Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre-swim for NYC triathlon
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the NYC triathlon on Sunday, and as far as I know there is no pre-swim for this race.
I like doing a pre-swim to acclimatize with the water, and since this will probably be the coldest tri swim I've ever done, I'm apprehensive about how I'll feel just jumping right in at the start like I've seen in the YT videos. Can anyone speak about their experience ?
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-swim for NYC triathlon [femibyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
femibyte wrote:
I'm doing the NYC triathlon on Sunday, and as far as I know there is no pre-swim for this race.
I like doing a pre-swim to acclimatize with the water, and since this will probably be the coldest tri swim I've ever done, I'm apprehensive about how I'll feel just jumping right in at the start like I've seen in the YT videos. Can anyone speak about their experience ?

This is the first year it's this late, so I don't even know what the expected temp is?

I've done it, but it was in July....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not attempt swimming in the Hudson outside the race.

If you want to minimize the shock of jumping in the water, pour a bottle of cold water into your wetsuit just prior to starting. Won’t be comfortable, but will eliminate the shock response.

That being said I do t think the water is THAT cold - I believe it is in the upper 60s.

Re: Pre-swim for NYC triathlon [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion about pouring cold water into my wetsuit, I think I may just do that :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine the water will feel too cold with a wetsuit on. I did an ocean swim last weekend in MA & the water was around 70. NY is a few hours south. It's not going to be anywhere near some of those late season 60 degree type races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said I think you're going to be OK. I've done some cold triathlon swims and wasn't able to do a practice swim mostly because we were not allowed into the water (Indian Wells 70.3 is one). Water temps were in the 50sF but I think water will be in the high 60sF for your race.

I live close to the Canadian border in Vermont and will swim in our mountain pond this week (more like a small lake). I'm hearing the water is high 60sF here. So I would imagine it's warmer 6 hours south of me even in the Hudson or ocean.

I would love to hear about the NYC Triathlon after you completed it. Please give us a race report :-)

I have been intrigued about doing this one. I'm a rural person who lives off-grid but it's exciting for me to visit a big city once in a while. I've done some big city marathons in the past and I'm well-traveled so this one is on my radar. Plus I'm done with the full IM after this year and excited to focus on smaller, faster distances.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Sep 26, 23 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
femibyte wrote:

Yes. There's a scientific name for this and for the process that happens that I can't remember. But
1. first just put your face in the water, exhale. Can do it a couple times
2. then dunk yourself completely under and exhale a couple times.
and then you are good to go.
I just step aside when it is my turn to go to get out of the way of everyone and do that, and then slot myself in. Or if going off a dock, just slide over to the side out of the way and do it. It will just take a few seconds and you are good.

For some, 60's is no big deal. While for others, it will feel a cold shock at first which can catch your breath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
femibyte wrote:

I’ve done it when it was in July … imo the water was too warm then and I wasn’t wearing a wetsuit lol Upper 60s is not bad at all. My suggestion would be to start slowly until you’ve acclimated to the water (it’s pretty much dark green so you’d have to sight regularly, however I don’t know if the water is clearer now). Once you’re used to the temp and conditions then start to rev the engine up.

I think they don’t allow pre-swims for safety reasons … I remember they had volunteers assisting ppl out of the water as it’s quite slippery and sludgey at the end. I’d definitely suggest rinsing off once you’re done.

Sorry maybe tmi but an enjoyable race with the fast current. The bike ride through UWS (albeit a few potholes) and run through Central Park is fantastic, will be even better without the 100F weather.

Enjoy and have a great race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck and have a blast! Is a fun and unique race.

When I did it, they had a shower tower set up on the starting platform. It was cycling River water up and then spraying down on us. So could get wet, fill your suit. Helped me for when I jumped in. And then agree with others. Even in September, shouldn’t be too bad. Enough people pee in it to keep it warm :)
Last edited by: WannaB: Sep 27, 23 5:38
Quote Reply