Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Tap vs Polar Power meter????
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a power meter. What is the general feeling about power meters....which one should I get (POLAR vs. POWER TAP PRO....the srm is out of my league)?

The polar would allow me to use my race wheels but I am unsure how accurate I can set it up. The Power tap is very user friendly but I wouldn't be able to use it during big races (must use the PT hub). I really like the Polar software and heard the Power Tap software is not to good. Anyone have an opinion? I haven't heard any good experiences with the Polar....anyone have one and have had good experience with it?

Cost is not that big of an issue between the two. I don't compete in TRI's just cycling events so not have a watch off the bike is not an issue either.

Thanks for the help,

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap vs Polar Power meter???? [enferdunord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to check out:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rechung/wattage/rosetta/rosetta.html

Natrin
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap vs Polar Power meter???? [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked at all of the reviews online and they all seem to say. Polar a good value but tough to set up accurately. Also the polar only samples every 5 seconds while to PT every second. Anyone have experience with either unit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Power-Tap and have been pleased with it. Very easy to set up, seems accurate (although it's hard to tell without an ergometer or a Computrainer to compare against) and great customer service. I've heard that the Polar isn't all that accurate unless you set it up perfectly - which can be a royal pain, but I have no direct experience with them. I do know that Gordo & Rich Strauss recommend the SRM and Power-Tap in that order, but have never seen them recommend the Polar.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While i've never used a Polar, the reports i've heard about it and the review of it against the SRM in a peer reviewed journal make me feel "nervous" about it's accuracy, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...31&dopt=Abstract

Anecdotal reports are that is extremely difficult to set up accurately (really requiring either an SRM or PT to ensure it's done correctly). Also, it appears to give very suspect figures when riding on a trainer.

The PT (both standard and Pro) are more accurate than the SRM Amateur and possibly more accurate or certainly the same as the SRM Pro. The SRMs can require lots of calibrating (you need to hang certified masses off the cranks and check the slope calculations) to ensure that the data is valid and accurate, on the other hand the PT doesn't require this (just ensure it's zeroed before every ride, takes < 2-secs).

If you want to use the PT for racing, it can be purchased with a Zipp 303 rim, or you can have it built on to any (or most) rim. The data from racing is certainly useful, and i use mine in all races. It's a great tool (as is the SRM too) and well worth the cost.

Ric

http://www.cyclecoach.com
Quote Reply