring out the P2K since it is significantly faster than my road bike.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I got FISTed last year

Ooohhh, that doesn't sound right ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I have been waiting to use that one for months ;)

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Fit / Aero / Power / HR [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The differance between 1.5mph can be a big differance in HR/power ... at those speeds over a 40k event the differance between 21.5 & 23mph is 4 minutes! (1:05:30 vs 1:09:30) ... take that 4minutes and be happy with it ;) ... you sound ike you have a pretty darn good fit.

I'll take the 4 min in a 40k... but the 40k is not my objective....

I'm thinking about energy expended to gain an additional 5-6 miles or 15-20 minutes on the long course maybe better utilized on the run.
Quote Reply