Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap hub...non-el
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had to service, tune-up, replace your PT hub? Not the electronics, but the bearings etc..

I was spinning the wheel after a rainy ride and noticed a LOT of friction and noise from the hub. Sounded like the bearings were worn. Are the bearings an LBS would have in stock? Or do io need to contact PT to get new bearings. I got a race in 2 weeks and I cannot have it down for any long period of time.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub...non-el [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can replace the loose bearings in the cassette freehub.

The are two additional sets of sealed cartridge bearings, one on each side. Graber recommends that you send it back to have them replace them. The one on the drive side is right next to the torque tube and you can damage it if you are not super careful. I've replaced the one on the non drive side but they told me that I was lucky that I did not damage anything and to send it in next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends. It is recommended that the sealed bearings be handled by Cycleops as during the pull out/press in, you could monkey with the torque tube enough to send the strain gages out of calibration. For the drive side bearings (which aren't sealed) you or a shop can do it.

It's a known issue that the PT cones are garbage. When I overhauled my wheel, the drive side cone was heavily pitted. It's a good idea to get new cones. Ultimately, my sealed bearings were giving me fits (grinding noise, loads of friction). Took about 2 weeks to send in and get the wheel back.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub...non-el [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aw that sucks! I hate to send it back now.

Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t send it back. The Ptap cassette body and cones suck. I mean they are REALLY cheap. They are so poor you almost think that it is a joke or mistake that they sell this hub for what… $400?

You need a good bike shop that can get you a new drive side of the hub. This means cassette body, bearings and cones etc (get Ultegra or Dura Ace). Provided the shop can properly work on hubs (many can’t), you won’t have a problem ever again. Everything can be ordered from Shimano.

If you send it back to Graber they are just going to replace and charge you for the same crap parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub...non-el [adam12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, my LBS overhauled the hub. Worn cup. Now the torque setting is off? When I reset it, it still reads number "9".

What do I do now?

Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply