Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help!
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

I have a problem with my Powertap GS hub draining batteries, and reading other threads this might be a firmware issue; I'm trying to connect to Rouvy to do the update (or check if it is available) but the app in Android does not see or connect the device.

I run Trainerroad in the same phone, at the same time, and it is visible there.

I wonder if I have to pay subscription to Rouvy to be able to update firmware?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help! [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d suggest trying to firmware update using the PowerTap app instead. I find it works a bit better for firmware updates over Rouvy App.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help! [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rouvy is bi-polar when it comes to connecting to sensors. Most of the time it works perfectly, and then it will suddenly turn into a MLB for a while until you completely reboot the computer. Doesn't happen often to me, but once in a while...

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to use Rouvy, since I don't have an iphone... it is not on the android store... I will try to reboot the phone and see if it works now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How quickly is your battery draining?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done two this year... so roughly a month each. I more or less 200 km training in a week, or 6 hours per week total. So around 24 hours each battery?
I found the battery drained once before starting my workout on the trainer and the second one after carrying my bike to the road training (before even starting to train).
I changed the battery last year maybe a couple times, on roughly the same amount of training. This is the first time it drains this fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I presume it has a G3 powercap on the end?
If so, these stop switching off and eat batteries.

And if you have a pc, then use poweragent for firmware updates
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help! [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the little cap you remove to change battery... so those drain batteries like that? they never switch off?

Poweragent, I tried that, but my PC bluetooth does not detect the power meter... in the Powertap website they recommend to get an external Bluetooth dongle... I hate that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a micro/mini usb cable.

The cap needs to be fully awake immediately before removing the battery and updating the firmware, so I would:
1- make sure you have poweragent up and ready to do a firmware check.
2- you have a brand new battery installed in your powercap.
3- have the wheel to hand, and spin it to make sure it is definitely awake.
4-remove powercap quickly, and remove battery.
5-connect to pc with usb cable and do firmware check.

Personally I still think your powercap has gone duff.

Another potential cause could be if you are using the wheel on a turbo with an other powermeter, but its trying to connect to your head unit all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap GS drains battery and won't connect to Rouvy! help! [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks philg but the cap has no usb port to connect to... It has to update over the air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could have sworn mine has; I cant remember using BT and a phone app to update it, yet I know I have, as I got a brand new cap, and was the first thing I checked...
Quote Reply