Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post IM depression
Quote | Reply
Is it common? I just did Lake Placid, my first one, over a week ago and I thought I was gonna shoot myself yesterday. I just feel like I haven't done anything. Does that happen a lot?
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [german101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is quite common. Just focus on recovery and rest the next month, you're supposed to do nothing the weeks following the race, relax.

Also with the focus of the race now gone, you might feel your life is empty. Take this opportunity to re-focus on things that you perhaps negleted these past few months, maybe family, work, hanging out with friends, etc.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Last edited by: smartasscoach: Aug 4, 04 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You described it...it just seems empty. I feel like I have never done an Ironman.

I am doing just some spinning on the stationary, and I will swim starting next week. I'm saving it for running until about week three. Is that fine?

Does that happen to people who have done multiple IM? they have that depressed feeling afterward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that plan for recovery is fine. And remember to keep every workout short, and only one at a time.

Also for the next weeks, stop focusing so much on triathlon training, and more on other aspects. And give yourself some credit for finishing your first IM, CONGRATS!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been writing a lot, stocking up on (and reading) new books, I bought a few new CD's (Joanna Newsom is an absolute genius) and I've really enjoyed going to the movies and walking around the city with my wife. All the things I had very little time for previous to IMLP.

As far as training goes, I've just been doing some very unstructured swimming and biking and simply turning off the alarm if it goes off and I still want to sleep some more.

I think that "slack feeling" of having lost all the structure of a firm IM training schedule breeds a bit of depression, no doubt, but embracing your freedom now is very important because before you know it you'll be ramping it up for your next race(s) and this downtime will feel like a pleasant dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, that plan for recovery is fine. And remember to keep every workout short, and only one at a time.

Also for the next weeks, stop focusing so much on triathlon training, and more on other aspects. And give yourself some credit for finishing your first IM, CONGRATS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard of this but never experienced it.

Finishing Ironman is a great athletic acheivement. For some people, it also takes on other significance. Depending on what that significance may be, it could actually turn out to be a disappointing experience in the aftermath.

If people somehow expect things to be "different" after they finish they are generally let down. Ironman is a selfish (but generally not externally destructive) thing you do for yourself.

I think a lot of people do it to prove something- not suggesting this is the case with you my friend. Finishing Ironman proves you can swim 2.4 miles, ride 112 miles and run 26.2 miles, which is a remarkable achievement. It doesn;t prove anything else at all.

All that said I thik you deserve a reward for your accomplishment: Some rest, some nice food and good company, a new set of sheets for the bed and some time at the movies if that is your thing. Basically all the things you couldn't do when you were training. Maybe even take a nice vacation.

Also, it does pay to get back out and do something- maybe something new. Learn to SCUBA dive, take kite boarding lessons, do something with your fitness that will expand your horizons.

Most of all though, give yourself credit for what you have accomplished, becasue within the realm of our little sport it is quite significant.

My congratulations. Well done.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the first week i sat on the patio drank a beer and read a good book(al franken).

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my friends said that things would be so different afterward. Well, I didn't grow a third eye or got my hair back. You are right, It was a very long swim, bike and run, and very selfish. Life goes on as usual, except you have completed a challenge in life.

Thank you so much everybody for the explanations and tips. I guess it has to be put in perspective in the big scheme of things. Overall, it was quite fun, and that is what matters.

Very wise words Mr. Demerly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it common? I just did Lake Placid, my first one, over a week ago and I thought I was gonna shoot myself yesterday. I just feel like I haven't done anything. Does that happen a lot?

this is very common. you've had all of this build up to your big event and now it's over. so, what now? you've got this big void and lack of focus on the big event.

so, what I encourage you to do is address this void, by scheduling yourself a two hour planning session. In teh session, go over your gaols for the next year and identify some things you'd like to do-and make them as specific or as detailed as you would like at this time. Perhaps this is time where you agree that you're going to find a half mary or a 10K to do and within a few weeks you start training for that, and you map out your goal for the race (by time, fitness, whatever). Or perhaps this is a time where you get on the internet and research other events to do, and develop timelines for them, etc.

the point is, if you outline what your plan is you'll feel alot better and you will have some direction. this is the perfect time to weight train, do some local races, get back to hiking or whatever else you couldn't do, etc. put these things in your plan so that you can look forward to them and you won't feel such a let down. (remember none of it has to be tri, or any type of sport. it can be totally different things that are not athletic at all)

it takes a few weeks to transition-just don't pressure yourself.

good luck! kittycat
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 4, 04 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also wonder if there's something biochemical that goes on with some people, even if they don't think they get a runner's high when they work out. I never thought I did.

Finished my first marathon in late February, had some loose plans for the rest of the year and everything. March I pretty much took it easy- workout if you feel like it, if not no guilt. It was all part of the plan. But it seemed like the only time I felt happy and human was when I was out exercising.

The funk finally lifted about a month after the marathon on the day of my first sprint tri of the season. All was suddenly well and good again.
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. I guess it just has been such a superfocus, training all the time, and then the race. I do wonder about the chemical thing, because the high is not there. hmmmm....

I am looking forward to my bike race (or more participation) two months from now. I'm sure the funk has cleared up by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh god - post IM depression, hell I'm having pre-IM depression (IMC) right now - no shit - and you throw in the fact that I'm gonna be depressed afterwards.

WOW

I do believe the training alters the chemicals in your body in all sorts of wild ways. I keep telling the women in my office going through menopause (sp???) they got nothing on me. But they just tell me to go to hell.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I told this to a friend of mine that did this IM, if that is how women feel sometimes, oh boy. I hope you will be like Tom and not get it. It sucks. Just keep busy afterward. Everybody is so right.

I hope I didn't offend any women. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLP was my frist ironman. I took it very easy the week after the race - full rest for 3 of 7 days, a couple very light swims + spins and a short easy run at the end of the week. This week I took Monday off, did a short ride yeserday and an easy run today. I honestly feel perfectly fine = like I did not do an ironman 10 days ago. This surprised me alot because from what I had gathered before the race, I had expected to feel much more beat up for much longer since I ran the whole marathon (slowly). In fact, I am REALLY itching to get back to training + racing because: 1) I feel good physically; 2) I have no psychological burnout; 3) I have the time from work (and good weather) this time of year to train; and 4) riding, running and swimming (in that order) are my favorite things to do. That said, I am aware of the general consensus that 4-6 weeks is the absolute bare minimum to race again after an ironman.

All that brings me to the conclusion that rather than burnout the simplest reason many of us have the post-IM blahs is that we cannot (or should not) do the things we most enjoy for several weeks after the race.

With this by way of background, there are 3 sprint tris in my area over the next 3 weekends. I'm thinking doing the races each Sunday (and taking it easy each Saturday in preparation) would keep me from going for long rides + runs these weekends. Is this a really, really bad idea (me rationalizing to do something I want to do but have been told I should not) or a good way to beat the post-IM blahs by getting back to something I really enjoy as soon as I feel physically able to do so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Common stuff I think...I may be depressed, I dont care enough about anything right now to think about it. ;-P

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amongst many chemicals, adreniline is a biggie. I used to race a superbike and come monday I thought I was going to die. I was so lethargic and my brain felt like something was missing. From what I read your body releases cortisol to counteract the high. Almost like needing a drink to cure a hangover, I would do something a little exiting to get the pump going and that would help a bit. Few days later and all would be well. This was reason #2 to stop racing, I just couldn't handle the post event blues.

There is a good book out there how we become adreniline junkies and why it's so hard for us to rest and slowdown. Sure makes sense to me, as we feed a hungry machine that doesn't like it's treats to go away.
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bridge to Bridge coming up dude. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had a great race dude. Congrats. I had your number, but my cell phone didn't work up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very glad that I had the foresight (maybe stupidity) to sign up for Timberman, Aug. 22. IMLP was my first IM, and it SEEMS that I came out of it quite healthy, but I'm hoping I'm in shape for Timberman. Anyhow, signing up seemed like a good idea at the time, and it has certainly helped me to transfer my focus forward to T-man rather than backwards towards LP, thus doing a lot to keep depression at bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that people I know read this site - thus I no longer put really personal stuff up here as it has a way of getting back to me somehow. But I know for a fact that this has been an issue for me year after year. I think that is the reason I get my name on the next race. Since IM, where my girlfriend and I had an awesome time...I have been a pain in the ass, miserable person to be around. I have no desire, no drive, no ambition. I wonder why, when and if. I can not make sense of my being...this on top of illogical fears of physical neurological melt down and worsening of my little neuro problems (Go Team Neuro!!!). I think I need to get my name onto another race before all of the people I care about leave me for greener pastures.

Panama City anyone? But hell, i dont know if I really want to do that.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm already signed up for a mountain ride in September I think, and a swim relay for the Duke half.

Like I said, if my friend wouldn't have talked to me yesterday, I would have been up the shit creek in a chicken wire canoe. I was miserable. The weather didn't help much either. I almost quit my job in the last week. Not a good move.

Someone summed it up perfectly...we just need that adrenaline...constantly.

I would love to do IMFLA, but I am trying to pay off the credit card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did placid too and i've only worked out once since (30 minutes of mixed cardio in the gym). i'm very unmotivated. i keep setting the alarm to get up in the morning for a short run but inevitably i keep shutting it off and sleeping. i guess i need it. i think i'm going to do a 5k friday night and see if that kickstarts things. either that or it will spiral me into a deep depression.
Quote Reply
Re: Post IM depression [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only wondering if my body is not recovered enought to even do that, and it will do more damage in the long run. I'd love to just go for a quick run, but I'm afraid it will harm me later on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think there's nothing wrong with a 15-20 minute run 2wks after the race. if it hurts, stop and walk. i'm thinking that i might hit the tail end of my peak and actually have a great 5k. or i could be wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next