Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problems with forums
Quote | Reply
There are only two issues that I see with posting in the triathlon forum that I see as problematic as it relates to selling goods.

First, we have a classifieds section. Use it.

Secondly, does the sales pitch cause conflict with other retailers who might be paying for ad space anywhere on slowtwitch.com? For example, I see mention of other retailers on this site who might not have personnel who post in the forum. Does posting information in the triathlon forum give someone a "leg up" on other retailers who might not know or understand that sales pitches are taking place in an area that wasn't set up to have them? Maybe Bikesport pays for space here...I don't know. Just a thought.

This is a great site with tons of information, but the more we clutter it up with things posted in the wrong areas, the less the forum becomes a useful tool. Bottom line, we're clouding things up here....let's clean it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just drop it, the majority of the forum has stated that they like Tom's posts. Tom has already of his own free will started to post things like that in the classified ads. There's one on there right now. Tom also made an audit of how often he posts anything that could even remotely be considered sales. And most of his posts are sport, racing, or OT topics not sales. Oh yeah and a healthy dose of additions to the hottie thread.

As for other retailers not making use of a very valuable tool for market forecasting, if nothing else. Too bad. The major players in this industry all have someone who at least lurks here if not the CEO. Don't blame someone for being a good business person.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never told Tom to leave or to stop posting here.

He's very valuable to the site.

The point is the forum is getting inudated with so much traffic that it's getting impossible to read what's being posted.

It's time to clean it up, that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jim...Let it die.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have decided: Tom's bike-related posts are OK, but I demand that he no longer post anything with sharks on them (they are too scary!).

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that the much bigger problem with forums is when their users try to decide what is and is not appropriate for said forum.

If you dont like it, dont read it. This forum is an absolute wealth of information on all things relevant. Don't hate the players.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [triyoshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is, the forum owner has already given clear guidelines about what kind of post can go where.

Last weekend I posted about a request to help me and my girlfriend buy a bike, via ebay, and parts etc not from ebay, for a Junior triathlete in Spain who had their bike stolen. We were prepared to pay whatever for time etc etc however Tom did not answer thougth we fitted in his 'market', as Tom is also an ebay seller plus makes all sosrts of claims about helping people etc etc.

I am happy to say we did end up buying a great frame, at $630 on eBay, and $900 not on ebay for gear for other triathlete in our region, La Coruna Spain, from a 'lurker' to this forum who also owns a bike shop and does not sell on ebay, unlike Tom.

That says it all to me, unlike Gerard from Cervelo who has offered something to this forum that is beyond good business it is an honest offer. I will never buy a Cervelo because of my beliefs in their materials etc but I would gladly recommend one anyone because I believe they are honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's unfortunate.

The post probably got buried by some non tri related thread hence my concern that posts aren't being put in the eright forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only wish so.
My girlfriend was so pissed after a more than a year of reading and lurking she thought we would get an instant response from all the 'posters'.

Funny thing was we were emailed by a friend who wants to buy a Kuota Kalibur and asked about Tom. I told him what I though and instead pointed him to another 'lurker' who emailed me with a great offer that we did not take.

There are some great guys on this forum who lurk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad your needs were met and your time wasn't wasted. Hopefully others won't run into the same issues and disappointment as your girlfriend did. In the end it all worked out but I can see the initial frustration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude relax. Sometimes things fall through the cracks but on the whole Tom and the rest of the gang respond very well calls for help.

Shit happens and holding grudge doesn't make things different.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foruma are alot like TV stations. If you dont like what is on them change the channel. Dont blame the station because it isnt everything you like. Keep surfin until you find the right one. I like the forum as is. I am the editor to what content I want to read.

Change the station man.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, the "change the station" analogy. Always a classic.

Hey man...just providing input on how to make things better. If you don't want to hear it, move on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who says this forum has to be a "useful tool"?

Maybe your posting in the wrong forum.. try elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, you don't seem to be comprehending the issue at hand.

Maybe you should go back and read up on the subject matter than spend some time contemplating and formulating an answer.

If you need any help maybe you could post a message asking for some, until then don't post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No thanks. You post despite your ignorance, so I'm going to as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with forums [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not really contributing to this discussion so you best spend your time elsewhere.
Quote Reply