Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ?
Quote | Reply
Looking into powermeters - really wanted an ergomo but exploring my options.....

Anyone build a zipp 808/powertap SL yet? How/where? Cost? Weight? How much does an open pro Mavic Powertap SL weigh? I know weight isn't a big deal - just curious.

I don't like the idea of training on a racing wheel but I'm considering it. Yes I know I could go open pro Mavic/cover. Yes I'd have to go clincher.

I'm thinking of Ergomo but would have to get campy cranks and campy compact cranks are $500-$600. Non compact is $200+.

SRM's = no use of compacts and Dura-ace SRM is too $$$$.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you want a Power Tap (training device) in an 808? (race wheel)

Sure sure you can sit there and monitor all you want for watts and what not - but at the end of the day in a race your HR, watts, and all that jazz matters not - all that matters is that you put out as much as you can at every given moment and try to have a good day. For racing (bicycle) I have no electronics. Short course Tri - no electronics - IronMan - HR monitor for the bike only, comes off for the run and I cant see it in the swim.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you want cheap, light, and fast? Pick two.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you have to get new cranks? they make octalink BB and square taper.

I love my ergomo and would highly recommend it. I also had a PT pro but hated to not have it on race day (and having data crap out on me due to power lines and other interference). The ergomo is completely hardwired so data is never lost.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ISIS?

I read one of your last posts.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ? [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be joking. Having your power meter running during an event is a great reality check against adrenaline-induced enthusiasm. I TT'd once w/ the meter covered, felt great going out for awhile but really crapped out later. When I reviewed the data, I found out why... a solid chunk of time was spent at 400+ watts early on, when jazzed up, thinking I was way below that.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the nice thing about the Ergomo is you can use different wheel combos without having to worry about this sort of thing. If you don't have a power meter yet, you may want to go with the Ergomo. The problem with the Ergomo is you can't use it on multiple bikes, at least not easily from my understanding. If you are using the same bike for racing and training, but different wheels, I'd go Ergomo. They should be back in the US by Feb. I wouldn't build up an 808 set and train on it. The wheelset could probably handle it, but what if? That's a hefty investment to be exposing to the elements and traffic on a regular basis.

Alternatively, you could go with a PT standard on your training wheel, and one on your 808. You could probably do it so that it worked out to be the same price. Sure the PT standard is heavier, but it's not like the 808 is made of gossamer. For a triathlon a couple hundred extra grams at the hub won't matter.

Just some thoughts

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ? [coach pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you find the Ergomo's resistance to wear/dirt/water etc?

That seems the one off putting part of Ergomo that the sensor is fitted in a part that needs fairly regular replacement - Cranks and hubs (exept for the bearings with can be replace at lowish costs) don't tend to wear out that much. Just a bit worried that the long term cost of running them may be higher than some of the other options. Can you replace bearings/service the bottom bracket yourself?

I also wonder how the current trend toward outboard bearings Cranks/bb's such as the Durace 10 might effect their market?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride in all types of rain and cold without a problem with my ergomo (2 seasons). One thing I have done is taken the head unit off and put it in my jersey pocket a few times when I got caught in heavy rain. The head unit is water proof but I figure why push it to actually find out. Compared to the power tap I think the BB power meter unit is much better than a hub could be in terms of keeping crap out. I think that is why the PT SL moved most of the electronics inward with the new design.

I currently have two sensors and one is located on my cross bike with DA octalink cranks. I have rode through some serious mud this past fall w/o a hint of a problem.

My second sensor is on my road bike with power cranks.

FYI--Power cranks can only be used with square taper ergomo BB. Both ergomo and Powercranks require different (won't work w/ each other) octalink crank bolts. Ergomo uses standard crank bolts with their square tapered design.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL/Zipp 808 combo ? [coach pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat,

I have FSA compact cranks - ISIS - and I love compact cranks but could live without them....My other bike has octalink. I'd likely go with ergomo/octalink though I haven't heard when they will be available again. Ergomo/square taper should be available soon - but you need to use the new record/chorus cranks. Campy compact cranks are $500-600+......regular campy record cranks (non compact) are $200+. That adds to the cost....esp. with compacts. I haven't checked octalink cranks but bet some ultegra/lower cranks would be pretty cheap.

I do think Ergomo will have issues with the solid spindle bottom brackets becoming the norm....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a PowerTap SL built into Mavic Open Pro wheels...use them on the indoor trainer and out on the road....weight is like a disc wheel more or less.....don't see the point of racing with it as in a race or TT as all I can think of is "uuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh this hurts". I thought to myself, what's the point for racing.....you go at 100% of capabilities and that's it....

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply