Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Possible damage to bikes from a trainer?
Quote | Reply
I write articles for the local tri club's newsletter. Next month I plan to tackle indoor training options. I don't like to recommend a rear wheel mounted trainer without explaining my reservations to this particular choice.

As a disclaimer, I am in no way, shape, or form an engineer. My problem with rear wheel mounted trainers is the forces that the bike has to absorb. The way I see it bikes are engineered pretty well to do the job they were designed to do, i.e. transfer your available power into forward motion. The frame needs to be able to absorb some road shock without sacrificing too much rigidity. In any case, I don't think bikes are at all engineered to be fixed at the rear axle. I like to illustrate this to others by having them think about what a bike looks like from behind when a rider is standing and hammering up a hill. Lots of side to side motion right? If that rear wheel is fixed in a trainer those type of forces have to be absorbed by either the frame (mostly the rear triangle) and the trainer. I argue that over time this COULD cause fatigue and damage to the bike frame. My suspicion is that this type of trainer is also hard on the rear hub, but I would have a hard time backing that up.

I also say if you have a second bike that isn't your race bike go for it. I also don't think you will have any problems if you stay seated. Some of my friends like the Spinerval videos. I think if any damage is likely to occur it is from these hard sessions where you are out of the saddle hammering away.

Opinions? Testimonials? Real engineers to tell me to stay in the humanities where I belong?

Chris Sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Possible damage to bikes from a trainer? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read on a website somewhere that a trainer will cause no problems at all for your bike. However, I have never trusted that, and I seldom -- if ever -- use my good bike on the trainer. I have an old Cannondale road bike (fat, round tubes, downtube shifters) that I use almost exclusively on the trainer. I also use this old bike on the roads occassionally as it is very comfortable (it's actually a touring bike). But for the most part, it stays on the trainer. I am very, very uncomfortable clamping my good bike into the trainer.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the answer to this one is fairly easy. There are thousands of indoor trainers. Find one example of a bike that failed after being used on a trainer, where the possibility of trainer causing the problem was even remotely considered. I'll be interested in your findings.

Second answer...

Don't stand up and hammer, rocking side to side on the trainer. Solves that problem.

Personal opinion...

I don't want a bike that is so fragile that I can't ride it on the trainer for fear of it breaking. That, IMHO is a piece of garbage bike. I've put a 1000+ miles on my trainer, my wife has done the same. We both ride average aluminum bikes. Other than a scratched skewer no problems. In fact, I think I was stronger biker in the spring after a winter of trainer rides, than I was in the fall, after a summer of riding outdoors.

For as many times as I've seen this topic, I'm embarassed to say I've missed all the evidence showing the damage trainers have done to bikes.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My belief is that "no-trainer" policies are more of an excuse for a frame manufacturer to get out of warranty coverage on their product than they are about any actual damage cause by the trainer. I wouldn't worry too much about mounting any bike on a trainer, but if you do don't admit it to Waterford, etc. if/when your frame breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible damage to bikes from a trainer? [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not noticed any damage from riding my race bike on my trainer either. I used to ride my old bike on my trainer thinking that it would cause damage but I stopped doing this last year when I wanted to make an effort to adjust my settings and really get used to my race bike on my trainer during the off-season. It is just so much easier to make adjustments when the bike is stationary and all my tools are right next to me. Plus my wife slapped me in the head when she could not imagine having a frame so flimsy that it would not be able to handle being on a trainer (her way of telling me that I could not buy another bike).

A couple of obvious and already mentioned points - you have to change the skewer otherwise it will get totally scratched, the back tire will wear down on the trainer from riding flat (the only certain wear down) so plan to get a new tire after the winter if you put serious miles on the trainer, you can't realistically rock the bike side-to-side but standing up is totally OK (see the Spinerval videos), and sweat on the frame can rust and cause damage (use a sweat guard).
Quote Reply
Re: Possible damage to bikes from a trainer? [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Second answer...

Don't stand up and hammer, rocking side to side on the trainer. Solves that problem. " I agree wholeheartedly. I have almost no reservations telling someone that their bike will be safe in a trainer if it is ridden in this manner. I also agree that if a bike is ridden mostly sitting down, that yes, it should be able to hold up to any stress put on it by the trainer.
"Personal opinion...

I don't want a bike that is so fragile that I can't ride it on the trainer for fear of it breaking. That, IMHO is a piece of garbage bike." Not necessarily. It is not that the bike is fragile, just that it was not designed with the intention of being fixed in position at the rear wheel. The rear triangle is designed to flex up and down under a load (rider weight). A lot of side to side stress on a rear triangle is the kind of thing that causes misaligned dropouts. But, you're right, I've never had in my hands a bike with frame problems that I could attribute specifically to it's having been used in a trainer. sweet sweet[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look at it this way- my Trek OCLV has a lifetime warranty which makes no stipulations against damage from a trainer. This tells me two things: 1) if trainers did indeed increase the risk for frame damage I would expect that manufacturers would be explicitly posting a disclaimer to the frame warranty, and 2) if I do damage the frame in the trainer (which I haven't in over 3 years, and I do about 2K miles/winter on the trainer) it's covered by Trek.
Quote Reply