Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter recommendation new bike, Shimano 12-spd | Help me move away from Powertap wheels
Quote | Reply
Hi there – hoping for some recommendations.
Just ordered a new TT rig with disc brakes (new to me) and Shimano 12-speed setup and I need to figure out a power meter solution.

Background
I am still using Power Tap wheels (rim brakes) and over the years I’ve owned 9 of them (I still have 5 in active duty) and they have been flawless. As long as the batteries are changed, set it and forget it. Always work, never a doubt on reasonable accuracy and stable with both connection and readings.

Every other solutions I’ve tried in past years to move to something else than my trusty powertap hubs have been fails.

• Stages (1 sided, gen 1 or 2 not sure) crank arm on my mountain bike: signal to Garmin head unit was often dropping.. I do not use that bike often, most of the time I went to use the bike after a period of inactivity the battery was dead (of course I was already out by the time I saw that.

• Quarq Elsa RS (bought used I concede) – flawless on the trainer, frequent power drops on the road (vibrations). Sent to SRAM/Quarq.. they went through a bunch of test, returned it saying it was fine.. same issue. I still have it, but ride it on the trainer as secondary power source.

• Garmin Rally pedals (Shimano) – Looked promising at first, matched my power taps within a couple of watts after calibration of both.. but it soon became clear the power readings were drifting on long rides (likely due to temperature changes over the course of the ride). I won’t go in the details here, but I know it was the pedals not the PTAP that had an issue. I gave it a chance, waiting for a few firmwares to come out and test, no joy. Sold them.
Now
Obviously with the new bike being disc brake, I need to get a different PM solution. I do not want power pedals so I am thinking one of the crank based solutions, that will work well with Shimano 12-speed chain rings. Must also be double sided.

I am also looking at something very reliable and that I can trust just like I could with the powertap hubs.

From my own research, I’ve identified 2 candidates, looking for feedback on those (or other recommendation if you think you have a holy grail for my expectations…)

1) Stages’ new LR crank sets for Shimano 12 speed)

($865 Ultegra, $1,225 D-A or appealing $530 for sending in the Ultegra crank that will come w my new bike)

Shane Miller (GP Lama) in his recent videos tested them, they did awesome and he called them the best options for Shimano 12-speed users. High praises from him.

From my past experience w Stages, I am worried about the connectivity issues w Garmin head units.. Is it a lot more stable now?
Also concerned by the other post on slowtwitch about scary customer support on a new Stage stationary bikes..,
Should I be concerned about the lack of support?

The price point of the install service by sending your own crank for upgrade ($530, ~4 week turn around) seems pretty appealing.. Anyone did that? Were you happy with the results?

2) Power2Max NG w Aldhu R 24mm crank w Ultegra chain rings ($1,299 assembled)

NG’s have been out for a while.. still relevant? Price is much higher that above.. but if a better option fine.
Reliability?
Worth the higher price?
Any issues for current users?

What else is out there I should consider and why?

Thanks for your recommendations, tried a few things in the past and been burned, hoping the next time will be a better experience..

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Aug 10, 23 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter recommendation new bike, Shimano 12-spd | Help me move away from Powertap wheels [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still behind on posting my Stages LR video on the Shimano 12-speed. But all my data collection/etc is done after many months of usage across all sorts of weather conditions, and in short, my results match Shane's - spot on. Would recommend.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter recommendation new bike, Shimano 12-spd | Help me move away from Powertap wheels [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
I'm still behind on posting my Stages LR video on the Shimano 12-speed. But all my data collection/etc is done after many months of usage across all sorts of weather conditions, and in short, my results match Shane's - spot on. Would recommend.

What would you say are the pros and cons of this versus a Favero solution ?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter recommendation new bike, Shimano 12-spd | Help me move away from Powertap wheels [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ever is pedal based as you can easily move to any bike. My Garmin vectors are about to hit 1 decade !
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter recommendation new bike, Shimano 12-spd | Help me move away from Powertap wheels [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Synthetic
I know.. I was really appealed by the convenience of pedals.. But I tried that last season as reported above.
Latest generation Garmin Rally pedals.
Looked good in the beginning.. but when started doing long rides, it became clear the power output was drifting. They came to reading 10-20 watts less after a few hours of riding.

I might not have noticed if not for a few things:
- I was riding with powertap hub in parallel, and the discrepancy grew with time during the ride
- I was doing long intervals at IM pace and my feeling was telling me the Powertap was right and the pedals wrong..

...still, I did not necessarily assumed the power tap was right. But the following tests made me confirm the pedals were the issue:
- stop on the road, calibrate the powertap hub (zero offset), start riding again: discrepancy remained.
- stop on the road, calibrate the pedals (zero offset), start riding again: suddenly the power output went back up matching the power tap

Happened during several rides. Always the same pattern as above. If just for training, I would not care: I would have just learned to re-calibrate during a long ride when I stop at the gas station to buy fluids or something.. but for long course racing, this was not acceptable.

Saw some user comments having the same problems, waited a few firmware updates to see if this would be improved, no go.

Without having the powertap in parallel, like I said, I might not have been aware of this or just chalked my power dropping lower in a long ride to fatigue..

I heard only good things on the Assioma pedals though.. but I have several bikes and several shoes all on Shimano pedals/cleats and like that all is cross compatible.

That, plus over the years I've had 2 spills that resulted in a hit on the pedals.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Aug 11, 23 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Assioma Duo pedals especially if you have more than one bike. Its good to have a consistent measure on different bikes and the price is reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a recommendation but I know someone looking to buy a rim brake powertap wheel. LMK when you're ready to sell and I'll put you in touch with him

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply