Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq)
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys!

I am about to buy my first ever power meter (besides the one on my smart trainer) and am thinking about either getting the Garmin Vector 3 (Or 3S and then upgrade) or a Quarq Crank spider based on (as they seem to be very good).
One concern i have is that the Quarq will only fit the current groupset (For me the Ultegra 6800) and won't be useable on a new bike.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Best regards,
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [Vanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think both are good options and my only advice is that powermeters are like bikes: one is seldom enough.

Maybe I’m just lazy but I like being able to pick the bike I need/want to ride and not have to fool around switching cranks or pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is switching between bikes important? Yes = pedals; No = crank

Is future compatibility important? Yes = pedals; No = crank

Do you prefer a particular pedal (Speedplay, Shimano, Look, etc.)? Yes = crank; No = pedals

Is L/R power important? Yes = pedals; No = crank

Is total power important? Yes = crank or V3; No = V3s
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is switching between bikes important? Not yet, but probably soon

Is future compatibility important? Yes

Do you prefer a particular pedal (Speedplay, Shimano, Look, etc.)? Only used Shimano Pedals / Cleat system so far, but ultegra/dura ace pedals seem rather similar compared to the garmins...

Is L/R power important? Never had this feature yet, so hard to determine it's worth

Is total power important? asaf. you do get total power with 3s aswell, only it is extrapolated (i.e. 2x left power)

So probably the garmin ones are the smarter choice for me?
Last edited by: Vanity: Dec 24, 17 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
L/R power is probably not a big deal. I have it, and I like it—I can see how my power balance changes with fatigue and effort, but it is not really actionable.

Total power is different. I think it is important, and 3s pedals do not give you total power. They double left power, which can be very inaccurate if you have a power imbalance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
L/R power is probably not a big deal. I have it, and I like it—I can see how my power balance changes with fatigue and effort, but it is not really actionable.

Total power is different. I think it is important, and 3s pedals do not give you total power. They double left power, which can be very inaccurate if you have a power imbalance.

I think i go with the Vector3S and try them as i then still got the chance to upgrade and get the mentionned feature
Many thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Is switching between bikes important? Yes = pedals; No = crank
You can swap cranks faster than pedals. You can swap a rear wheel faster than you can swap cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the left crank (like stages, which i heard isn't any good) you are probably right, but for the crank-spider i guess it is a bit inconvenient

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
You can swap cranks faster than pedals. You can swap a rear wheel faster than you can swap cranks.
Not for everyone. And, only if the BBs are compatible; that is getting less common as well. I prefer to swap pedals over cranks any day. A hub PM was not on the OP's original list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
RChung wrote:

Not for everyone. And, only if the BBs are compatible; that is getting less common as well. I prefer to swap pedals over cranks any day. A hub PM was not on the OP's original list.

I don't like hub powermeters as you would need two separate meters for cheap training wheels and race wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Power2Max crank based pm? I now have two - tri bike and road bike - and have had zero issues in nearly two years of use. Changing a battery is all I've done. I don't have personal experience with either the Vector pedals or a Quarq, but am just chiming in as a very content P2M user.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Have you considered a Power2Max crank based pm? I now have two - tri bike and road bike - and have had zero issues in nearly two years of use. Changing a battery is all I've done. I don't have personal experience with either the Vector pedals or a Quarq, but am just chiming in as a very content P2M user.

haven't heard much about it yet, but will dig deeper! many thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanity wrote:
yeah the left crank (like stages, which i heard isn't any good) you are probably right, but for the crank-spider i guess it is a bit inconvenient

People who haven't swapped have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibycOXD-Mw0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
RChung wrote:

Not trying to pile on here, but another factor is that some folks use several sets of pedals on the same bike, and thus might choose a crank-based power meter. My travel bike is a cyclocross bike; sometimes I use it with speedplay pedals and light road wheels; sometimes with MTB pedals and fatter tires. And I can swap the crank to my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Quarq's since their beginning...they are amazing. Outstanding customer service. Easy to setup and use. Calibration simple. Same BB - super easy to swap between bikes...but I have 3 Quarq's - one on each bike - partly due to BB issues and partly because I'm too lazy to swap them.

You can get L/R on the Quarq's by the way - but I don't really focus on that info - mine almost always read within 2-4% of each other.

And with the new Quarq's - you aren't limited as much with the cranks - mine are - I couldn't switch the length if I wanted ... but now - you can - and you can use a wide variety of crank options... (unlike say Pioneer - which will not work with carbon cranks).

Just to let you know. Have no experience with Garmin Vector 3s ... but my friend has an earlier version - PITA to set up and calibrate. Another friend had an issue with a pod - due to damage while riding or something... but they seem pretty simple now to use as well.

Quote | Reply
jar70 wrote:
I have used Quarq's since their beginning...they are amazing. Outstanding customer service. Easy to setup and use. Calibration simple. Same BB - super easy to swap between bikes...but I have 3 Quarq's - one on each bike - partly due to BB issues and partly because I'm too lazy to swap them.

You can get L/R on the Quarq's by the way - but I don't really focus on that info - mine almost always read within 2-4% of each other.

And with the new Quarq's - you aren't limited as much with the cranks - mine are - I couldn't switch the length if I wanted ... but now - you can - and you can use a wide variety of crank options... (unlike say Pioneer - which will not work with carbon cranks).

Just to let you know. Have no experience with Garmin Vector 3s ... but my friend has an earlier version - PITA to set up and calibrate. Another friend had an issue with a pod - due to damage while riding or something... but they seem pretty simple now to use as well.

Many thanks! The Quarq's seem very good as i think i never heard anything bad about them...
The only thing making me hesitate is that my bike is nearly 3 years old and I am just not sure whether the next groupset i will use will be compatible or if I then need to get a new Powermeter as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jar70 wrote:

Just to touch on this briefly. I had Vector 2 pedals and I was not happy with their pods, setup or accuracy. They never tracked well with my SRM power meter or my Powertab Hub. Anyway, I am loving my Vector 3 pedals. Accurate, easy to install, no more dicking around. They track perfectly with my SRM and Powertap. All within a few percentage points, which is expected due to where they measure. Anyway, they are great. Whatever way you go there are a lot of good suggestions here. Vector 3 pedals (get the dual), Quarq, Powertap, SRM. All very very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered the power tap pedals? I had the Garmin Vector 2 and I much prefer Powertap pedals.
In Reply To:
Easy peasy to install much like the Vectors and less expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [davetri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetri1 wrote:
Have you considered the power tap pedals? I had the Garmin Vector 2 and I much prefer Powertap pedals.
In Reply To:
Easy peasy to install much like the Vectors and less expensive.

I actually did use the Powertap pedals after getting rid of the Vector 2 pedals. I did like them, but I ended up giving them to my girlfriend. I had no issues with them at all, but they are a bit heavy and tested a bit slower for me in the tunnel because of their profile. Accuracy wise they were pretty good. Much better than the Vector 2 pedals, but didn't always track consistently against my SRM. The Vector 3 pedals I actually bought from BicycleDoctor for ~$810 shipped...for the dual. I think that is cheaper than the old Vector 2 pedals and Powertap stuff. The Vector 3 pedals are what Garmin promised with the old versions years ago, but only could deliver now.

At any rate, the Powertap pedals are another very good option!
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap pedals are a sin to look at... bulky bricks

Vector3 if your gonna get pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanity wrote:
The only thing making me hesitate is that my bike is nearly 3 years old and I am just not sure whether the next groupset i will use will be compatible or if I then need to get a new Powermeter as well...

I honestly don't think this is very relevant unless you are going with aesthetics. Cranksets are usually pretty benign to the rest of your groupset. I'm running full SRAM Quarqs with a mix of Shimano stuff with no problems. Worst case, I could always swap out the rings if 12-speed demands something narrower in the future. Also, you can also put the Quarq on a new bike, and simply use a conversion BB if needed.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Do you prefer a particular pedal (Speedplay, Shimano, Look, etc.)? Yes = crank; No = pedals

Garmin Vector 3 use Look Keo cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some have mentioned power2max, and I would second their recommendations. I've had 2 units for about 3 years each (one classic, one type S), and they have been flawless. If you were to go with the NGeco or NG, you could also get a unit with Shimano's 4-bolt pattern to use the shimano chainrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Vanity wrote:

People who haven't swapped have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibycOXD-Mw0

I swapped a Quarq between my TT bike, road bike, and CX bike. TT bike was an old english threaded BB, and the road/CX bike were BB30. So my Quarq was GXP, got a GXP BB for the TT bike, and GXP adapters for the road and CX bike.

With one bike on a workstand, I timed myself and could swap the crank between any two bikes in 32 seconds. Because the GXP Quarq just uses one self extracting bolt, it's just a matter of loosening once and tightening once. Always lefty loosey, righty tighty. Unlike pedals that requires you to loosen twice and tighten twice...and they do so in opposite directions.

Also, keep in mind that if you're swapping pedals between bikes with different crank lengths, you should be sure that the computer you're using has the ability to set different bike profiles and crank arm lengths for each. I *think* the Garmin's can do this, but I don't believe the Wahoo's can. Because that would be a major PITA to constantly adjust those in your computer, or get inaccurate power data if you forget to.

If you choose to get a pedal based power meter, that's great. But to choose pedal based because it's easier to swap between bikes is not one of the reasons you should. If you like to travel a lot and rent bikes, the that's where pedals to me have the biggest advantage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next