Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike?
Quote | Reply
I am a long time powertap hub user. They have alway been bombproof, never have dropouts, etc. and I like that it tells me power, along with speed (and cadence, but this isn’t necessary to me) without requiring a Garmin speed or cadence sensor. Not a dealbreaker, though for alternative suggestions.

I also have the latest Dura Ace crankset on my rim braked bike. I am wondering what is a solid, reliable, and accurate other power measuring device, as I’d like to get newer wheels and not necessarily build them around a powertap. I like my pedals, so I don’t want to change those, for a power pedal.

What are my choices? A left arm Stages, which I do understand the inherent measuring deficiencies of doubling a one sided Powermeter. Price is not the biggest consideration, if the powermeter will be reliable and last for many years. Anything else? I’m okay replacing the crank to another crank.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quart and power2max will let you keep your dura ace chainrings, as long as you get the correct version.

Stages and 4iiii also make dual sided versions. Gplama likes the xcadey power meters.

Lots of options. See DcRainmaker and GPLama for a good list and pros / cons of each.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace 9000 SRM

or SRM Origin with 9100 rings

Last edited by: echappist: Aug 2, 20 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with a SRM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great luck (and customer service) from Quarq. I recommend them.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the recommendations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through power meter city for my power 2 max with rotor crank. Fits my Shimano chainrings and the price was great. Accuracy and reliability have been outstanding.
Last edited by: JustInTime: Aug 2, 20 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [JustInTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustInTime wrote:
I went through power meter city for my power 2 max with rotor crank. Fits my Shimano chainrings and the price was great. Accuracy and reliability have been outstanding.

Tried including pic but I guess I’m not allowed. PM if you would like to see pictures.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gplama likes the xcadey power meters.

Likes is an overreach there. I had to scale up their spider meter by 5% to get reading accurately. Their single left and spider PM (if accurate) seems ok. Their dual sided Shimano is the same as the rest, not something I can reliably use to compare other meters/trainers to.

I update this on a regular basis: https://gplama.com/powermeter-guide/

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Last edited by: gplama: Aug 2, 20 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I put 4 bolt shimano chainrings on a quarq or power2max, does it have the same issues? Basically is there any way to get accurate, crank-based power using those chainrings?
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
If I put 4 bolt shimano chainrings on a quarq or power2max, does it have the same issues? Basically is there any way to get accurate, crank-based power using those chainrings?

The issue is with the right Shimano crank arm. If that's not involved, you're good. IMO the Quarq/P2M/Rotor spiders with DuraAce rings look so damn nice. (I have a soft spot for most Shimano things).

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you can. Spending nearly $2k for a PM in the year 2020 is, at least in my opinion, a very easy way to go wrong.

P2M is a very reasonably priced, accurate, set-and-forget PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Likes is an overreach there. I had to scale up their spider meter by 5% to get reading accurately. Their single left and spider PM (if accurate) seems ok. Their dual sided Shimano is the same as the rest, not something I can reliably use to compare other meters/trainers to.

Hi GPLama. I saw the discussion of the right sided crank based issue and wondered if it was mostly higher end (ie Dura race and Ultegra) and with 105 less a problem due to more material, and being a bit heavier? or if they are getting it under control, I know 4iiii have looked at this problem for sure as I believe you mentioned in your video of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Hi GPLama. I saw the discussion of the right sided crank based issue and wondered if it was mostly higher end (ie Dura race and Ultegra) and with 105 less a problem due to more material, and being a bit heavier? or if they are getting it under control, I know 4iiii have looked at this problem for sure as I believe you mentioned in your video of the problem.

I'm not aware of any power meter company using 105 for dual sided Shimano based systems, so it's not something I have any data on.

Are they getting it under control... As I understand it, if they could, they would. As discussed by Keith Wakeham in his technical deep-dive on this one, it's almost impossible to solve with the current design of the Shimano right side crank arm.

What I'm waiting for is the next generation Shimano crank to see if they've redesigned things. They're in a really good position do knock this out of the park next round. And I hope they do.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

The issue is with the right Shimano crank arm. If that's not involved, you're good. IMO the Quarq/P2M/Rotor spiders with DuraAce rings look so damn nice. (I have a soft spot for most Shimano things).

I've got 2x Quarq with shimano rings (1xDA and 1x Ultegra). I'm don't really worry about the aesthetics, for me it's about the performance. And that works well. I am sure there are other options that work as well, but for me then the quarqs have worked well over the last 9 years, and on the odd occasions they haven't then the support has been good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I was specifically thinking of the spider based pm, the impression I got was that you liked it.

P2M and Quarq seem like the best options in the crank-based pm space though. They’re what I’m leaning towards now.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I was specifically thinking of the spider based pm, the impression I got was that you liked it.

Yep, when it was 'corrected' it went well. I'm still throwing things at a Sigeyi spider (almost identical to the XCadey) to see how that lines up.

JasoninHalifax wrote:

P2M and Quarq seem like the best options in the crank-based pm space though. They’re what I’m leaning towards now.

Agreed on the Quarq (no experience with P2M). If people want a power meter that just works out of the box and does what it says, spend the money and forget the worry.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Rotor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched your positive video review on the quarq dzero dub pm. Do you think this would get the same type of review: quarq dfour dub power meter, with dura ace rings?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Do you think this would get the same type of review: quarq dfour dub power meter, with dura ace rings?

Thank you.

I'd assume it's the same underlying tech, so there's every chance it'll be as good.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Do you think this would get the same type of review: quarq dfour dub power meter, with dura ace rings?

Thank you.

I'd assume it's the same underlying tech, so there's every chance it'll be as good.

Many thanks! I like reviews that end with, it just works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
I watched your positive video review on the quarq dzero dub pm. Do you think this would get the same type of review: quarq dfour dub power meter, with dura ace rings?

Thank you.

This is what I did and I am very happy with the set up.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea why anyone would be buying anything but Assiomas in 2020. Unless you are a hardcore speedplay person, they are the cheapest, most reliable and the most versatile solution on the market.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Aug 3, 20 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter for Dura Ace Bike? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I have no idea why anyone would be buying anything but Assiomas in 2020. Unless you are a hardcore speedplay person, they are the cheapest, most reliable and the most versatile solution on the market.

.I’m a speedplay person. Hence P2M. But if I weren’t, I agree.... Assiomas would be it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next