Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power Profile on Training Peaks (Cat5 to World Record Holder)......Accurate CAT ranking for most of you? [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:
I'm a cat 3, but not really a sprinter and not really a threshold guy either. I guess more of a puncheur? Dunno, but I dig a 300-400m 10% finishing climb:

5s = 1475 (17.05 w/kg)
1m = 808 (9.78 w/kg)
5m = 405 (4.8 w/kg
20m = 350 (4.23 w/kg)

Based on the above, I'd fall between cat 1 and 4. I rarely do any 5 min efforts because ... well I just don't. In the end, the values don't mean a lot TO ME, since a race (road, crit, etc) can play out based on so many factors (e.g., field, terrain, heat, wind, rain, etc) that the last thing I want to be thinking about is "did I train xx min power enough?".

your 1min power would make you an amazing leadout guy. just go to the front and drill that and watch as people just pull parachute out the back as they are unable to hang on.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile on Training Peaks (Cat5 to World Record Holder)......Accurate CAT ranking for most of you? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
ctflower wrote:
I'm a cat 3, but not really a sprinter and not really a threshold guy either. I guess more of a puncheur? Dunno, but I dig a 300-400m 10% finishing climb:

5s = 1475 (17.05 w/kg)
1m = 808 (9.78 w/kg)
5m = 405 (4.8 w/kg
20m = 350 (4.23 w/kg)

Based on the above, I'd fall between cat 1 and 4. I rarely do any 5 min efforts because ... well I just don't. In the end, the values don't mean a lot TO ME, since a race (road, crit, etc) can play out based on so many factors (e.g., field, terrain, heat, wind, rain, etc) that the last thing I want to be thinking about is "did I train xx min power enough?".

your 1min power would make you an amazing leadout guy. just go to the front and drill that and watch as people just pull parachute out the back as they are unable to hang on.
I'll play that role in a couple of the local race rides. Sometimes for teammates and sometimes just to keep the pace high/safe for the sprint. As a team, we haven't linked up with me in that role in a race yet though. We'll probably clean that up early next year though since we have a solid Jr sprinter.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile on Training Peaks (Cat5 to World Record Holder)......Accurate CAT ranking for most of you? [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice 5s 1m numbers. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is can you train the lower stuff and to the extent you can what do the numbers need to be to be competitive at a certain CAT level. That's why I mentioned the TP article.

I've done a half dozen crits this year and each has played out a bit different given weather, riders, strategies, etc.

I do a ton of 1 min, 3 min, 5 min, 7 min, 20 min stuff based on my plan and have seen a nice jump in the power band everywhere.......except the 5s 1m which is still behind where it needs to be against better CAT 4 racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile on Training Peaks (Cat5 to World Record Holder)......Accurate CAT ranking for most of you? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest not thinking about it as needing xx watts for yy seconds to keep up with certain cats. There are a lot of different ways to win a race or hang on in a race. Train your weaknesses and race your strengths. I know cat 1's that can't break 1,100 watts at 80+ kg, but they have stellar long range power and stretch the 5 s guys until their band snaps. Work on putting yourself in better positions going into turns, work the draft more if you're getting tired, counter attack when you see the 5s guys are hurting. If you know the 5s power is going to hurt you, be first through the turn so you're not having to jump hard each time out. Dictate the race instead of respond to it.

With that said, yeah, you can work 5s power, but only so much. Sounds like you are on a training program, is it with a coach? If so, ask them to add some strength stuff or ask them how (of if you need to) to get better 5s power. If no coach, then work and standing starts and short (15-20s) hilly sprints.
Last edited by: ctflower: Sep 15, 15 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctflower wrote:

5s = 1475 (17.05 w/kg)
1m = 808 (9.78 w/kg)
5m = 405 (4.8 w/kg
20m = 350 (4.23 w/kg)

So you're about 182 lbs / 82.7kg.
Serious, non-jerky, question. Do you have any weight to lose?
You have the engine to be a very solid all-arounder.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile on Training Peaks (Cat5 to World Record Holder)......Accurate CAT ranking for most of you? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
ctflower wrote:

5s = 1475 (17.05 w/kg)
1m = 808 (9.78 w/kg)
5m = 405 (4.8 w/kg
20m = 350 (4.23 w/kg)

So you're about 182 lbs / 82.7kg.
Serious, non-jerky, question. Do you have any weight to lose?
You have the engine to be a very solid all-arounder.

No problem and not jerky at all. Yeah ... I can lose weight (I'm PROBABLY around 12-14% body fat) and would probably be content to race around 175 (float between 182 and 185), but I love sugary foods. I started the season around 200 or so and was stoked to get it down to where I'm at now. Hoping to not have a significant relapse over the winter. I started working with a coach this year which has been tremendously helpful with respect to on bike improvement as well as discipline with foods.
Quote Reply

Prev Next