Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Preventing stinky shoes.
Quote | Reply
I am in the process of building up a pair of La Woof style shoes. I have ordered a pair of Asics LD spike ($20 at Eastbay!) and will have a rubber sole glued on the bottom. I am very excited about this experiment but have a problem.

My last pair of running shoes had to be tossed because not only did they suck but they got horrible evil funky.

What is the best we to keep shoes from funking up? Daily dousing of Nature's Miracle? Those little bags of Cedar? Ideas anyone?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Preventing stinky shoes. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used DESENEX with success, but am now using scented talcum powder or baby powder. Just make sure you leave them in a dry place so it absorbs. Downside to the powder is the puffs of white that will come out of your shoes for the first few minutes.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to throw my H-Streets into a bag full of baking soda. Shake and make sure it's coated inside and out. You can also just spoon a whole bunch inside. When you want to run, just make sure you shake and pat them together hard!

I don't think this could be the best option (messy and can stain your shoes while until you wash'em), but it's definitely cheap, and works well enough if you give it enough time.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consumerjon,

Have you now officially rejoined the Tribe?

Caleb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Preventing stinky shoes. [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude I have know idea what I'm doing anymore. I just pick a path and go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put your shoes in a plastic bag, then into the freezer overnight. The freezing kills the odor causing bacteria. No cost or chemicals either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wash them once in awhile. I just take mine in the shower, rub in a little shampoo, rinse and let dry. Oh, and washing your feet doesn't hurt either.
Quote Reply
Re: Preventing stinky shoes. [grumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Oh, and washing your feet doesn't hurt either."

Oh dude that is soooo nasty!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correct, you're a long time sufferer of shin splints.

Well, I have been plagued for 5 years now. I just went to a set of spikeless XC shoes (on the advice LaWoof gave me a year ago), after the latest failed attempt to fix the problem and my shins feeling someone was pounding on them with a hammer. I started out on a treadmill. Even though my shins were killing me the week prior, the pain went away, and I even worked up to 20 miles/week without any shin pain (unheard of for me, my shins were killing me on a 12 mile/week schedule in standard shoes). The only problem I've had is transitioning to outside. I over did it the first time I ran outside, and ended up straining something in my foot.

I've decided to try a racing flat, to be a tad less minimal. I just got back from my first run in them, and the ride was a lot nicer.

So, my advice is take it way easy, and go real short. And try to keep the cadence up there around 90 footstrikes per minute. Also, don't worry about foot plant. I agree with LaWoof here, the foot will fall how it's supposed to. So, high cadence, and keep it easy and short.

It's amazing to me of all the things I've done, that it was bulky shoes that were causing my shin splints. Too much technology, all you need is some rubber to protect the feet. Now I need to make sure I don't injure something else, so far so good, but after all I've been through I have no idea if I'll be running like I want to or not. Be careful and good luck...

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I learned the hard way (she writes sheepishly) is that if you have any bit of a fungal infection going on, which can cause stinky feet, if you wash our feet with antibacterial soap, you can (and likely will) make the fungal infection WORSE.

Shampoo is a good choice, because it's generally not antibacterial in nature. But if your feet are chronically stinky, you might want to see if it's a fungal infection. (Mine got super sweaty & stinky when I was pregnant, and I was washing my feet with antibacterial soap to try and reduce the sweating & stinkiness which let the fungal infection (real problem) get far worse. If you have any injury on your toes/foot, a fungal infection will make it hard to heal. I won't show you my left big toe, or as I call him, 'Big Blackie" which got wrecked from soccer, and made worse by the fungal infection).

AP
Quote Reply