Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Holiday Blues
Quote | Reply
For the last few days I've been walking around in a funk. Nothing particular is the matter. Things at work are slow, the weather's a bit gray, but there isn't anything really bothering me.

Any one else having the post holiday blues? Any suggestions on how to get out of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you've got is the "mid-holiday blues," Matt- the season ain't over for another week. ;)

Ain't no way out of it except to get to it. Dive right into something and keep occupied. No moping.

Happy New Year!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Years has never been a big holiday for me. Basically, my wife and I struggle to stay awake until 10:30 while trying to keep our Australian Cattle Dog from panicking due to the fireworks.

My wife's last day of work in Jan. 4. Maybe my blues are actually a sense of impending financial doom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but the Christmas season is ongoing. Someone such as yourself should still be in celebratory mode.

My wife's last day of work in Jan. 4. Maybe my blues are actually a sense of impending financial doom. I assume she's leaving voluntarily, for a lifestyle change? If so, focus on the positives, the reasons you both decided to make the change in the first place. I don't doubt that it can be a bit scary, financially, but the rewards are worth it. Have faith!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You're correct, the Christmas season is still technically in full swing. Our pastor just left for a 3 month sabbatical in Sri Lanka of all places, so things are a little glum around the church as well.

Yes, the wife is leaving work voluntarily because we have decided it's more important for her to be a stay-at-home mom, than to earn a salary. I'm very excited about this change because it's something we've been working towards for a while, but I'm a bit apprehensive never the less.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're doing a fine thing. It is tough to bear the responsibility of wearing the Daddy pants alone, but the value of being there for your children is imeasurable. I have quite a few friends who have made the same transition, and had the same feelings that you have, and they have been fine. You will be too.

Having a few less things doesn't matter when compared to having the people who love you there for you.

I was kind of freaked out the first time my wife got laid off, and again the second time, but with a few adjustments, we are doing okay. And our three very demanding cats love to have someone to bug all day.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife did the same. Gave up her gazillion dollar a year job to stay at home with child 2, she kept working after having our first and always felt like she was missing out. We decided when she became pregnant that we would try to bank as much as possible so she could quit for a few years. My son is now 5 and my wife has just gone back to work part time. We had to change our lifestyle a little but it has been the best thing in the world. Don't be anxious, things have a way of working out. I'm sure your getting a lot of advice and encouragement and you'll see how much better it is for your children to have a parent all day instead of having them in day care. Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------

...If wishes were fishes we would all cast nets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you wanted us to post some Holiday Blues ... like:

Billie Holiday

Lord I love my man, tell the world I do
I love my man, tell the world I do
But when he mistreats me
Makes me feel so blue

My man wouldn't give me no breakfast
Wouldn't give me no dinner
Fought about my supper and put me outdoors
Had the dark clay make black spots on my clothes
I didn't have so many
But I had a long, long way to go

Some men like me talkin' happy
Some calls it snappy
Some call me honey
Others think I got money
Some tell me baby you're built for speed
Now if you put that all together
Makes me everthing a good man needs

I've seen worse hijacks.

Peace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The happiness of a P3 in the mail has turned to obessive worry and checking of all vechiles driving by my house. I now sit at work convenced I should be at home on my front porch. Poor Tibbs. ;-p

Cheer up you might be getting a late Christmas gift. :-)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pardon me in advance if this has been covered, I didn't read the entire thread.

Have you heard of S.A.D.? Seasonal Affected Disorder? It is a condition that afflicts people in winter latitudes where hours of sunshine are substanially diminished this time of year.

Treatments include light therapy (even a tanning booth) and just keepng busy.

Studies on people in prisoner of war camps revealed that when a person has a goal to work toward, however minor it may be, they are less susceptible toward melancholy mindsets.

So, when yu are in a funk there are, I guess, two strategies-

1. Escape. Healthy escape like books, movies and writing are good strategies, especially for athletes who are often a little too physical and not very cerebral. This type of activity may be a much needed change of channel and a constructive escape. Unhealthy escapes are (obviously) drugs, alcohol and chicks.

2. Attack. Boredom's worst enemy is endeavor. Come up with something to do and then do it. Keep that up. Even if it is minor make a big deal out of it and do it up right. That will get you interested in doing something again. You'd be surprised what walking across town in rotten weather and having to gut it out can do to re-orient your mindset. You get home feelng wet, cold and tired after a few hours and a hot shower sure feels good. All you have to do is get out the door.

Good luck, Spring is closer than it is farther!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes taking a little inventory of what is actually "wrong" compared to what is "right", and you can see the blues for the illogical thing they are. Seems like you are there already--because you recognize them for what they are, just blues.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive had a bit of the blues myself--but i found a lump in my breast and it's stressful because I don't know yet what the problem is...however, all of the running around, the slow time at work, it's like waiting to get over a slow time to go again. I'm ready to get back at it and make some money...plus I have a family hangover and my mother won't quit calling me--it's borderline harrassment. I've literally had to unplugged the phone.

"Are you there? Pick it up!!! Hello? Hello? I'll wait a second so you can pick it up. Kitty!!! Are you there?!?!? It's you mother! I need to talk to you!!!" Getting this message 8 or more times a day has made me nearly insane. For the love of God, quit calling me and harrassing me. I'm at my wits end wit that. It's been going on sice before Thanksgiving. God help me. (and no way I have I told her about the lump...and won't either unless I require cancer treatment, and even then I'll think twice).

kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your mom needs to see a doctor:

Dr. Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Post Holiday Blues [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's true that she needs some help. she's been crazy controlling and extraordinarly paranoid ever since I can remember. Medicine might help her, but she insists she's not crazy and won't go to see anyone. Some days it's all I can do to not call the nut house to take her away.

She's 71 and getting worse. I think dealing with her is what made my Dad get cancer--lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can she take care of herself? My GF's mom came to the conclusion that she (the mom) was not able to care for herself anymore, and has chosen an assisted living facility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell her you want to barrow 60 grand for a boob job and a harley ,she is off her rocker if she calls back ,time for an assisted living facility.

If she calls only once a week or so, the test was a success .
Quote Reply