Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em?
Quote | Reply
I'm considering getting prescription lenses from Oakley for one or another of my pairs (M-frames or Half Jackets). Has anybody tried them, and do they work well? Sharply curved prescription lenses can be prone to a "fishbowl" effect, and I'm reluctant to drop $250 to find out for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 12 pairs of prescription Oakleys and have had excellent results with all of them. Ultimately though, I have a feeling it is just what I am doing until I get lasik.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm considering getting prescription lenses from Oakley for one or another of my pairs (M-frames or Half Jackets). Has anybody tried them, and do they work well? Sharply curved prescription lenses can be prone to a "fishbowl" effect, and I'm reluctant to drop $250 to find out for myself.

I had a pair of the prescription lenses for my Half Jackets. I suffered from the "fishbowl" effect. Actually kinda got sea sick. However a couple of my training buddies swear by them.

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the "fish bowl" effect?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is the "fish bowl" effect?

Ever see that MADD commercial for drunk driving were they keep on putting glasses down to simulate increased impairment. For me it seemed like the last glass before the accident. BTW I did have the prescription checked. I just couldn't get used to it. However, like I said I have a couple of training buddies that swear by them.

Cheers!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That reminds me, I was traveling a while back and had to stop by a lab to get my prescription glasses repaired and I asked them if they carried oakley sunglasses. They stated that they didn't carry them, however, they could take the lenses from some oakleys and make them prescription. I forget the price he quoted.. but it was much less then the 250. Anyone else tried this?

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, that definately would be unacceptable. I haven't experienced that. Quite thankfully too!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two pairs of Rx Oakleys: Minutes and Half Jackets. They are both great with no fishbowl effect.. Wonder if Rx strength may cause the fishbowl. For reference, my Rx is -1.50.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [dukeisno1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've got two pairs of Rx Oakleys: Minutes and Half Jackets. They are both great with no fishbowl effect.. Wonder if Rx strength may cause the fishbowl. For reference, my Rx is -1.50.

Joe

My Rx is -2.25 (left) and -1.50 (right). Not too strong.

Buying lenses-only for these is still cheaper than a new pair of complete sunglasses, so I think I'll give it a try on the half jackets.

Thanks for feedback guys/gals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to be sure of ... I think the Oakley lenses have an 8-base curve. Make sure your prescription can handle that type of curve and you should be okay. I had some prescription glasses similar to the Oakley e-wires from a few years back with the same type of "wrap" around the eyes and they were great. My eye doctor took care of the lenses personally due to the base curve issue and totally eliminated any fishbowl effect.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys and love them. The only problems I ever had with a pair was when I set them on my locker at the gym and some jackass ripped them off. This really pissed me off as I know darn well the idiot got two blocks away, tried them on, and realized that he could not see a damn thing and threw them out. The only other bad experience I had was when canoeing with a buddy and beer shifted causing canoe to flip and glasses to head downstream. So, if anyone catches a trout in the Manistee river wearing pretty slick shades, send them to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Oakleys -- Tried em? [volleycs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't be a big issue for them. They'll just make a pattern based on one of the original lenses and go from there, just like they would do if they carried that brand.
Quote Reply