Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running?
Quote | Reply
For cycling there is the Coggan power profile chart, in running there are also charts available where you can mark your times and see what distances you are performing better at relative to other runners(downward sloping pattern vs upwward sloping, etc), but does such a "power chart" exist for swimming??

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure this is exactly what you are after but you can try it and see if you can make it work

http://www.usaswimming.org/...tionalTimes-Quad.pdf

This is the "2005-2008 National Age Group Motivational Times - Percentile Based" prepared by USA Swimming. This chart is based on analysis of age group swim meets shows the percentile rank for times for each competative swimming event and for age groups 10 & U through 17-18 and for short and long course meters and short course yards. You can use this to compare different events for individual swimmers and even compare the relative strenghts of different swimmers across age groups.

Here's an example of how the chart works: a 6:33.99 500 yd free would be in the 75th percentile for a 10 & U boy, meaning that roughly 25% of the boys in that age group are faster than this kid. A 75th percentile time in that age group for the 100 yd free is a 1:16. So, you can compare his 500 and 100 times and see which event he is "better" at.

For adults trying to use this, just find an age group that matches up with your times and compare across events and it will give you a rough idea of your relative strength in each event.
Last edited by: STP: Jun 23, 06 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent, thanks!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is cool I can't believe I never saw that. It is fun to go back and look up what I used to be when I was 17-18, pretty cool.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be a 10 cent rider, but you are a "track I" swimmer :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a slightly more sophisticated version called "Power Points" that assigns points for times in a range from 0 to 800. It comes with the software most age group teams use to manage their teams. You can run a report and find out who the best all around swimmer on the team is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you can go to practice and see who drills everyone else on a consistent basis or go to a meet and see who scores the most points for the team.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you can go to practice and see who drills everyone else on a consistent basis or go to a meet and see who scores the most points for the team.

That doesn't sell software ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Profile Charts - Swimming, Biking, Running? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You might be a 10 cent rider, but you are a "track I" swimmer :-)

Uh well Yes, as matter of fact I WAS in the 98th% range according to chart as a 17-18YO. Of course that was my late 80's times compared to todays, but I'd say if anything times have gotten faster. Of course that was then and this is now and I have alomost 0 hope of being a 17-18 YO track 2 swimmer today.

how about yourself?

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply